PDA

View Full Version : My demo reel

ErikDrouhard
01-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Hey guys I just recently graduated from the Digital media program at The Career Institute. I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my website and demo reel. Thanks.

www.erikdrouhard.com (http://www.erikdrouhard.com)

Teriander
01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Erik, looks like no one is interested in giving you any feedback, it's a tough community here, I know. Since Im a nice guy I'll be the first to do so...

Your demo reel says you're a 3D Modeler and Visual Effects, but I only saw two examples of your 3D. A car and a sword. I strongly recommend you expand on this. Companies consider your demo reel your best work, so show them something that will be better then the other 3D Modeler who would want the same job.

What was going on with showing footage of your classroom and outside your school's field? Were you showing an example of advertising skills with the banner at the bottom? Personally I would focus more on the green screening and other such effects. You want to show the best of what you can do. Im sure you're better than a banner at the bottom of the screen.

Hope this help!
Teriander

ErikDrouhard
01-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks Teriander for the feedback, I appreciate it! Personally I think I'm stronger with the VFX and editing than I am with the 3D modeling. I actually don't even have access to 3DS max any more. I just wanted to show I have a skill set that includes 3D. I've tried to use blender but its very different from max. The companies I was applying to had demo reels with banner type work, which is why I included the "advertising" project that you see.

Erik, looks like no one is interested in giving you any feedback, it's a tough community here, I know. Since Im a nice guy I'll be the first to do so...

Your demo reel says you're a 3D Modeler and Visual Effects, but I only saw two examples of your 3D. A car and a sword. I strongly recommend you expand on this. Companies consider your demo reel your best work, so show them something that will be better then the other 3D Modeler who would want the same job.

What was going on with showing footage of your classroom and outside your school's field? Were you showing an example of advertising skills with the banner at the bottom? Personally I would focus more on the green screening and other such effects. You want to show the best of what you can do. Im sure you're better than a banner at the bottom of the screen.

Hope this help!
Teriander

Sphinxthelion
01-11-2010, 01:35 AM
VFX and 3d are two similar but different disciplines. Pick one and master it. Then you can dabble with the other.

ErikDrouhard
01-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, I guess I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board and come up with some new material. I've been trying to find work with current this reel and I can see why it wasn't working. Seeing as I'm fresh out of school and I don't have any in field experience other than class time, how many new shots would I need to create? I've heard the reel shouldn't be longer than a minute to a minute and a half. Was there anything in my reel you think can stay?

Kareeem
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
just one more little tip there...if you have a model like this car for instance, wich seams to be okay, you should really try to get more out of your work with lighting, materials and rendering. its really important how you present your work.

ciao
karim

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.