PDA

View Full Version : Individual Short - Jungle Life

SteveOlliffe
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year to all.

I just finished a small character animation project I was working on during the last quarter of 2009.
This is the first time I have been able to concentrate on doing some character work since leaving uni over 2 years ago, so was great practice and seriously made me think about and develop my knowledge of animation as well as really push my biped rigging capabilities.
I finished it the week before christmas and only just got the audio back from a friend last week so here it is in it's entirety.
Hope you like it and please feel welcome to leave any comments or critique.

Jungle life on my website in web-based quicktime format http://www.so-animations.co.uk/GalleryMovieJungleLife.html
Jungle life on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4IXGvJDW-A

Software used, Softimage XSI, Photoshop and After Effects.

Thanks for taking the time and all the best for the year ahead.

mehdianim
01-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Hey it's a good start,
I am guessing you deliberately left the insect invisible ? It seems odd since it keeps the monkey busy for a good while.

your punchline would be more satisfying if the character's emotions read better. He should really get annoyed with the fly, then extremely happy and proud of himself for catching it. Then karma taking it's toll, he gets eaten by a plant.

Or if he's just the loser monkey then the fly could get the best of him, make him look really defeated. Then when he sits by the plant to mope about his crappy life the plant eats him, and we'd all feel sorry for the pour thing...

Work on stronger poses and timing overall to get your point across in animation.
I hope this helps a little.

mehdianim
01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Hey it's a good start,
I am guessing you deliberately left the insect invisible ? It seems odd since it keeps the monkey busy for a good while.

your punchline would be more satisfying if the character's emotions read better. He should really get annoyed with the fly, then extremely happy and proud of himself for catching it. Then karma taking it's toll, he gets eaten by a plant.

Or if he's just the loser monkey then the fly could get the best of him, make him look really defeated. Then when he sits by the plant to mope about his crappy life the plant eats him, and we'd all feel sorry for the pour thing...

Work on stronger poses and timing overall to get your point across in animation.
I hope this helps a little.

SteveOlliffe
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks very much for your feedback,

Yes I did keep the fly ivisible intentionally as when I thought about adding the fly I imagined it being too small in the frame to really be disguinishable, if you know what I mean. Without going outrageously wild with the design I thought it might look like just 3 or 4 black pixels flying around the frame and so I decided against this to focus on the monkey. Would you have chosen differently?

This karma feel definately makes more sense and working on stronger emotions is something I am aware I need to focus on and practise. I did the short with the idea of it possibly becoming a series, so if I get around to making another episode, which I would like to at some point, then this is definately how I will approach the story.

Again thanks so much for your input and advice.

mehdianim
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey, to answer your question, yes I would have had a black dot, or better yet an exotic looking bug to go with the rest of the jungle.
You could cut to a close up of it just to show it. then just have the dot fly around. You can still give lots of personality to a dot.

I'd love to see your next episode !

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.