PDA

View Full Version : The Third & The Seventh

Pages : [1] 2

ThirdSeventh
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi guys,

I want to share the final cut of my shortfilm "The Third & The Seventh". It is finally done and i really hope you like it!

A FULL-CG animated piece that tries to illustrate architecture art across a photographic point of view where main subjects are already-built spaces. Sometimes in an abstract way. Sometimes surreal.

HERE: http://vimeo.com/7809605

Compositing Breakdown: http://vimeo.com/8200251

Exeter Shot - Making of: http://vimeo.com/8217700

Credits:
CG
|Modelling - Texturing - Illumination - Rendering| Alex Roman
MUSIC
Sequenced, Orchestrated & Mixed by Alex Roman (Sonar & EWQLSO Gold Pro XP)
Sound Design by Alex Roman
Based on original scores by:
.Michael Laurence Edward Nyman. (The Departure)
.Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns. (Le Carnaval des animaux)
Directed by Alex Roman

Done with 3dsmax, Vray, AfterEffects and Premiere.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3355/thirdseventhweb.jpg

Of course, C&C are welcome.

All the best,

Alex.

mehdianim
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
First !

Those are some beautiful shots you have there, Thanks for sharing your making of videos too. Inspiring.

Pulsarplus
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
AMAZING work !!! :eek:
thx for sharing

azkuene
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I just want to pay tribute for this amazing work, incredible effort, passion for the detail and enormous talent.
Congratulations!!

Damabiah
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm still crying, the wind in the greenery... I can't understand it... it's too much awesomeness in one time for my brain.

SteveOlliffe
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
An absolutely beautiful piece of work, so visually stimulating, it truly moved me. Thanks you so much for sharing and congratulations on such a masterpiece.

MartinDay
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
It is just f*(*^^$&$ing incredible! Beautiful and poetic. I nearly cried...

Actually after this I'm thinking about quiting 3D and becoming... maybe a carpenter or something ;)

Seriously, no words to describe it.

RESPECT

tokanohanna
01-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Simply amazing. This is the best individual CG piece that I have seen. Its perfect. You should start your own company and build it from the ground up, if you have not done so already. You would be depriving yourself if you work for anyone with the amount of talent you have.

Favorite shot is the Windmills at 7:41. Can't get any better than that.

albertlin540u1
01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
"The Third & The Seventh" = "The Heaven".

You take the picture where we want to be.

Speechless.Moving picture just "moving".

yasima
01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi Alex,
First of all thank U for this peace of art... truly inspiring...
This is the stuff that dreams R made of... :applause:
Question: How... did U do it all by your self?
It seems like an impossible task...
I am an architect... doing... well... it's funny to call it arch viz after seeing your work... but I've had my share of max+vray+ps during the years... and I can not express my admiration for your level of talent and skills... really extraordinary... :eek:
I also have one small critic :blush:... I think (and I am not 100% sure :curious:) that wind turbines are rotating at the wrong (opposite) direction?!
Wish U all the best!

yasima

kiittea
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Awesome ...... and simply surreal ..... Ahhhh man love the cinematic appeal in your work. Brilliant cinematography. Highly inspirational ...

cbaristo
01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
just AMAZING, really well done...
Congratulations!

!Mis más humildes felicitaciones!

MBaker
01-05-2010, 06:43 AM
That was Epic! How did you manage to render that?

bartp
01-05-2010, 07:06 AM
perfect, just amazing. never seen anything like this before.

Maview
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Brilliant or Excellent!

One of the best I´ve ever seen in cg...Its like a fairy-tale!

congrats!

tylerdurden369
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Absolutely beautiful…

May I ask if the DOF was done in post or with Vray?
Did you use a render farm?

Maview
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Iam not Alex Roman ;)

but there are some further infos... http://www.thirdseventh.com/
DOF is postwork

tylerdurden369
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Maview,
sorry, but I can't see where you find the info about the dof in post…
Is it specified what plug-in has been used for that?

Maview
01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks Maview,
sorry, but I can't see where you find the info about the dof in post…
Is it specified what plug-in has been used for that?

U can see it in this vimeo-video http://vimeo.com/8200251
But what plug or software isn´t clear atm ;)

Jadetiger
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Somebody put this on front page for crying out loud! This is amazing!! I don't think I'm going to be able to do any 3d at work the rest of today, I'm just so blown away by it. I need to go take a nap. Alex you are truly inspiring. :bowdown:

leigh
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Ummm... wow. This is incredible. It's quite possibly the most unusual short film I've ever seen posted here. I love the abstract nature of the shots and the colour palette and mood are absolutely superb. Great music too, it reminds me a little of Clint Mansell. Congratulations on an absolutely stellar piece of work, this is going straight to the front page!

People, PLEASE, next time you post something like this, or see something like this posted by someone else, NOTIFY A MODERATOR. We don't monitor the animation gallery as closely as the still image galleries, and gems like this can be overlooked unless you guys let us know!

MrPositive
01-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I think I just cried. I'm not kidding. It's not the realism that gets me either. But the pacing, composition, abstract shapes of architecture, flow, and peacefulness of it all. Just awesome. Got to watch it again.....

And thanks to my former student 3D wizard herself Jadetiger for telling us about the piece.

leigh
01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I got a little misty eyed myself. This is a work of pure beauty, and it's so rare to see something of this calibre here. I'm absolutely blown away.

undoz
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
As I said before, watching this was a superb and revealing experience.
IMHO this short is a landmark in 3d rendering. The 3d medium was used in such a way to create synthetic landmarks where a photographer could play and control nature.

Your knowledge of cinematography and composition way surpass the technical achievement that's already at the highest level.

Things like this touch me much more than any multi million dollar vfx project. Sadly it takes a lot of sacrifice to complete such a task.

Thanks alot for sharing!

daw
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I can't find my jaw - it has to be on the floor somewhere… so beautiful:eek:

Intervain
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
wow - beautiful work - the compositing and lighting work in particular are stunning!

mad-
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Congratulation!!!
Excellent work ;)

Klemen
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Breathtaking. Beautiful.

Congratulations!

TwiiK
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I read "You have to see this" and thought: "Ohh well, maybe I should". This is unreal. :) This must have taken you your whole life to create? At least I hope it took that long or else I will cry for real from your talent. :p

I recognize a few of the shots from stills you have posted earlier. Seeing the vegetation from some of the stills in movement is just mind boggling. It's so realistic it puts Avatar to shame. I thought Avatar looked like very cartoonish and cg at times, but this is so unbeliveably realistic I almost refuse to believe it's all cg. :)

Best cg work I've seen ever. Better than any big budget movie or film.

aghill
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
wow... thats a game-changer!

Thanks alot for putting so much effort into that! That might be the best motion-picture experience i will have in 2010.

ThirdSeventh
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
WoooooooW guys!!! what can i say??

I'm truly amazed with the front page and all your warm comments!! Sincerely, didn't expected this, and i mean it... and i'm REALLY glad you liked it.

Thanks Leigh, Clinton... it's an honour ;)

Yep, DOF was all done in AE (Lenscare) but here i link an recent interview where there's probably some other answers if anyone is interested:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.entremaqueros.com%2Fbitacoras%2Fdimension%2F%3Fp%3D8386&sl=es&tl=en (Googled translated version... i don't konw how accurate can it be...) :rolleyes:

And the original one: http://www.entremaqueros.com/bitacoras/dimension/?p=8386

Thank you all once more!!

Cheers,
A.

@Jaime: Muchas gracias tio!! Me alegro mucho que os haya molado. Un abrazo muy fuerte a los dos! ;)

williamsburroughs
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Truly breathtaking work. :arteest:

RedXR
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Absolutely incredible!

Vimmy
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Very powerful short! I'm touch:thumbsup:

JDMedia
01-05-2010, 08:18 PM

WHO are you?!

ICB
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Wooow... I have no words. A work of art. Amazing. You made me see the CGArchitecture with other perspective.

Artbot
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Simply stunning. Be sure to watch the other, "making-of" reels. Your mind will be blown all over again. This guy has the eye of a painter. Amazing compositions. I thought that building was going to take off like a bird at the end.

http://vimeo.com/8200251

Ajouz
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I am speechless! great work!

kiboSVK
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Absolut awsome This is true art
U r absolut king of visualization
I am very happy I see this
GOOOD LUCK

TwiiK
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
This is undoubtedly some great publicity for Lenscare. I had never heard of it before, but I'll certainly check it out now and I'm pretty sure other people will as well. :)

I agree with aghill, this is a game changer. It's comparable to when Usain Bolt first entered the spotlight. You're welcome to compete, but it's no use. :p

vrf
01-05-2010, 08:30 PM
No words for this. Absolutely incredible.

INFINITE
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
This this over on the News section of CGtalk earlier today. Amazing work.

A stunning short film. Your patience and raw talent is just breathtaking :bowdown:

padfoot7726
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Thank you for something of this incredible magnitude, Alex. The artistic attention to detail and composition, the absolutely superb cinematography, the perfect, soothing, moving score, the various sound effects for the cameras and lights and leaves, the textures, the shading, and the animation! Was that a real person, greenscreened in, or was that cg too? If not, that must have been motion capture for the animation, at least! If that was synthetic animation, you are officially a DEMIGOD! :bowdown:
Seriously, both as a cg artist and as a person, I was nearly moved to tears by this film. I would REALLY appreciate some high res stills from this. Especially the shot of the papers reflected in the camera lens.
By the way, the Kubrick avatar is a perfect fit. He's the only filmmaker I could compare you to.

berniebernie
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow.

I sure hope to see a feature about the short & yourself soon enough!

Holy cow.

WyattHarris
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I need to type my honest first impressions before I forget them.

I'm watching the film thinking, "These are very nice and peaceful but I don't quite get it. 'The 3rd and the 7th', the title must explain what it means. Very interesting shots but they don't seem to go together very well to me. Art in Architecture, oh I see. Hmm, again these are very nice but why are they posted on CGTalk? Oh, I see, the big rain drops and clouds etc."

Then I watch the making of video. "Holy crap, that was all CG!" :D Fantastic work Alex. :thumbsup:

CryingHorn
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Man, all my respect... I'm sitting here and can't believe it was so good.

Awesome is the least I can tell, wow...

:bowdown:

JohnSpin
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Can't believe what I just saw. Just beautiful.

How long did that take from beginning to end?

iadagraca
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
thats some sexy 3d there, but i don't get the point O_o

i'm a photographer my self and i love that incorporation but i'd like to know if theres some other reason than just that...

Hordak
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
You know your Lighting and rendering... and texturing! Very nice!

Solex
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
a m a z i n g !

thank you for this masterpiece .

KayPoprawe
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
no words.. just two.

jaw dropping...

NickWhitmire
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
beautiful. amazing renders

JsGuillemette
01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
This was amazing. The grading is especially nice.

MOHKKF
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
just amazing .....:applause:

Mrguy
01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Simply amazing. Could you even round out how many hours you've put into your work?

Im beside myself.

Remi
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice work, the rack focus in every shot get's old personally, but I can definitely respect the amount of skill that went into making this. "The 3rd & The Seventh", would be "Painting and Cinema" correct? Where does painting come into this I wonder? The textures? I would think it would be "The First & The Seventh"....regardless, great job!!!

vlad
01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
thats some sexy 3d there, but i don't get the point O_o

i'm a photographer my self and i love that incorporation but i'd like to know if theres some other reason than just that...

Sometimes, looking for a layman explanation or precise descriptive definition when looking at a work of art is the wrong way to approach it. Just like abstract painting, poetry, music, dance, art moves you or it doesnt for either obvious or nebulous reasons proper to each individual spectator.

I think this particular piece is both highly poetic and technically exquisite.
Great work Alex, been following your work for a while and am looking forward to what you'll come up next.

Cheers

brasco
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
"Pioneering" doesn't quite come close does it? Amazing stuff Alex

brasc

ptownsimon
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing something this incredible! I'd be very happy to be able to produce this level of quality in a single still frame, let alone 12.5 minutes of inspiring work!

I was also curious if you have your own personal render farm and the approximate specs of it.

Amazing work, thanks again!

EquiNOX
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
First... You... are... amazing! I love it :love:
Thanks for sharing composting break down and exterior shots. I've learned some techniques from you.

BTW I understand, you have done it with 3ds Max, VRay, After effect and Premiere... Well, what is premiere? isn't that some other post-production software? where do I find infos about this?

elfufu
dang...i think vray just sold 500 licenses...
amazing!!

Liutkus
Gorgeous and breathtaking!!!

Aedilhum
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
fantastic, how long did this all take?

onix3dmx
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Alex, this is the most beautifull animation I have ever seen.

You really have taken 3dsmax art to another level.

Felicitaciones infinitas!

Debneyink
01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
What can i say? it needs no words!
As a max/vray user I've been watching your stills for some time.
I have always thought to myself: 'Put a moving camera in there and lets see some movement!' and there you have it!
You have a very exciting future ahead of you, to me this is a real 'game changer'...
What ONE person can do with the right software, talent and imagination...

congratulations.

http://www.lightparade.tv/index.php/chris-debney-motion

Sayris
01-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Just mindblowing, well done :bowdown:

manit
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
What can anybody say! I admire you for your passion.The detail is amazing, moreover, this is an outstanding piece of art. Excellent! Your are pushing your creativity to the limits. Keep working!!

ftaswin
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
just have to say something:

AWESOME!!!

Ft

p0rcupine
01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Simply beautiful amd stunning.

Can't imagine how much devotion had to be taken on the piece of art.

Absolutely amazing. :bowdown:

hto
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
amazing short, congratulations very inspirational, I love the shots the renders are beautiful.

mrR
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Absolutely Fantastic!
You are Perfect if you can do something like this!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Katachi
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I cannot say anything new, everything was said. It so good I was constantly doubting it was CG. The lighting, shading, color palette and well, everything actually was simply convincingly photorealistic but still remaining stylish. You made the best out of this for sure. Simply one of the best works seen here or anywhere else from a one-man show. :thumbsup:

You should increase your self-confidence in any case if you didn´t believe you wouldn´t be highly credited for this work. ;)

treboras
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
No comment could give this work the honor it deserves.

Stunning!

Hordak
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Still awed by this piece done by ONE man! How long did it take? And what kind of equipment do you have? I can't begin to imagine how long this took to render..

kiittea
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
People, PLEASE, next time you post something like this, or see something like this posted by someone else, NOTIFY A MODERATOR. We don't monitor the animation gallery as closely as the still image galleries, and gems like this can be overlooked unless you guys let us know!

Leigh, forgive me for asking this like a newbie, how can we notify the moderators?.

THX1311
01-06-2010, 01:03 AM
This, to me, is better CG than "Avatar"
best CG "cinematography" ever seen:buttrock:

>>EDIT<< I just Downloaded the Hi-res copy from Vimeo. again AMAZING!!!

The Color grading reminds me so much of the Urban Earth scenes in the George Clooney Remake of "Solaris" despite its apparent of $$Box office$$ Success I still find it one of the more visually attractive Films in recent years.
this short gives me the same artistic "vibe".
Also reminds me of the Mega City of "Libria" in "Equalibrium"

Talent and Artistic Vision rarely seen here .

CHRiTTeR
01-06-2010, 01:11 AM
simply beautyfull

e-moo
01-06-2010, 01:22 AM
breathtaking work...i love the realism in every shot...awesome!!
your work is really inspiring.

hey that's our (Bangladesh's) parliament building!! :D

cbaristo
01-06-2010, 01:33 AM
And then replies went from 20 to 80!!!
Oh yes. Deserved front page!

gjpetch
01-06-2010, 01:34 AM
A masterpiece; unequivocally, without exaggeration, this is a total masterpiece.

Quadart
01-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Brilliant.
Absolutely stunning work of art.
Truly breathtaking.

webhead
01-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Simply stunning! I'm awe-struck at what kind of effort and skill had to go into the making of this amazing piece of work. :arteest:

SciFibrow
01-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Beautiful work. For me, the film conveys the surge of emotion an artist feels when observing all that is wonderful in the world.

onix3dmx
01-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Autodesk should promote 3dsmax with Alex´s short, Is so inspiring!

Silverwing
01-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Wow outstanding peace. I´m still speachless!

I cant imagine how that is possible and I would not believe it if I hadn´t seen it with my own eyes!

This is a masterpiece of art. Simply the best in piece in video-art I have seen so far!

Thank you so much for sharing!

FusionDG
01-06-2010, 02:34 AM
A soulfully inspiring and, simultaneously, humbling offering of work from you, thank you for sharing this masterpiece. I've sent it to my architecture professors, I'm sure they will be moved as well.

gabriel

mister3d
01-06-2010, 02:48 AM
The care for lines and in love with architecture. Beautiful work. Nice to see something with such a passion which is done with the deep understanding of the nature of shot material, something beyond the meaning.
Did you render it with a brute-force approach? Also the grass and trees, how they were done?

heavyness
01-06-2010, 03:18 AM
My god... that was beautiful! Camera movements where so elegant and simple and some of it reminded me of some Stanley Kubrick camera work. The music and the movement was also so haunting... I'm really at a lost for words.

And yes, Autodesk needs to promote this. I think the next copy of 3ds max needs to have a still from this short on the box and when it's loading. Hell, next copy of 3ds max should be called 3ds max 3rd/7th.

Also, I am not able to download it from Vimeo (I am logged in). Maybe you hit a limit?

**Edit: just noticed Vimeo says I can't download it today... must be a daily limit.

LashkoAlex
01-06-2010, 03:18 AM
I still can't believe my eyes. One of the most spectacular shorts I've seen in every aspect.:arteest:

davius
01-06-2010, 03:31 AM
What words use? What to say? My feelings are so mixed up right now... humbleness, greatness. The excitement of seeing things the first time, the surprise of seeing the same things in a different way. The built (and natural) space, how magic it can be when you use the right lenses. I dare not call this piece any less than a work of art.
You really did move me with your work Alex. And I must thank you very, very much for that.

GeoLOu
01-06-2010, 03:59 AM
speechless***********

grzesiekj
01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Great work of art. Congratulations!

xxbinxx
01-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Goodbye Alex ! bye Everyone . I quit !
Looking for job in some Restaurant :D

freeflow
01-06-2010, 07:34 AM
i would have great problems to find the words to describe your work and skills, i just can say this is art and loved every single frame of your short, will watch it a million times and i'm sure i will find something new to stare everytime i will watch it, one of the best pieces ever
bravissimo!

PhuongDPh
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Goodbye Alex ! bye Everyone . I quit !
Looking for job in some Restaurant :D

hehehe, me too, what job will you get in a Restaurant? I'll be a waiter http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Okan
01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Can anyone mirror the 1280x720 version of this greatness somewhere please? There is a daily limit with vimeo so we can't download.

Raa
01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
No way!!! OMG!!! This must be the most amazing CG thing I have ever seen!! I can't even begin to comprehend how much talent, skill and knowledge is put in this work... If this was made by a studio of 20 people it would still be freaking amazing :eek:

selwy
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
HOLY MOLY, I'm shocked! How the hell... :eek:

edit: I saw it twice now and it is still hard to believe that this piece was created by one person!!!

ndeboar
01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
looks great, but just doesnt have enough narrative to cary me more than a minute. Cheack out Baraka, similar sort of film, but with some great messages told purely through visuals.

Locusta
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Simply: AWESOME!

Thumbs up man, for this great work.

mazab
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Nothing else to say except awesome.

leigh
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Leigh, forgive me for asking this like a newbie, how can we notify the moderators?.

You can report the thread, or simply PM a mod.

KaDDD
01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
just utcHHHHhhh ! ! !

i m not greeen , just admirative , and the gree is done per hulk
congrats its fantastic ,many emotions , i hope see you in director place quiclky

best regards

and thanks for share this film , its superb

kad

ps : plug , awards , all what you can find

AJ
01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Holy.
F**king.
Shit.

Felideus
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Absolutely awesome!! Eres un genio :bowdown:

tlggungor
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
masterpiece of architectural visualization

MaryamNademi
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
You should not be doing anything but directing....
You are too much for architectural visualization....

You are actually opening the gates for architectural artists..... I have noticed so many people re build your works and their pieces are also breath taking.... It's magic arise from your master pieces, no matter how many times repeated can still be front pages, can still be amazing.....inspiring.

From what you provide...we see...there is no limit to do what you love to do.... I am sure you have dedicated so many precious moments of your life.....

and I will be following you as, so many other people will. we will get inspired and we will learn from you...... and it is an honor.

I am more in love with what i do now and more passionate about my job, Thanks to you.

JustinPunio
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Simply stunning work. Very inspiring... thanks for sharing!

SpaceTik
01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Holy.
F**king.
Shit.
that summed it up nicely :D

PavelPetrenko
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Amazing film! I want download this in HD!

Ch3
01-06-2010, 10:54 AM
It's been a long time I've enjoyed an animation so much.
And all this work just by one person! Impressive!
Nice music as well!

Should the windmills turn the other way around?

jigu
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Very stunning and breathtaking video.

Where can I download this? on vimeo download limit seems over?

Tangled-Universe
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Congratulations Alex with this truly magnificent "short" ;)
I loved every second of it.
As a landscape artist I'm very interested to know how you did the vegetation, like modeling and animating (which plug-ins/packages).
I wish you the best in your future career, keep it up :)

Regards,
Martin

Chokmah
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I remember already seeing this before ... and I am still stunned by this short ...

It proves that over technical stuff, simplicity and composition are the most important stuffs in an animated or still work ...

Really congrats for this stunning work :thumbsup:

DaveWortley
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
@Alex Roman: I'm really interested to know what plugin you used for your Trees, they are the best CG trees I've seen by far, helped of course by some fantastic lighting and compositing but the movement and animation within them is fantastic.

And what plugin did you use for the cloud that appears in the room?

Bran
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
one word:

insane. :buttrock:

Pan3sar
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Just mindblowingly awesome!
Well er... hmmm... I think I should quit Mental Ray =p This is some insane stuff, what machine must you have used to render this out ? must have taken a while.

MrPositive
01-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Why can't I download this from Vimeo? Did it hit bandwidth for the day?
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm seriously rethinking some of my own comments from just yesterday, about team and individual projects, and what can be accomplished. One thing an individual can do that a team cannot, is have seamless integration of visual acuity and content of idea. Meaning, your piece can come off more seamless in both a visceral and narrative way.
Honestly, I know this is a cliche on the site, but I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU ACCOMPLISHED ALL THIS! And not in a brute force, effort kind of achievement. Usually, I'd be the one to chime in with, 'he just rolled up his sleeves and has talent'. :) But frankly, I've never seen someone, an individual, with a complete mastery over both the technical and artistic aspects as this. It's as if a creative director like Kubrick, Jackson, Spielberg suddenly had the technical aptitude to actually accomplish, to the note, what is in his brain. I'll be the first to say, that there are quite a few people than can create realistic graphics to this level, but not to where the technician is actually the director of his own moving piece of computer graphics art, that displays creative composition, abstract and surreal art, harmony, color changes to effect mood, etc. etc. . I think it's truly the first time I've witnessed it.
I think this is what we have all been hoping for since the advent of the first CG graphics render. The ability for an individual to take a tool and express visually through moving images, what it has most times taken large teams to accomplish for the last hundred years in film. I haven't been this stunned, on an individual CG piece, since I saw '9' at Siggraph five years ago.
Honestly, I hope Alex doesn't get work, and instead receives artistic grants to keep making more art.

I need to stop thinking about this animation hahahahaha

pixela
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Breath-taking, inspiring and truly amazing.
Congratulations :D

gjpetch
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
By the way, you should do a run of this on bluray and sell them online. There are SO many people out there with nice big HD tvs, and too few options for spectacular cinematic imagery to show off on those tvs.

jigu
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
@ Alex Roman : Your tree animation approach seems very interesting. I would like to know more about it.
Though I have only one little crit that when watching those trees, I see only leaves are waving/active to wind whereas I felt branches of trees a bit off to wind motion and a bit dead.

Did you use hair and fur to simulate leaves motion? (leaves are opacity mapped planes?) or particles approach or custom script?

One more question about clouds time laps movement, Was that footage or you made it in 3ds max? ( at 6:50 secs of video on vimeo)

Thank you and I would really love to download this. coz it's very refreshing to watch again and again.

TwiiK
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
@Alex Roman: I'm really interested to know what plugin you used for your Trees, they are the best CG trees I've seen by far, helped of course by some fantastic lighting and compositing but the movement and animation within them is fantastic.

And what plugin did you use for the cloud that appears in the room?

The cloud looks like a movie clip, but I could be mistaken.

The trees I think has been mentioned before are made with Onyx Tree (http://www.onyxtree.com/).

From this interview (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.entremaqueros.com%2Fbitacoras%2Fdimension%2F%3Fp%3D8386&sl=es&tl=en):
With some frequency including vegetation in your creations, what system you go to generate it?.

In this case was very important to me that the vegetation had "life" so I had to introduce wind in its entirety. I began to feel the wind system
<a href="http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.onyxtree.com/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhhcQQb3tiy9B1CasfHifN8Q1Fm2LA">OnyxTree</a>
but was not very effective in terms of memory and performance and we ended up developing our own system to allow me to generate hundreds of highly detailed trees with different wind patterns at a time and in the same scene. So I had to model and animate almost everything manually, madness.

jigu
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
He mentioned in interview that he didn't use onyx tree but developed his own system/workflow to create trees. for cloud he used fumefx I guess (I read in that interview? Hmm I also saw video of cloud formation tests on vimeo? looks like, it got removed?)

ha-dou-ken
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I was up all night thinking about this short. I literally couldn't sleep because of it. Magnificent Art. Essentially, While looking at your film, my expression was exactly like my avatar.In awe.

Bayaron
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
holy cow...

amazing! :eek:

BigPixolin
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
What The F*ck?
I seriously got chills watching this.
What computers do you have? My god I feel like I am stumbling over my words.
I would love to buy this on blu-ray.

I feel you are the best person at cg in the world.

inkydigit
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
excellent, very inspiring, thanks for sharing!

kissb
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
!AWESOME!

ps : rapidshare mirror by any of the proud owners? pleease?!?!?

TiMrozek
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Not that you aren't already aware but this seriously is some of the most incredible architectural and environmental rendering I've ever seen. I could watch this every morning, and probably will, before working to just get inspired to make awesomeness happen. Thank you so much for sharing this incredible work with us.

big-whoop
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
wow i am in awe. simply breathtaking and amazing work!!!
great job

kybel
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
im out of words , only one flashes through my mind - inspiration
but i really REALLY want to know where did u rendered this ? at NASA ?
the details are so impresive, its the best archviz video ever made! BY FAR!

seriously , on what computer was this rendered and how long did it took.
i would love to hear an answear, cant describe how curious im about this

cheers

oneandonlyDiscoStu
01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
You sir are insane!

NolanSW
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I was moved as well. NEVER....I MEAN NEVER...has a short film or an art piece moved me in such a way as this piece did. The use of space, movement and composition literally captured my soul. Truly nirvana and a masterpiece.

Irawan
01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm still crying, the wind in the greenery... I can't understand it... it's too much awesomeness in one time for my brain.

no other word for this masterpiece, you are simply the best!
thank you for sharing.

murdock64
01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
amazing vegetation, congratulations

Zeoyn
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Stunning!
How about an Award? LOL
Great work? :thumbsup:

Z.

Debneyink
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
lol i can think of one award and his name begins with 'O'...
...best animated short of the year...

Numse
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I´ve worked with 3d for several years and this is the best individual piece I´ve ever seen.. stunning! First of all you need some kind of award, and then you need to do a major making of. I want to know everything about this movie.. start with the animated trees and grass! :)

Awesome, you should be proud.

cecofuli
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
A new stone of architectural rendering.

The tree? Only the foliage moves, so I think the tree structure are a simply polymesh and the foliage are an animated VRayProxy in loop, with different start point, scatter with VRayScatter (or manually, I don't know that) :)

loocas
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
The shots are awesome. Pure and beautiful. Really, kudos for finishing such a piece!

However, I felt a little bored after a while. The music and the visuals were amazing, I don't have to repeat myself, but a little draggy. Also, the abusement of DOF in almost every shot will shortly start to hurt your eyes and gets a little annoying. It's cool and all, but the ever present strong focus change gets a little on my nerves after a few shots.

But as I said :buttrock:

VM
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
really impressive and smart! :)
I still don't really understand how you shaded the margins of objects, so they have some darkness and they don't look sharp... (I never used vray so I don't really understand all the stuff you're showing in the making of, but btw, thanks for posting that too!)

bkravi
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
The realm of dream, I can see passion, hardwork, photographer, composer and allrounder artist in you.
you are the perfect man with perfect eye for the nature, nothing can stop you...

No words to say.......nothing to ask...... just enjoying it.

Best of luck for next target... I will be waiting to see it.

ShinChanPu
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I saw the video yesterday and I'm still speechless.

What a masterly demonstration of technical skills, creative talent, sensitivity and movie-making sense. Someone talked of an "O" award... and maybe this work could open a new category.

No dudes en presentarlo a todos los festivales y certámenes que haya.

You're my hero... (o eres el puto amo).

***** + **

Wongedan
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
lol!
this is what happen if you let fine artist touch a computer.

you dont need breakdowns cuts or storyline, 12 mins NO problem, and i want more ...

it simply
touch my heart

bow down mister ..., bow down ... :bowdown:

-------
simple technical or modeling skill wont be able to achieve this level,
i see your artist professional skill level handling camera move, DOF, aperture , light balance, and composition

it is unquestionable you are more than just 3d artist.

instinct-vfx
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Just in case you ppl missed. There's an english interview as well as a tut on th auditorium scene on the-area :

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/bts/publications_by_alex_roman
http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/making_of_the_auditorium

Regards,
Thorsten

Artbot
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
.....and Premiere... Well, what is premiere? isn't that some other post-production software? where do I find infos about this?

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

Artbot
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
An interview posted in the news section thread explains a lot of things:

http://translate.google.es/translat...en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 (http://translate.google.es/translate?u=http://www.entremaqueros.com/bitacoras/dimension/%3Fp%3D8386&sl=es&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8)

I loved this piece, at least visually and musically. I wished it had a bit more of a progression of ideas toward the end, but it stands up well as simply a visual meditation, if you will.

It's interesting reading the comments here that make this short seem like some amazing new technology allowed it to be produced, when in fact it's pretty straightforward off the shelf tools that were used. He learned them rather quickly and applied what he needed for each shot. Nothing too complicated there, just focus and dedication. It's clear he has the eye of a painter for composition and color and light and really excels at the post processes. He even says in that interview that he dislikes modeling most of all the tasks.

Seeing as he is a proficient architectural viz artist, this imagery really isn't so amazing. What's amazing is the sensitivity and thought he showed in putting the elements together into a larger, beautiful work.

blasphemy3_d
01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Simply amazing.

You have a gift for light and composition. Compositing too of course :)

Congrats Alex.

fleety
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
blimey, thats tight

jtvergarav
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
mmm... This is the best CG I've seen so far.

noouch
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Awesome shots, great archviz reel. If you aren't up to your ears in work already, you will be now. Rock on :D

McFly
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I'll just join the fanboy group and say that this is by far the best lighting/rendering/texturing I have ever seen. Your mastering of every aspect of CG is just not human. I am amazed.

Well done and well deserved 5*, plugs, awards, you name it.

halo
01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Probably the best work I've seen on this board, even considering other work in context of their time.

Benchmark.

Would love it on Blu Ray.

Rogier
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Most amazing 3D video I ever seen in my life, and its all made by one person..

Amazing, fantastic, wonderfull and pure art.

miguelf
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Alex
First of all thank you for sharing with us....its an amazing work..a MASTERPIECE..you are a genius man...and you have a very inpiring work..congrats....i'm totally speechless...

Paul4wood
01-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Stunningly beautiful work! The pacing, the light and shadows, colour, textures, sense of space and motion play out with a gentle, yet powerful, sense of awe. A very soulful and respectful study of architecture and nature.

wakos
01-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Speechless! No words to explain what i feel! Nice lighting, textures are so good. Just stunning awesome film!

ZapperJet
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I downloaded this and watched it in 52" of screen. I was moved to tears. This should be shown on the largest screen we can find, to as many people as we can find!

Stalllone
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Very, very, very great work :D !!

Steve Green
01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Absolutely wonderful.

PhilOsirus
01-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Incredible work, truly motivating!

I hope to see more from you in the future:)

Digiegg
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
You have just lit the fire under Architecture my friend.
Amazing visuals! Bravo! Bravo!
I can't wait till I see how you managed to come up with such beautiful visuals!

DoubleSupercool
01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
That was . . . something else. I haven't been really gobsmacked in a while but almost every shot in that piece was stunning. Truly cinematic/photographic.

Bravo!

Bftws
01-07-2010, 01:41 AM
That is hands down the most realistic and best composed 3d work I have ever seen.

TAVO
01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
that is the most realistic scenes a have seen in a while.

but why if you take the time to set-up those complex scenes, didn't take the time to play more with your camera moves??, maybe a couple of aggressive movements or something else, don't get me wrong, the film is amazing but you could do it more varied, specially after 10 min. of practically just DOF and panes IMHO.

But the work is just awesome, congrats for the hard work.

luispages
01-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Felicitaciones Alex. Me he quedado sin palabras.

ArmisticeML
01-07-2010, 03:52 AM
that is the most realistic scenes a have seen in a while.

but why if you take the time to set-up those complex scenes, didn't take the time to play more with your camera moves??, maybe a couple of aggressive movements or something else, don't get me wrong, the film is amazing but you could do it more varied, specially after 10 min. of practically just DOF and panes IMHO.

Well, I see it better to have the camera still. It adds to the serene and quiet mood IMO. :)

JBoskma
01-07-2010, 04:09 AM
This is glorious... thank you for sharing.

rawwad
01-07-2010, 05:20 AM
WOW, That´s AMAZING. The quality of work is incredible, love it so much :thumbsup:

Light86
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM
That was truly amazing work, I mean possibly one of the best I've ever seen. The use of camera work, the atmosphere etc was all well made.

It has really insipred me.

A*!

ELCALVO
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Congrats Alex, really, you've made a great piece!!! pure awesomeness, incredible photorealistic look, amazing and subtle camera effects, the color is incredible, beautiful Alex, please KEEP IT UP!!! :bowdown:

Felicitaciones Alex, de verdad, de todo corazón deseo las mejores cosas del mundo para ti, un artista con tanto talento y que con este tipo de trabajos muestra el verdadero significado de constancia, dedicación, esfuerzo y de amor real por lo que se hace, es una pieza impecable que va a inspirar a mas de uno en el mundo, gracias Alex, un millon de gracias y por favor nunca dejes de hacer lo que haces, un saludo.

ZacD
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Amazing stuff, I just got the video set up as my desktop background. The composition/cinematography of the shots are beautiful.

elvis75k
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM
awesome work. Truly insane stuff and stunning cut and sound. You deserve a special prize for this!

reinier1980
01-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Absolutely inspiring! Amazing lighting, rendering, composition, texturing..... and so on....

perfect short.

andrewpyott
01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Consider my mind blown... all over the floor... and part of the walls... must get somebody to clean it up... after I watch it again...

No me puedo creer lo que has hecho aqui tío. Yo preguntandome que coño hacía un corto de imagen real en el CGSociety... que es 3D?!¿! No me jodas! (Siento ser vulgar, es simplemente que se me han olvidado el resto de las palabras del diccionario). Creo que yo tambien voy a dejar el 3D. Mucha suerte con todo.

ja3d
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Congratulations Alex, really a beautifull work, I love the composition, lighting and camera moves, i hope see you in next MD again.

Regards.

Shletten
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
This is too good to be true. You deserve money and awards for this! I can't wait to see more work from you but I couldn't watch 4 other movies like that. :p

OggieBoogie
01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Beautiful work Alex.

Im curious about how you went about modeling, animating and rendering the foliage?

Cheers!

KIDI
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
amazing stuff, awesome composition/cinematography :bowdown:

Wolfie
01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
What ?!
No , I mean , ... really ... what ??!

I have never seen anything like this in CG ... I don't know what to say ... E-P-I-C !

imFeodor
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Very very beautiful work, you Leonardo da Vinci in 3D! :applause:

TwiiK
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
It's promoted on the front page of vimeo with like 10 times the likes of the next video. That's pretty neat. :)

EmreGoren
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
outstanding ! congradulations..

PaulDubbelman
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Did you also do the architactual designs? If you did not, who did, I am very impressed.
If you did, than you've blown my mind on another level.

mickatt
01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
A master piece of work!!
great sense of lighting and editing

jemjemjem
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Your work is beautiful and inspirational.

Thanks for sharing

hydesign
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I hate you! :bounce:

PERFECT WORK! YOU ROCK! :buttrock:

Helios7
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
such stunning imagery

the lighting sets the mood

the background music has proved highly emotive

the structures are simply eye-candies

have to watch it multiple times to notice all the subtle details

very awe-inspiring, alex! well done to the max!

DorianVasco
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, there is nothing to add to the comments above...

But it would be very very nice if somebody could mirror the file. For some reason I am not able to download it from Vimeo :-(

ThePriest
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
It's poetic and a testament to how CG can be used as an aesthetically pleasing art-form.

The score was subtle and complimented the piece beautifully.

agour
01-07-2010, 05:42 PM
absolutely amazing

jasonkey
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Stunning quality, color, and composition. Also reminded me a little of Kubrick's 2001. The DOF swapping got to be a little much for me. It also felt slow, but in the right 'art film' setting, like a museum theatre, it's probably just right. I think I'll need to watch it on my home theater to fully appreciate it.

Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

PhilOsirus
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Oh one thing I forgot to mention: You should DEFINITELY mention in the video which locations those are, and who the architects are. You know, the whole "you can't take a picture of the Eiffel tower at night" deal. I don't care personally, but things have gotten crazy when it comes to copyright in the past few years, and it'd be a shame for you to get any trouble over this.

Great work again, I hope to see more from you, and you just motivated me to buy a better PC so I can finally start to work on those too-intensive-to-render pieces:)

okazaky
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
It's really hard to find the right words for this piece of work. You turned CG into real art by doing this film and it's simply beautiful.
Especially the nature shots are incredible and I really love the flying books.

How long did you work on the film?

Best regards,
Daniel

Jelo
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Looking at the vegetation, wind in the treas, leaves and branches moving independently, it looks so real... the complexity, my brain just melted!

LemonNado
01-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Kinda lame... It's not in 3D and it got no Na'vi in it!

Haha, just kidding. Awesome!
Best wishes for the new year!
Rainer

Essex
01-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm inspired and depressed at the same time. haha

Thanks for sharing!

Tims0l
01-08-2010, 01:05 AM
I already said it somewhere else and Im going to say it here again, this is awesome!

best use of lighting and com positing ive seen ever

Boucha
01-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Breathtaking ... inspirational and very artistic! This is insane CG, so beautiful to watch :thumbsup:

DB3D
01-08-2010, 02:53 AM
hopefully its ok to ask, but is this available for HD download?

FrizzleFry0
01-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

LorenzoS
01-08-2010, 04:11 AM
Simply, Mesmerizing!

sacslacker
01-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Man, that was a real treat to watch. What an absolute masterpiece! Thanks for sharing this. I loved it!

kiranreloaded007
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
that's incredibly awesome piece of CG work:bowdown:

cardboarddog
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
One of the best pieces of CGI film making ive ever seen. Absolutly Stunning!!

learn
01-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Theres not much to add after 14 pages...Just perfect

exerc1ser
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Very great work. I am absolutely stunned about the fact, that this video is created by a single person.

koolnits
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes,one of its kind!:bowdown:
had seen the teasers earlier,but final output is outstanding! :thumbsup:

Junpei
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
1st, teach me, 2nd, I hope you're working on Avatar 2. :|

JayG
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
My hat's off to you sir.

Varechina
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
this is incredible man, simply love the surreal scenes especially the one with the blood pattern on canvas, amazing

rip
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
My craneo's off to you _Ramón María del Valle-Inclán_.Hugs man

Larry_g1s
01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Stunning and speechless. Everything is on such a high level, where does one begin to pay compliment. Great work.

Xestion
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
WOW! Hats off to you my friend :bowdown:

XianPalintir
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I (neather my workmates) can't find the words to tell you how beautiful this is . Thank you for sharing. Inspiring!!

ahven
01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I quit 3d. :banghead:
Just kidding.

It´s so good it´s breathtaking.

My portfolio is 2 cents worth after seeing this. :arteest:

ps: You should also credit original model by Adam Hecht. The complete model is not all made by you :curious:

Speednut
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
ok, are we missing out something here or did this guy also arrange the soundtrack to this masterpiece with the quantum leap library??...(that's at least what I got from this auto translated interview!?)
that by itself would be sick, not to mention this incredible visual journey...

If yes dude you're the Michelangelo of digital arts, the McGyver of audiovisual experiences......:arteest:

ahven
01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Based on original 3d model by Adam Hecht. :D

http://vimeo.com/8217700

time: 0:18

MisterE
01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I didn't realize this ENTIRE thing was CGI (sans the green screened actor) at first, until I quickly checked back and read the description on the first page. Wow.

I'm not sure if this has already been said in a 15 page thread filled w/ tons of praise, but....I think this is the type of inspirational work that will be copied over and over again but will never truly be duplicated to the success that is this short CG film.

I also thought the beautiful cinematography reminded me of movies such as "Gattaca". Then when I saw your shot of the jet plane flying over the steel structure and you queued up Michael Nyman's "The Departure," I knew immediately where you got most of your inspiration ;-P

Absolutely all around (modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering, compositing/editing, music editing) phenomenal job! Congrat's on the front page plug as well. Well deserved!

digitalputty
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I know it has been said over and over again but ... this work is inspirational and truly amazing! You are a genius!

Hats off to you!

TerryTrefry
01-09-2010, 04:35 AM
This is absolutely wonderful to watch and listen to.
Masterfully created through and through.

weerawan
01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Supurb!.I love the tree.Very realistic.

MaryamNademi
01-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I also thought the beautiful cinematography reminded me of movies such as "Gattaca". Then when I saw your shot of the jet plane flying over the steel structure and you queued up Michael Nyman's "The Departure," I knew immediately where you got most of your inspiration ;-P

Thank you for the info! :)

01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
wow.. just wow...
very good job.

Dutchman
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I haven't posted on CGT for about 2 years, but I really couldn't hold myself this time.

Amazing work... It's obvious that your technical skills are top-notch, but above all: you have stunning creatieve skills and a GREAT TASTE! :cool: Ando ánd Calatrava ánd Nyman in one film... that's just great! The expanding of the Milwaukee-museum was incredibly moving to me... Fantastic! Your earlier posted artwork of the Ando memorial library inspired me to study Ando's architecture, and later turned into my favorite architect.

I had expected to see a complete studio listed in the closing titles, but it appeared it was all done by one person. That's incredibly inspiring. I'm looking forward to hear how you did this (on your own!) - did you only work on it in sparetime? What was your motivation?

:thumbsup:

Ecleposs
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
amazing ..really amazing
the words is not enough to describe the aroma your work put me through not to mention the aftermath effect i had after watching your movie
your work inspired me beyond what you can imagine ..really
i made some bad decision regarding my career
now it's time to fix what once went wrong
thank you for sharing your art with us

SkullboX
01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Uncannily good... never thought I'd say that about any Arch vis. The only thing I noticed, and this is really nitpicking, was the large amount of focus pulls in the beginning. There seemed to be slightly too much in succession. Loved the split screen stuff.

Niklas Collin
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I hope Alex doesn't get work, and instead receives artistic grants to keep making more art.

Quoted for 100% agreement. This piece is without doubt the most stunning short film I've seen in my life. And damn if I'm going to see something like this once again - I'm waiting with enthusiasm.

Steve Green
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I would love to see it projected at a cinema - it would make a lovely short before a main feature.

I could imagine a company wanting to repurpose it as a 3D/Stereo demo short.

zres
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
this is so real and beautiful, I almost cry when I see this. this is the best I have ever seen.
can you tell us how long it tooks to render that scenes ?
the music is also beautiful, you must be a multi talented artist.

Zookoo
01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm in awe with how you did all this without a team! Beautiful work Alex! :D

mahmoodtariq
01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
if there is saneness in the world then this is insanity
if there is life in the world ...then this is out of the world
if there is magic in the world ... then this is wizardry

this is the height of beauty one can acheive through visual medium ....this is just wat dreams are made of .....u usually would love to be in these places ....atleast id love to be standing there in those surreal locations feeling the breeze on my face

alex ..... ur piece is one of the most amazing individual cg efforts done to date ...id love to see this in 3d stereo on imax ....... i truly congratulate u ..... u hav used out vray to its limits and i recommend u plan out something to maybe commercialise ur truly amazing short .....id love to see ur short making out some millions in some way ....maybe in some deal wid some online video sharing site or something ........ just like the paranaormal activity phenomenon or the panic attack short getting a 30 million deal for movie rights ..................

best of luck alex ........and congratulations once again........im signing off inspired ....

Djampa
01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
You raised the bar in all senses here.

WOW!

I already sent you a message at Vimeo, but can't miss posting here as well.

This piece is one of the best I saw in my life.
It's already historical now :D
Wait for many awards to come yet!

Congratulations,

My best regards

Seemoo
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Absolutely beautiful work.

Tremendously inspiring. Thank you for this.

Simon

TP
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
since i saw the teasers of this film quite some ago, i had no doubt when you will publish the final film it will send the world of cg Tumbling , i think this is the biggest achievement in 3d to date :wip: , unmatched beauty , insane work of art :eek:

ciarand
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Awesome work Alex, I have always loved your work, it has spawned a lot of imitations but nothing has ever beaten the original! This short is amazing, can't wait to see more work from you. Oh and thanks for sharing your breakdown of the library, very inspirational! :thumbsup:

yolao
01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
This work is a Masterpiece!!!

This film shows artistic and technical mastery in every aspect. Is completely astonishing and breathtaking.

NormanBates
01-10-2010, 01:55 AM
just one man working with only a QX6850 and a i7-920 to create and render all this? are you kidding me?

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

and by the way: the makers of the software cite should be paying you big bucks, especially the smaller ones: I can only imagine vray, lenscare and looks are going to see a sizeable increase on sold licences thanks to your AWESOME work

vikiyeo
01-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Wow.. I lost my words!

LOTK
01-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I loved watching your work, it is a new level of arch-viz with a great directing and emotion, as most have said. When I was working in arch-viz, somewhere deep down I was dreaming for this kind of elegance in a piece of work and you have achieved this!

I was also surprised with the breakdown as I did not expect the CG to be at that level and extend. Great textures, lighting and composition, a key to your superb picture quality.

The only two crits I would humbly add are the repetitive lens depth variations occurring at the beginning of your short. And, in some shots the models felt like miniatures, perhaps because of the depth effect again or the lens fov.

The amount of work for the quality you have achieved is unbelievable, I will be looking out for any new works of yours in the future! You are a source of inspiration;)

Steve Green
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd argue that the DOF on sequences like the theatre were a choice, rather like the fake minature tilt shifts that have been around - I suppose it could look like a mistake rather than a stylistic choice, but that's my take on it.

Considering how meticulous the rest is, I'd plump for a chosen effect.

Kai01W
01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow! Technically and visually one of the best shorts I have seen since quite some time!
I am too very interested in how you achieved the CG trees if you feel like not giving any of your secret tricks away by saying more than it was your "own system" :-)

-k

deatheater4ever
01-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Wow !! That was spell bindingly stunning !!
Congratulations and accolades on achieving an amazing feat Mr Roman.
It was not only exhilarating and beautiful , but also extremely inspirational .

Wish you the very best of life .
And thank for providing us with the divine visions in your head.

Gthoma2
01-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Truly, an inspiring piece.

Congratulations, this is amazing.

Continuumx
01-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Thank you Alex! I have been watching your inspirational renders for years and now it all makes sense.

This is a master work of what modeling and rendering means. I would like to see this submitted for an Oscar, it is a moving work!

State of the Art Masterpiece!

R3desiGN
01-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I love how it's wonderfully put together. Such a peaceful atmosphere and breathtaking realism. Thank You for delivering this emotional bomb. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Grrrrrrr
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
2 words. SICK, and.................depressing.

I got the link from a friend. I didn't get it was somehow 3d related until the flying water bubbles. Then i read bellow: "Fully CG". JESUS CHRIST!

I need to know how much time it took?

Solbester
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I saw the shot breakdowns very clever.. google sketch up, Max and vray with after effects and premiere. Very not bad I like how you extended your imagination. One question how do u get those trees and their movements? great work!

NormanBates
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I need to know how much time it took?

In the interview he says it was about a year and a half (fulltime, but with some stopgaps), and using only a QX6850 and, later on, an i7-920 :O

here (in Spanish):
http://www.entremaqueros.com/bitacoras/dimension/?p=8386

sathe
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
You're a genius! :arteest: