PDA

View Full Version : sketch_Ciprian

q12
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
sketch-Ciprian 29.12.2009
Its my sketch. I see some improper anatomical things that I will retouch , but in general i think, is from a scale 1-10, at a 8 at some degree. What do you think?
This one, I made it with a wacom cintique, with a model in front of me.
And this is MY Sketch:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h208/q1212/cintiq-wacom/cipCiripcopy.jpg

And beside my sketch , ... I wish for a long time to get into digital painting , but i don't understand the technology behind making such quality. Maybe some good fellow can point me to the right way? ...please,I need help.
- What I need to make those fine transitions?
- This models are made in 3d, then in PS?
- Or what? And How can I use a 3d mesh, to paint over it ?
(This is way over my head,and I don't figure out.)

here are some REFERENCES for the quality I search(and don't figure out)
Reference 1.http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g84/189384/189384_1230449061_medium.jpg
Reference 2.http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g78/343278/343278_1221572047_submedium.jpg

q12
12-30-2009, 05:20 PM
so...,anybody?

q12
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
people, c'mon, share some wisdom to me.....please!

Renus3000
01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm a beginner myself, but in regards to picture look like your references, the difference is that yours is actually a SKETCH while the 2 refs are finished and rendered smoothly.

Try blending the values together so it doesn't look like an actual sketch.

Also, his chin is quite small and doesn't protrude outward (underbite), and the whole right side of the face with his ear looks a little too far making his face look wide. But then again, if you used a live model, and his features are structured that way, then it looks fine.

P.S: i'm pretty sure those ref. pics where most likely done in Photoshop. No 3D program involvement.

q12
01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
thanks Renus3000.
I will refine the sketch...in time. The model is all right, my sketch is not. :)
I was standing too long not exercise my hand, and I have a 'lazy' hand now. I will exercise more to be reinvigorated....but,in time.
-But I need to know how to make something smooth and clear, like those references.
The actual technique i am interest in finding.
I suppose myself that there are not involved 3d meshes, but who know?
I really want to know how to make something like that.

mmm...

Renus3000
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Blending at different opacities to make the area smooth works for me. Hope that helps.

ajinak
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
As Renus3000 said, it's all about blending.. and a lot of patience while trying to achieve satisfying smoothness :) I'm not so experienced, but some years ago I was asking myself the same question.. all my pictures were too sketchy or too smooth, because I tended to use a 'blending tool' which I considered the best for this - and it looked like an airbrush in result.

So I would advise you to start discovering blending by hand with lower opacity of your brush (I guess 30-50% will be fine). I also have my left hands fingers on shortcuts for brush and for dropper almost all the time. Dropper helps a lot, because you have to change color tones during work quite often.

I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing, English isn't my native language.. but hopefully it's understandable :) good luck, your sketch looks great even so far!

ajinak
01-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Something else - what I wrote was just a suggestion. The best you can do is simply to experiment with tools and so on and find the style that fits you. It would be boring if there were some universal manuals used by all people.. and even the smoothness isn't always the best method.. at least I think so :)

q12
01-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I think I catch the idea!
All stand in the OPACITY of the BRUSH.
The main color , I put it with an (normal) brush opacity of 100%
For those transitions I use the same (normal) brush BUT at opacity of 30%(as suggested)
Rarely I observe that I use at 10%(at some very smooth zones).

Thank you for support , because without it, I think I will be even now in the dark. Other ideas are welcome.

In some strange way, I was able to USE the blending Method prescribed by ajinak.
"blending by hand with lower opacity of the brush"..as you say, is working perfect !
Many thanks!!!
At what are you referring when you say "experiment with tools"?

Great Ideas people!
Behold ! My First Semi>Realistic painting using PS ! yee.
Here is my Portrait (I use a Photo Reference)
Duration= almost 4 Hours-for painting. (2 for drawing)!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h208/q1212/cintiq-wacom/sketchcopy.jpg

q12
01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
here is my Continued model !!!
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h208/q1212/cintiq-wacom/cipCiripcopy-1.jpg

q12
01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Now i am in business ! :P
What do you think?
the technique is OK?
What to improve at this technique?
Suggestions?
Thanks....

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.