PDA

View Full Version : modular mesh

KaizerKaizer
01-03-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm working on a project in unity3d where I need to have the different bodyparts split into different meshes (thus replaceable with other meshes) so we can change them. An example is to change the torso of a thinn man with a fat mans. Here comes the problem; having the bodyparts split creates a thinn, thinn opening between the meshes when I bind them to the rig.

How can i avoid getting these openings when it gets binded to the rig? I've done tedious work weightening it yet no success. Can i snap the vertex points from the two different bodyparts somehow with some sort of constraint so they behave like one object even though they aren't?

Any other recommendations on how to strategically aproach modular modelling is very appriciative.

jakeh14
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll be honest, I have no experience modeling in this way. I also have not worked with your 3d program. That said...

Couldn't you just make sure that the edge points are weighted 100% to the same bone? For example, if your shoulder and upper arm are separated. Couldn't you take the verts on the shoulder which overlap/occupy the same space as the upper arm verts and make sure they are both weighted 100% to the clavicle?

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.