PDA

View Full Version : Programming Tests

08-25-2003, 05:30 AM
Out of curiosity do any of you work as programmers in the gaming/vfx industry? I've heard that before they hire people, some companies usually give a programming test. Is this true and have any of you professionals taken such tests? I'm curious to know as to what kind of topics do these tests cover specifically. Like what kind of things would they ask about C, math, physics, and so on?

Are they as hard as the ones we take in university?

Gooberius
08-25-2003, 07:56 AM
When I first tried getting hired in the (games) industry I was asked at a couple of places to sit tests as part of the interview procedure. The level varied from place to place, one place had me do a fairly straightforward C++ test, another had me do a test which required more knowledge of game systems and math (it included questions on optimisation, collision detection, graphics etc). None of the tests from any of the companies were particularly tough to be honest, and never as long as a University exam (thank <insert favourite deity here> ;)).

Basically, whatever job you're going for, if you're fresh out of Uni these companies don't expect you to be Jim Blinn or John Carmack straight away, but they do expect you to have a reasonable grounding in the area you're going to be working in. You should already know something about the field, and, if you're a true geek, you should be constantly reading around the subject to gain more knowledge anyway. These tests are more to sort the jokers from the serious people.

aurora
08-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I have been tested a few times when interviewing. Like Gooberius, stated it varies by employer. My first job it was just pretty much a verbal test where the lead programmer came in and just asked several rather basic c\c++ question that just about any programmer could answer. Others have been sit down at the computer heres a scenerio problem fix it, optimize it or write it, run it/debug it. For the most part they are pretty simple, nerve racking but simple.
However heres one horror story. At my last job we had a real arrogant little #@$#! who was interviewing new programmers. We had a major problem we had been trying to solve and just could not get around it. He would take the interviewies into the library and present the problem to them and try to get them to find a fix for it for him. This went on for almost a month till he finally found someone that proposed a viable answer but ended up hiring someone else becuase they lived only a couple minutes away and was single so that they could get stuck working the 70-100 hour work weeks we were enslaved to.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.