PDA

View Full Version : constant random reboots

ambient-whisper
08-25-2003, 12:46 AM
hey guys. having a little problem here..

yesterday my computer started to reboot constantly out of nowhere.
i checked event manager and i found out that my 60 gig hard drive had bad blocks,
and that the pagefile itself had been corrupted as well.

i made sure to check for the blaster virus but the pc would reboot every time i would try it.
patching up didnt do much.

i thought that a format would help but when reinstalling windows onto the machine it wouldnt install.

so i got another hard drive ( 10 gigs ) and windows installed without any problems. ( meanwhile i took out the 60 gigger )
at first everything went fine until i got another sudden reboot.

so i patched up this windows too, and ran the msblast fix tool from symantec.

no virus found.

i dont think its the power supply because its about 2 months old, ( enermax 465W.)
Nvidia videocards always give bluescreens if they crash, so its easy to figure when theyre at fault.
and i get no bluescreens. so i dont think its the videocard to blame.

i made sure to check off bios shadowing, and the like. and while at it, checked the processor temp.
the p4 2400@800 is running at 45 degrees.

( is there an app to check processor temp that might be more accurate than bios? )
( or atleast show me the temp while im working to see how high it gets. )

anyway. i checked the event manager and heres 2 error entries i found.

The DNS Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf87dfb2, 0xbad4ce50, 0x00000000).
A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082503-02.dmp..

ive had this machine for about 2 months without a single problem too..:/

whatever you guys feel might help. dont hesitate to post.

elvis
08-25-2003, 01:38 AM
download this little fella:
http://www.memtest86.com/

and run it. it will run through continuously testing all of your RAM. let it run for a good hour or so and see if it spits out any errors.

Dave Black
08-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Sounds alot like bad RAM. Data corruption on your HDDs, constant unexpected, and unexplained crashes IMO tend to point to a bad ram chip. I've lost a system to this in the past. It was awful.

Run mem-test and see how many errors(if any) there are.

Best of luck, Ambient, I hope you did'nt lose all your data like last time.

-3DZ

:D

GregHess
08-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Ambient...did you check for ALL the worms? Or just blaster.

The blaster hunter-killer (nichel or what not) acts the same way blaster does.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I also triple concur with the memtest recommendation.

ambient-whisper
08-25-2003, 03:06 AM
thanks a ton guys. ill tell you if i get anymore of these reboots, but after checking my memory ( both chips separately ), i noticed one had a crapload of errors... and one was clean.

i tried booting windows with both on their own and one loaded in no problem ( the chip im on now ) and the other wouldnt. ( showed some win32.sys error or something.

so lets hope the problem went away.

im guessing it was the constant power surges weve had over the last few weeks that couldve caused this.

but yeah. i didnt lose much this time round as ive had pretty much everything backed up. :)

GregHess
08-25-2003, 11:40 AM
tried booting windows with both on their own and one loaded in no problem ( the chip im on now ) and the other wouldnt. ( showed some win32.sys error or something.

I hope this means your only running on the good dimm now :).

Unfortunantly dimms can go bad as their incredibly sensitive to variances in voltage. There was a rash of dimm failures awhile back because one motherboard manufacturer decided to overvolt the DDR voltage by .1 volts.

Just .1 volts.

im guessing it was the constant power surges weve had over the last few weeks that couldve caused this.

Sounds like your next purchase should be a UPS (uninterruptable power supply). These both stabilize the incoming voltage, and help protect against data loss in brown/black out situations.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.