PDA

View Full Version : exploding poly's with blast code

arvindsond
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi all, I am new to the forum and to blast code (and loving the plugin), I have gone through a lot of tutorials; the ones on blastcode, salek's ones and a couple of youtube; but nowhere shows me how to create a simulaiton using poly's or converting the nurbs one to poly's.

My problem is that I have modelled a spitfire and filmed some live action footage of an open field, and I want the spitfire to crash into the field, so I wante to use blast code for the breakup of the plane and ground.

What would be the best of doing this as my model is quads?

I also want to use the iverburn plugin to add fire and smoke onto the plane and also where it hits into the ground?

If anyone has any ideas on this that would be appreciated.

Thx

Arvind Sond

TheRispo
12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
It's been a long time since I last used blastcode.. so I might be wrong.

As far as I remember to destroy poly objects you should first shatter the poly and then use all the pieces as glued objects on top of a nurbs surface.. you don't get all the nice shattering options you get with nurbs surfaces.

I remember that I used to export the model back to 3dSMax and then shatter the model using mir vadim's rayfire plugin... then import the pieces back to maya and made the sim using blastcode...

arvindsond
12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Thx for the reply TheRispo, that sounds like a plan. I really like rayfire in max, I just don't know why there isn't a version for maya, shame really.
By the way can you think of any other software or techniques to use to achieve what I amtrying to do.
At the moment I'm using blast code for the destruction and overburn for the fire and smoke side of things and then comp in nuke.
If I was using max it would have been rayfire and afterburn

Thx

Arvind!

TheRispo
12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi.. yeah.. it's a shame that we don't have a tool as complete as Rayfire.. but the pulldownit (http://www.pulldownit.com) plugin for maya looks promising for handling such a task.. maybe you should give it a try.

Also I'll use maya fluids for the smoke and dust.. in combination with the overburn techinique could yield some awesome results.

arvindsond
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi TheRispo thx for the reply again, yeah your method is pretty much what I was thinking aswell, just wanted to make sure I was going about it the right way really!

The pulldownit plugin looks ace, hopefully it'll do what I need! :-)
Although I would need to use the pro version I think??

I know houdini can do great effects, but learning that is toooo long!

Do u know of any other 3rd party stand alone software (like realflow) that can do dynamics and particle effects?.....I think i'm clutching at straws here ;-)

Thx again

Arvind!

Calibrix
12-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Hey, if you still looking for a way to shatter you geometry you could try out this script. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=437677&page=11&pp=15&highlight=shatter

arvindsond
12-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Thx for the reply, but I've already tried that script and it's cuts are too straight and not random enough like rayfire.
I don't mind using third party software but there isn't anything out there apart from houdini which is a real mission to learn.
I see you've found my other post aswell, so I will continue the discussion there, it would be interesting to solve this problem, do u mind if I post my results and then you can try and advise me further if possible?

Thx

Arvind!

mir-vadim
01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I really like rayfire in max, I just don't know why there isn't a version for maya, shame really.
Thx and sorry :)
Few years ago I thought pretty the same about BlastCode but for Max.

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.