PDA

View Full Version : Creating complex holes+extrusions in a Flat surface...

HPuppy
01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi,

This question has been bugging me for a while. Can anyone tell me ways to go about cutting complex shapes (like cylinder etc) into a flat surface?

also a good way to have the topology for them?
As it is I can cut a hole but it destroys the smoothing...

Thanks,

Psyk0
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
this could help, scroll down to "circular on grid":
http://www.per128.com/pages_tutorials/

HPuppy
01-03-2010, 12:16 AM
thanks although I found this: http://www.enjoycg.com/forums/enjoycg-tutorials/4003-creating-holes-part-1-without-booleans.html Which works great ;)

KevBoy
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
This is always difficult using polygons, you have to extremely careful. It is wise to anchor your vertices so they don't "float" on your polygons.

BigDaddy
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
I have tryed the tutorial (posted by HPuppy) with Cinema 4D instead of Max and i am i bit confused. In the tutorial the area, where the zylinder connects with the plane, is round but in cinema it is rather square. (see no. 1 on the picture)

I need to move the outer points to geht it round. (see no. 2 on the picture)

From where the difference comes????

musashidan
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
it's simply because the base verts where the cylinder intersects the plane are more rounded in the 2nd pic so the resulted sub-d surface is more rounded.

BigDaddy
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
In cinema, yes. But in Max the No.1 is round.

musashidan
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
In cinema, yes. But in Max the No.1 is round.

No,in any sub-d modeler.I use Max.

vancliff
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
You dont need to make extrusions to make holes in flat surfaces in max. You just draw circles inside square splines and face extrude them. After that you just select the border of the holes and extrude them up or down.

musashidan
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
You dont need to make extrusions to make holes in flat surfaces in max. You just draw circles inside square splines and face extrude them. After that you just select the border of the holes and extrude them up or down.

We're talking sub-D modeling here.Put a turbosmooth on that mesh and see what happens. :p

vancliff
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
A clever use of extra edges used before putting the turbosmooth modifier will do the trick i guess.

musashidan
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
A clever use of extra edges used before putting the turbosmooth modifier will do the trick i guess.

That would be a very inefficient method if you intend to subdivide. It'd be much quicker to start from a plane >edge model the shape and cut the circles in using eight sided circle spline templates and vertex snapping.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.