PDA

View Full Version : Best Graphics card for AE CS4?? Quadro 5600 / ati 5970??

WChestnutt
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello.

Im working on a 64bit quad core machine currently running a gtx280 card and wanting to upgrade to the fastest card for after effects in terms of realtime previews etc. Ive spent countless hours tryign to uncover what would be best but havnt managed to reach much of a conclusion so...

I have been tempted by either the quadro fx5600 seeing as i do dabble in 3d design too, but this year it will be mainly AE. Alternative is the ATI 5970 card which seems stonking for a consumer level card.

from experience what will ultimately provide the best specs for After effects? i know the quadro CX is meant to be good much unfortunately too pricey, where i have a very good deal on a quadro fx5600 (500)

Any information would be VERY much appreciated!

Many thanks, Will

WChestnutt
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess i am just askign how i can possibly maximise performance without a cpu upgrade. Already running 12GB ddr3 and a fast disc etc.

Kind regards, Will

Iaenic
12-31-2009, 05:53 PM
The most resounding answer I hear for this question is that a pricey graphics card upgrade for After Effects is completely unneccessary. The 280 you have already is a good card, and I doubt you will see massive performance increases with card upgrades in After Effects. (Depends on if you use 3D software as well. Then a new card might be more helpfull).

After effects likes Ram (Lots) and the CPU is a good thing to upgrade now and then too. I have a 3.2 ghz core i7 chip with 12 gigs of ram, and it blazes pretty well. Wish I had 24 gigs of ram, but those sets are still so expensive...

ToddKopriva
01-01-2010, 06:15 AM
laenic speaks truth.

If you're just concerned about After Effects, spend your budget on RAM (http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.html), not a spiffy graphics card.

WChestnutt
01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys!! Ram it is :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.