PDA

View Full Version : A silly question about painted textures and photo textures...

ronaldomiranda
08-25-2003, 04:35 AM
i really cant figure out difference between:::

1. If I have a big-resolution photo....with the exactly bump
and color that i want.....

2.from the same resolution file, iddentical, but, otherwise, painted...

Will the Layout think:

well, this map is photo....so i will not render cool....???

Can anyone explain me this???

thanx.

Howzat
08-25-2003, 07:04 AM
um... what?

angus1965
08-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ronaldomiranda
i really cant figure out difference between:::

1. If I have a big-resolution photo....with the exactly bump
and color that i want.....

2.from the same resolution file, iddentical, but, otherwise, painted...

Will the Layout think:

well, this map is photo....so i will not render cool....???

Can anyone explain me this???

thanx.

Perhaps posting a few renders will clarify what you are trying to say because I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

Mechis
08-25-2003, 08:42 AM
I think he's asking whether it matters if you use a photo or a painted texture. I say- use whatever you have. As long as it looks good, who cares?

richpr
08-25-2003, 01:18 PM
It makes no difference to Lightwave whether the images are hand-drawn/painted or from photography...

They are just different types of images and can both be used in the various texture channels of lightwave... you can even mix them too if you want, together with procedurals and gradients...

ronaldomiranda
08-25-2003, 01:28 PM
ok guys......let me try explain again (I know my english sux, here south america ------------> portuguese is my native language)

i meant:

Evebody says that painted textures goes better than photos.

But, if I have, a photo, that is exactly what I want for texture something, (well, i agree that how will be a photo of i want texture???, but just a supposition...) with a great resolution and if i made too, a painted texture, with the same resolution, etc...

will be difference in the final renderer? if they are iddentical,
except that one is photo and other is painted????

I hope you understand me now....

HUGE THANX

Chagidiel
08-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Hmmm...:rolleyes: Are you saying that YOU notice some strange difference in the render outputs... or are you just wondering because someone has said there should be a difference?

I can understand that generalization (that painted images work better than photos) since you, as you paint them, have larger controll over pixel detail. Photos can contain lots of hard-to-notice-by-viewing detail that might show up strange when used as textures, especially in bump, spec, diff etc.-channels... BUT (I guess there is no reason to tell you this... but anyway ;) ) nor LW, nor your computer pays any interest or attention to how an image is created or who created it or whatever in this case. It only sees an array of pixels, each with an individual value of RGB.

SO... if you donīt see any problem with your rendered output, I see no reason bothering about whether an image used as texture originally is a photo or a self-painted image. On the other hand; if you DO see strange results on your render (when it comes to surfaces using the texture in question) it might be due to differences in information in the image that you perhaps didnīt notice by viewing it.

ronaldomiranda
08-25-2003, 02:32 PM
No Chagidiel, i am just wondering about it....
Nothing made here! but thanx....your reply gave me some
lights about my doubts.

Zarathustra
08-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Using photos
Pro: It's a photo! It has every pore, blemish, etc.
Con: The photo has lighting that you have to overcome plus you have to finesse it to line up with your model.

Using hand painted textures:
Pro: You're in complete control - you can compensate for stretching and other things
Con: It's not a photo! Essentially, the level of "con" is dependent on your skills as a painter

I've seen great work using both methods, so there's no right answer. Personally, I lean towards the latter but I think I want to play a bit with the former.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.