PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to buy AE on ebay?

PhoenixCG
01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
i've seen it on ebay receintly for $450-$500 new for Windows. is it possible to get a legit version this cheap? thanks a lot!

Mylenium
01-03-2010, 09:33 AM
is it possible to get a legit version this cheap?

If you are are a student - yes, of course. But then you don't need eBay to do it. Everything else - well, we all know the story.

Mylenium

PhoenixCG
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
what story?

biliousfrog
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I made the mistake of trying to save a few 's by buying on ebay and ended up with a pre-registered student version, after sending it back for a refund the seller claimed that I had kept the proper version and sent him a dodgy copy...it was a nightmare I'd rather try to put behind me...luckily the seller let slip that he was selling the software 'on the side' as he was too ill to work, he soon refunded me after I mentioned the inland revenue, benefits office and the BSA.

...in short, it's probably not worth it.

Mylenium
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
what story?

Well, the MSRP for AE CS4 is 999 bucks, is it not? So how likely do you think you can buy a full version for half the price? There may be deals that cover a previous leftover OEM version and give you an upgrade for CS4 on top of it and you may cut that as low as 700 bucks perhaps, but to spell it out for you: Everything else is probably a scam or at least a version you are possibly not entitled to. You would find that out either when it doesn't activate at all or, if it activates, when you plan on buying an upgrade to CS5 and run into a serial number issue. So honestly, you could get yourself in a ton of problems without knowing it. It's simply not worth it, given that on Adobe's site there are long lists of legit resellers that may be able to cut you a good deal without the headache....

Mylenium

chemkid
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
yes, do yourself a favor and don't buy adobe-products on ebay! i bought photoshop myself... some years ago. i felt pretty stupid after a cheerful chat with adobe "...if it's now possilbe to upgrade to cs..." save yourself some trouble and find a legit reseller.

robert

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.