PDA

View Full Version : Issue applying motion from MotionBuilder to Characters in Maya

esse
08-25-2003, 12:40 PM
I have issues with Characters in Maya. When I create a character (character node), I cannot import motion from motionbuilder anymore.

I have to disconnect the character, import the animation, then reconnect the character. That is many precious minutes lost because I have to go to character relationship editor and reconnect every joint of the skeleton to the good character set.

Anyone else come accros this problem and found a better (faster) way around?

S/

mhovland
08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
If you have already figured out how to do it manually, it should be relatively painless to write a MEL script to automatically disconnect the character node, import the motion and then rebuild the character node.

This is exactly what MEL is made for :)

misterdi
08-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Have you plot the animation back from character to skeleton, before saving the fbx?.

Best regards,

esse
08-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Indeed, the animation is plot to the skeleton. Problem is that the script editor doesnt really show what's happening in Maya when you use the relationShip editor to connect and disconnect the character.

You get things like :
relationshipEditorBreakRelationship relationshipPanel1 characterMembership {"LeftShoulder","LeftArm","LeftForeArm"};

but I couldn't get this translated into a working script.

Btw, the character has subcharacters, which might get things more complex :-)

S/

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.