PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King 10 minute preview on Two Towers DVD

leigh
08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Well, I rushed out earlier as soon as I had word that my local music/dvd store had stock of the TTT dvd and bought a copy before they were even put on the shelves.

Needless to say the first thing I watched was the tantalising 10 minute preview of ROTK - and OMG it is AWESOME :drool:

Viggo looks HOT (of course), and from what I have now seen of the film I am absolutely dying of anticipation!! Minas Tirith looks EXACTLY how I imagined it would, the Paths Of The Dead look awesome, and Shelobs lair is going to kick some serious ass!! :D

The battle for Minas Tirith is going to make Helms Deep look like Childs Play. This film is going to blow people away!!! :buttrock:

And as for the preview of the extended edition of the film - OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!

THE HUORNS ARE AT HELMS DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO glad that they are including the huorns - I thought that their appearance at the battle and their consequent destruction of the orcs and uruks was by far one of the creepiest things in the whole book.

We also have a lot of Boromir and Faramir, as well as Denethor, the ent draught AND it looks like we will also see Merry and Pippin scrounging around the supply sheds at Orthanc after the trashing of Isengard - something I was just assuming would be in ROTK.

Hmmm what else.... oh there is also the scene in Mordor where Sam and Frodo are trying to climb down the cliff using the Elven rope - such a cool scene in the book.

So much other cool stuff too - I CAN'T WAIT!!! Mostly I am excited about the huorns though :D

wgreenlee1
08-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow,sounds great but I think I'm going to wait until November to get the extended version.
Maybe even wait til right before the release of ROTK.

If I can wait.....
:scream:

SheepFactory
08-25-2003, 04:47 PM
I HATE YOU! :cry:

why do I have to wait one more day :(

DiOrio
08-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Last time I waited for the extended version I ended up with the widescreen because that was all they had that version in. I'm just going to go ahead and buy it tomarrow. Can't wait!

NiPeR
08-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Leigh: Are you going to create another LOTR character when the extended arrives?

I really hope you do, they're awesome.:thumbsup:

BTW you know anything about the languages? You seems to be very interested in LOTR. Just wondering.

Thalaxis
08-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DiOrio
Last time I waited for the extended version I ended up with the widescreen because that was all they had that version in. I'm just going to go ahead and buy it tomarrow. Can't wait!

Why would you want a non-widesreen version?

leigh
08-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by NiPeR
Leigh: Are you going to create another LOTR character when the extended arrives?

I really hope you do, they're awesome.:thumbsup:

BTW you know anything about the languages? You seems to be very interested in LOTR. Just wondering.

I might make another character :D Thanks, I'm glad to hear you like them!

I still don't know much about the languages, but would love to learn, maybe later this year when I have some free time. I do love Elvish though - it's such a beautiful sounding language, and the Elvish script is stunning - I have an Elvish tattoo on my one wrist :cool:

I am going to buy the Extended edition as well when it comes out - I have both releases of Fellowship - they have different stuff on them.

As for widescreen - I personally much prefer widescreen! I can't understand why anyone would want a normal version....

Thalaxis
08-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Leigh

I still don't know much about the languages, but would love to learn, maybe later this year when I have some free time. I do love Elvish though - it's such a beautiful sounding language, and the Elvish script is stunning - I have an Elvish tattoo on my one wrist :cool:

Have you a picture? :)

I am going to buy the Extended edition as well when it comes out - I have both releases of Fellowship - they have different stuff on them.

I have both version of the Fellowship as well, and I think that
even though I've already pre-ordered a copy of the extended
edition of TTT, I will most likely get them both for the same
reason.

I wonder whether or not they will be releasing another gift set
with more collectibles? :)

As for widescreen - I personally much prefer widescreen! I can't understand why anyone would want a normal version....

I guess some people just don't like seeing the entire film at home
:)

markbones
08-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Elvish script is stunning - I have an Elvish tattoo on my one wrist :cool:
There's another thread right there - "Don't be shy, share your tattoos!"

I have been saving a Future Shop gift card since the beginning of June specifically spend it on TTT (Widescreen!). I do not have the patience to wait for the extended version, so I too will probably end up getting both. The extended version of FOTR added so much to the story, it was well worth it.

leigh
08-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Thalaxis
Have you a picture?

Indeed I do (http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/images/tattoo_01.jpg). What it means is a secret ;)

I wonder whether or not they will be releasing another gift set with more collectibles?

Yeah they are! :D This time it comes with a polystone statue of Gollum.

I guess some people just don't like seeing the entire film at home

Yeah that must be it :shrug:

Thalaxis
08-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by markbones

The extended version of FOTR added so much to the story, it was well worth it.

When I got my copy of FOTR extended, I invited some friends over
to see it on my sexy and then recently upgraded home theater
rig... all of us were pretty blown away by how much more we
enjoyed it than we had the theatrical release -- which all of us
loved!

From what Leigh posted here, just the previews alone will be
enough to entice me to pick up the regular edition this week...
and the only thing that would compel me to change my order for
the extended version is the option of getting one that includes
extra gooides ;)

DiOrio
08-25-2003, 07:36 PM

Well, as I just have a normal TV, the black space on either end of the picture is kind of annoying.

Thalaxis
08-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, as I just have a normal TV, the black space on either end of the picture is kind of annoying.

You do know how they accomplish that little hack, right?

In case you don't, here's a hint: it's commonly referred to as
"pan and scrap".

Redf
08-25-2003, 07:50 PM
I cannot wait for Tuesday.Great news 10 minutes of preview footage to add to the great movie,thanks for the info.:thumbsup: :beer:

SheepFactory
08-25-2003, 07:55 PM
getting the movies as full screen is the worst thing you can do.

you know they crop it real bad to fit your screen. Watch the widecreen to see the movie as it is meant to be seen.

NiPeR
08-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Indeed I do (http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/images/tattoo_01.jpg). What it means is a secret ;)

Sorry but I do can read some quenya. :]

Yes, I know what it says.:D

Thalaxis
08-25-2003, 08:00 PM

Nice! Now I guess I'll have to hunt down one of those books on
Quenya ;)

Yeah they are! :D This time it comes with a polystone statue of Gollum.

Hmm... well, looks like I'll have to change my order. Oh well, no
biggie :)
[/B][/QUOTE]

Clorets
08-25-2003, 11:42 PM
For the widscreen thing...pan & scan is not the always the solution

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/video-format.htm

Valkyrien
08-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Thalaxis
Why would you want a non-widesreen version?

my thoughts exactly...:surprised

???
08-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Its here !!!

???
08-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ???
Its here !!! *scream*

ChewyPixels
08-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Just saw the preview...freakin' awesome!:drool: I know what you mean Leigh by "dying of anticipation." I feel exactly the same. December's not near enough. Oh, the agony:annoyed:

Thalaxis
08-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Well, I know exactly what I'll be doing on my birthday... but it
doesn't make waiting for December any easier :)

Dirtystimpy
08-27-2003, 12:36 AM
the ten minute preview thingy rocked. They say the battle will make the last one look tiny, can't wait till december either, but did you watch the preview for the extended edition in Nov? that will be great also.

Thalaxis
08-27-2003, 01:31 AM
I haven't picked up my regular (widescreen, of course :)) edition
yet. I have my pre-order in for the extended edition gift set,
though :)

Since we have long weekend coming up, I'll probably pick it up
and watch it over the weekend, I think. Based on Leigh's post,
I'd say it's well worth it :)

mr_nebel
08-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Wow! I've watched it 3 times in the last day plus the stuff they had on the TV news about it :D

The bit that makes my head stop is when Christian Rivers is plotting the battle and he says "here we have formations of 1000, 200, 2000, and 10000" (dunno if thats exactly what he says). Oh and the number of Riders of Rohan is just insane :applause:

BlueCougar
08-27-2003, 01:55 AM
For those interested in the dialects of the elves; some links to some good resources.

The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship (http://www.elvish.org/)
Ardalambion (http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/) -Site dedicated to all of the Tongues of Arda, the invented world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Sindarin - The Noble Tongue (http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sindarin.htm) - the "other" elven dialect apart from Quenyan-awesome and in depth resource all the way down to pronunciation.

Just a few and here an old article about learning elven on Suite 101.
So you want to learn Elvish? (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/27807)

I also had some Truetype fonts of elvish at one time. They are out there on the net if you look, if I remember right one even had a guide on how to use it. Enjoy!

Kenn

lildragon
08-27-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
getting the movies as full screen is the worst thing you can do.

you know they crop it real bad to fit your screen. Watch the widecreen to see the movie as it is meant to be seen.

For certain, and here's the thing, DVDs are the new wave of television viewing and tele's are being built for Widescreen more and more these days, it's just on so much better, can't wait to pickup my 47'-50' tele when I move into my new pad.

The Extended edition comes out when I move so I'm definitely holding out again for that gem, I'm not getting trapped into buying two sets of the same movie :p

-lild

Dirtystimpy
08-27-2003, 02:15 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>I'm not getting trapped into buying two sets of the same movie >>>>>>>>>>>>

I hear you there, thats why I rented it. I was gonna get the 4 disc like last year, but the $50 comes w/ a gollum(if its not a plastic piece of junk) i might pick that up instead, I'll have to wait and seeeeeeeeeee.

Valkyrien
08-27-2003, 05:02 AM
it is here as well...watching it as we speak...

I can't describe how much I love this movie. And another thing, by the time v2 came out if I hadn't bought v1 I would've probably rented it enough times that buying it would've been more economical;)

Dirtystimpy
08-27-2003, 06:36 AM
yeah, and If I'm my usual blockbuster renter, I'll forget to get in it on time, get late charges, I might as well as bought it too.

MacRonin
08-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lildragon

...can't wait to pickup my 47'-50' tele when I move into my new pad...

WOW!!! 47 - 50 FOOT telly! We're all coming over to your house for the marathon...

;^p

On a side note, who here thinks (like I do...) that there will be a super special edition of ALL the LOTR movies, with a bonus DVD containing the secretly filmed Peter Jackson rendition of 'The Hobbit'...?!?

Knocking on wood...!

Dirtystimpy
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
your prob right, but...
you know the star wars will have that when all 6 are on dvd, then there will be the special dvd then the platinum dvd, then the special platinum dvd, just like they did w/ the old trilogy on vhs, how many versions were there???? I was a victum of buying 3 sets!

DiOrio
08-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Well, contrary to everyones advice, I bought the fullscreen. It is really good, even though I may be missing an extra two inches of scenery. Before anyone flames me, I was going to buy the widescreen, but my parents don't really understand the concept. They just know that in widescreen, the blackspace takes up more than half the television. So, I guess its just a matter of personal preference.

MacRonin
08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
...They just know that in widescreen, the blackspace takes up more than half the television...

ARRRGGHHHH!!!

This absolutely infuriates me!

"But you see more of the picture on fullscreen..." says Abbott.

"No, you see more of the picture on widescreen!" replies Costello.

Wake up folks!

wgreenlee1
08-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Widescreen is your friend.....:thumbsup:

DiOrio
08-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by MacRonin
ARRRGGHHHH!!!

This absolutely infuriates me!

"But you see more of the picture on fullscreen..." says Abbott.

"No, you see more of the picture on widescreen!" replies Costello.

Wake up folks!

Well, I'm sorry I made you angry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Perhaps you should just watch your widescreen version and grumble about us stupid fullscreen viewers to yourself. It's like posting about how much a mac rocks in a pc forum.

leigh
08-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Has anyone found any easter eggs on the dvd yet? :)

Valkyrien
08-27-2003, 10:03 PM
nothing so far, though i haven't been actively searching for them.

nothing's popped up on dvdeastereggs.com either

ambient-whisper
08-27-2003, 10:10 PM
the easteregg is a 3.5 hour preview of rotk :)

jschleifer
08-27-2003, 11:04 PM
haven't seen the extras yet myself.. how are they?

-jason

Dirtystimpy
08-27-2003, 11:14 PM
extras> same ones from the WB and STarz, I had already seen them, but I just watched the little short by Rudy! aka sean astin.

Jason- I loved your gollum test they showed at the Maya booth this year in San Diego, ripping the statues head off.

oh, I also loved the preivew for the extened version, gonna be some good stuff.

leigh
08-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
the easteregg is a 3.5 hour preview of rotk :)

Hahaha if only! :D

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by jschleifer
haven't seen the extras yet myself.. how are they?

-jason

heh suffering from a little bit of a time crunch there?;)

mr_nebel
08-28-2003, 01:59 AM
The first of the featurettes from the net had a really horrible american accented voice over but luckily the rest didn't.

Karl Urbans comment about playing spot the bad guy with wormtongue is rather amusing.

noxy
08-28-2003, 01:59 AM
It's like posting about how much a mac rocks in a pc forum.

A better analogy might be "like posting how much truespace rocks in a houdini forum".
I understand that widescreen can be irritating on a small tv, so whatever makes the experience more enjoyable. Just remember when you upgrade your telly to buy stuff in widescreen. I'll bet a large portion of members here are movie buffs, and movie buffs tend to want to watch the whole movie. Just don't ever buy Lawrence of Arabia in fullscreen, that would be a crime.

btw, that sneak peek at rotk was a bit lean, when does a theatrical trailer come out?

MacRonin
08-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, I'm sorry I made you angry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Perhaps you should just watch your widescreen version and grumble about us stupid fullscreen viewers to yourself. It's like posting about how much a mac rocks in a pc forum.

Ease up, greasy...!

I wasn't angry with YOU, I was angry with the overall mindset of the unwashed masses...

Widescreen rules!

Macs rule!

Fullscreen (pan & scan) & PCs SUCK!

;^p

Thalaxis
08-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Well, since we were blacked out last night, I went out and picked
up a copy of TTT (widescreen, of course :D), cranked up my laptop,
and watched some of the supplemental stuff before going to bed.

I haven't had time to watch the LotR.net featurettes yet, but the
previews for RotK and TTT extended looked awesome!

It will be well worth the wait... but the wait will be too long :)

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 06:16 PM
the video quality on the featurettes is, unfortunately, quite sub par...:(

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by mr_nebel
The first of the featurettes from the net had a really horrible american accented voice over but luckily the rest didn't.

can't possibly be as bad as the voiceover on the FOX special on FOTR...*shudder*

Thalaxis
08-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Valkyrien
the video quality on the featurettes is, unfortunately, quite sub par...:(

Hm. Well, d'oh.

Oh well... at least there is a bunch of other good stuff on it. I have
not had a chance to view Sean Astin's short film yet. :)

DiOrio
08-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by noxy
A better analogy might be "like posting how much truespace rocks in a houdini forum".
I understand that widescreen can be irritating on a small tv, so whatever makes the experience more enjoyable. Just remember when you upgrade your telly to buy stuff in widescreen. I'll bet a large portion of members here are movie buffs, and movie buffs tend to want to watch the whole movie. Just don't ever buy Lawrence of Arabia in fullscreen, that would be a crime.

btw, that sneak peek at rotk was a bit lean, when does a theatrical trailer come out?

Yes, when we get a bigger tv, I'll buy widescreen. I haven't seen the trailer yet, so I don't know, I would guess in the next month or two.

DiOrio
08-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Ease up, greasy...!

I wasn't angry with YOU, I was angry with the overall mindset of the unwashed masses...

Widescreen rules!

Macs rule!

Fullscreen (pan & scan) & PCs SUCK!

;^p

greasy! who are you calling greasy! Just kidding. I wasn't really trying to act angry. I just was trying to illustrate the point that for some, widescreen is the way to go, and for some, fullscreen. I personally do own a PC, but I do appreciate the mac as well, if I had some more money, I'd buy a bigger tv, and a mac! Until then though, fullscreen and pc are my preference.

ambient-whisper
08-28-2003, 07:42 PM
plus. those black bars are soo cool :D

tjnyc
08-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Just close the shaders and turn off the lights, those black bars will go away. :)

DiOrio
08-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc
Just close the shaders and turn off the lights, those black bars will go away. :)

That is true, now that I think about it. Hmmm.

igorstshirts
08-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Okay... So I'm one of those suckers that just bought The two towers on DVD and will buy the extended edition as well... But after watching it, I noticed something... In the scene where the Ent is carrying the two hobbits, it looks incredibly out of scale... Just a few minutes previous, our two small heroes were running under horses without having to duck and here, they are like one fifteenth the size of the tree. That would make the tree like three Gandalfs high... Is it Me?!:shrug:

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by noxy

there's one floating around. I got it before movies-list took it down, but somehow lost the file! and since i saved it directly to disk, it isn't sitting in my temp folder either:( a 24meg download, all for NOTHING

ambient-whisper
08-28-2003, 10:26 PM
theres a 3 minute one too. tttdvd_rotk its called.

Dirtystimpy
08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
yeah, I saw the one on the net, it was just pulled off the dvd. but I agree w/ valk, I want to see the theatrical trailer.

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 11:38 PM
so somebody with some editing skills must've ripped all that...but wait, how could they have done that without leaving the voiceoevers in? I've seen the 12 minute one, and some of the shots in the short on had voiceovers...this trailer has to be from somewhere else...

DoLeeP
08-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Just Congratulations CGNetworks and CGTalk
I will wait the 100000 :beer:
and I want to thank Leigh and tell him
for sure ur one of resons of CGTALK success :beer:
and time for having some fun :scream:

MooseDog
08-29-2003, 05:59 AM
my apologies for not reading the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned this is all just about a movie?

let's say this lasts three weeks in the theaters (if that). you go twice, that's approx. 30 bucks, for the privilege of sitting for four hours, and lotsa commercials.

exactly six months later, it's released on video, that's around 15 bucks and 4-10 viewings. all told, approx 20-30 HOURS sitting on your, well, sitting parts, .........................sitting still.

can you sense my enthusiasm for mass entertainment?

respectfully, cynically yours,

MD

Dirtystimpy
08-29-2003, 07:21 AM
"but has anyone mentioned this is all just about a movie?"

Same stuff my parents use to say. If I would have had the same attitude I would be happily(yeah right) working in a logging mill the rest of my life. Movies are what got me outa my town of 2000 peoples!

"approx 20-30 HOURS sitting on your, well, sitting parts, .........................sitting still.""

better not talk about my hours playing my xbox live, hehehehe

MD> start a forum on hunting, camping, fishing, snowboarding and I'll meet you there.

jschleifer
08-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MooseDog
my apologies for not reading the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned this is all just about a movie?

JUST a movie??!?! JUST a movie?!?!?!?

good god man, this is like my whole life!!!!!!

:D

jschleifer
08-29-2003, 08:49 AM
btw, that was a joke. :)

ChrisK
08-29-2003, 09:52 AM
The good thing about this DVD is, that they're using the storage almost to its fullest:

The movie weighs in at 7,800 MBytes, so it must be a dual-layer DVD.

The movie itself: Fantastic!

The only crit I have is, that while the camera move over the Mountains of Shadow looks very cool, Mordor only seems to be slightly bigger than my living room ;)

Okay, that was exaggerated.

Aearon
08-29-2003, 12:38 PM
ChrisK: keep in mind that the distances we are talking about here are not at all huge by todays standards. the fellowship is walking & riding though ;)

mikefeil
08-29-2003, 01:46 PM
the only crit I have is that there is nothing on the cg of the movie..I know there will be heaps on the extended..but at least one thing could of been mad....

oh and jason your in one of the added features....

anyway

MacRonin
08-29-2003, 05:47 PM
greasy! who are you calling greasy! Just kidding. I wasn't really trying to act angry. I just was trying to illustrate the point that for some, widescreen is the way to go, and for some, fullscreen. I personally do own a PC, but I do appreciate the mac as well, if I had some more money, I'd buy a bigger tv, and a mac! Until then though, fullscreen and pc are my preference.

I remember watching the widescreen version of "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" on a 13" color TV...!

Just because watching that movie in pan & scan would KILL some of the scenes...

If given the choice, I will always choose widescreen... And the Macintosh platform...!

Rented the widescreen of TTT today, missed it at the theatre...

Looking forward to seeing the extended versions when they come back to the theatre...!

And a Tolkien marathon! Great idea! But the theatre folks better NOT try and stop me from bringing in my own water bottle... I'll be damned if I am going to pay four bucks for less than 20 ounces of water...!

DiOrio
08-29-2003, 07:52 PM

And a Tolkien marathon! Great idea! But the theatre folks better NOT try and stop me from bringing in my own water bottle... I'll be damned if I am going to pay four bucks for less than 20 ounces of water...!

Just one of the downfalls of the movie industry. The concessions. As far as I know, the only profits the movie theater makes is on the concessions. But the prices are indeed outrageous. Just wear pants with big pockets.

jschleifer
08-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by isometrix
the only crit I have is that there is nothing on the cg of the movie..I know there will be heaps on the extended..but at least one thing could of been mad....

oh and jason your in one of the added features....

anyway
really? what was I talking about if it wasn't part of the cg? :)

-jason

Valkyrien
08-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by DoLeePoZ
Just Congratulations CGNetworks and CGTalk
I will wait the 100000
and I want to thank Leigh and tell him
for sure ur one of resons of CGTALK success :beer:
and time for having some fun

first off: wrong thread;)

second off: Leigh's female;)

P_T
08-30-2003, 06:32 AM

probably something to do with aragorn or vigo :p

would they have something like collection edition pack for ALL the extended movies after they released ROTK later? i'd buy that instead...

MacRonin
08-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Watched TTT last night (widescreen), and again today...

Great movie! Some cheese in there, but all-in-all a great movie!

Didn't bother checking the time, and was sitting towards the end waiting for it to finish, wondering when it was going to drop...

Remember, I hadn't seen TTT in the theatres...

And then BAM!, fade to black and "Directed by Peter Jackson" comes up... I yelled out "curse you Peter Jackson!", and went to the extras...

All I have to say, is I am glad I didn't buy the first release, and I might buy the extended release... At least rent it, gotta see the Ents moving in the trees to devour the legions of the White Hand...

Might just hold out until the whole shooting match comes in a super-ultra deluxo boxed set, with the bonus DVD of "The Hobbit"...!

Thalaxis
08-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I just finished watching it a few minutes ago :)

I concluded that I definitely need a subwoofer. Maggies just
don't cut it :/

I guess that means that it's time for another visit to the home
theater store. Oh well... maybe that will be my birthday/Christmas
present to myself, eh? :)

Naturally, I'll be purchasing the extended edition... which I've
already pre-ordered. Complete with a Gollum to set next to my
Argonath :)

I still hope that in the extended Return of the King, we get to see
the hobbits return to the Shire.

Dirtystimpy
08-31-2003, 02:22 AM
" still hope that in the extended Return of the King, we get to see
the hobbits return to the Shire."

Yeah, I hope so too, I could have sworn when they started these movies they said the ending would be off from the books, but we will have to wait and see.

ambient-whisper
08-31-2003, 02:32 AM
most likely will show em come back to the shire. but it wont be all controlled by sharky. Jackson said that he didnt want to have another story start after the climax has been reached. so when they come back itll be all nice.( well i expect itll be )

leigh
08-31-2003, 02:51 AM
From what I have heard (which was apparently from Jackson himself), the film ends with us seeing Aragorns death in Gondor, followed by Arwens death in Lothlorien (these events are told in the Appendices of the books) and then a fly over shot of the Grey Havens.

I think this would be a very sad way to end the film though, and I hope it isn't true :shrug:

I have heard many times in the past though that Jackson has absolutely confirmed that the scouring of the Shire will not be in the film. I guess it is kinda superfulous in the grander scheme of things, but I still think it's a shame that it won't be in there.

mikefeil
08-31-2003, 02:55 AM
damm..i wanted to see some hobbits kicking human ass..

jason - I'm pretty sure its you...your wearing a hat..and your with 2 other guys..crowded around a computer..weird?

heh

ill have a look and see what added feature it was in

Thalaxis
08-31-2003, 03:39 AM
Well, we can hope, I suppose.

I definitely hope that they don't mangle the storyling too much,
either way.

Babylon5 is a good example of having a new story begin after the
climax, though -- and it worked there.

The storyline was, in fact, almost exactly analogous to that of
The Lord of the Rings...

aurora
08-31-2003, 02:20 PM
I have heard many times in the past though that Jackson has absolutely confirmed that the scouring of the Shire will not be in the film. I guess it is kinda superfulous in the grander scheme of things, but I still think it's a shame that it won't be in there.

Personally I have been hoping for almost 5 years since I first heard about this tremendous project that they would not add the scouring in. To me it has been a major blahh point in the story. It tied up alot of loose ends but coming from the battle to the scouring as most realistic as it probably would have been well I just did not want to see that type of let down in excitment flow in a movie. I was hoping they would spend more time on the crowning of Aragorn, the wedding, the finding of the White Tree and end with the crossing at the Grey Havens. But regardless of how he pulls it together I serously doubt we will be dissappointed. You don't come this far in such a powerfully and masterfully down work just to have a crappy ending and Peter will prove this point to the hilt in just a couple more months!

Thalaxis
08-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by aurora
But regardless of how he pulls it together I serously doubt we will be dissappointed. You don't come this far in such a powerfully and masterfully down work just to have a crappy ending and Peter will prove this point to the hilt in just a couple more months!

That's most likely true... especially since Peter Jackson is trying to
make the Return an even more powerful film than TTT, and not
just in terms of having a massive battle...

lone
08-31-2003, 05:52 PM
for all the FULLSCREEN buyers who hate the black bars - when the day comes that you get a widescreen TV, you will end up having black bars on the sides of the screen! which means you'll just end up having to replace every one of your DVDs.

pickin' my WIDESCREEN copy up today...

Valkyrien
09-01-2003, 03:43 AM
well put lone!:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.