PDA

View Full Version : Character: creature

pencil-head
08-24-2003, 08:41 AM
http://www.geocities.com/pencil_head_portfolio/screen.txt

i plan on doing a 360 turnaround of this character to put on my reel. i want a cool and interesting pose. Is this pose to extreme?

using max 5

Max4d
08-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey Pencilhead

I must say that you moddeled a very nice character, i have no comments on that one.

The pose itself is actually very beautifull, cause it radiates emense emotion. I see much agony in it and i love it.

The only problem could be that in such a pose, you don't get to see all of the characters head and it looks a bit weird in a 360 degrees spin.

But i realy dig the stand, keep it that way.

Greetz Max4d

kotter
08-24-2003, 06:11 PM
thats a really great character.

I love the pose he's in, but I agree with max4D about the 360 spin.

Could you show a closeup of the head?

Doubt
08-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Nice character Pencil... how about some closer renders, maybe a little less dramatic lighting, just so we can see the definition a bit more. A close up of the head would be sweet also.

Thanks,

--doubt

chi
08-24-2003, 09:22 PM
this is an excellent model...great pose and lighting....my advice to you is to post it in the wip section or even the finished so you can get a sh!t load of ooo's and ah's cause thats what this piece need's

Son of Octropos
08-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I'll add to the others and say well modelled there.

The poses are strong, but the anatomy to me isn't deforming quite as it should. We should be seeing the bottom line of the ribcage alot more on the left hand side in that pose, along with the corresponding fold on the right-hand side (maybe not fold so much, but there should be a stronger direction change from lower ribs through the obliques to the hips). The abdominals don't look like they're elongating enough.

It looks like he's hanging/leaning on something, the center of balance he has now would have him toppling over backwards without support.

If he is hanging on to something, the hands are good, otherwise try to curl the fingers out from the palms at the base more (try to bunch up your whole arms really tight, you hands will tend to pull back like that). If they're out in space and not holding onto anything, they look a bit relaxed for the rest of the pose.

Remember that most people are stronger in the back than the front, so there is a tendency under extreme tension to arch the back and pull the limbs back and bunch them up (most people have stronger Biceps than Triceps, for instance).

This, as it is now, is a very good model a good pose. I think with some more tweaking you can take it from good to stunning. You've got a great base to work from here.

pencil-head
08-24-2003, 10:45 PM
http://www.geocities.com/pencil_head_portfolio/head.txt

Max4d, kotter, Doubt, chi: thanks for your comments guys. here is the closeup. if there isn't anything massivly wrong with the pose, i mite just do a camera pass over the head.
Son of Octropos: thanks for your input. you ask for alot:D . as for the leaning/hanging thing, i guess he's in a mid fall. to be honest i randomly moved body parts around till i came up with this.

Krisc
08-25-2003, 04:47 AM
What if you did some kind of weird 360 spin that changed its angle and focus...like start in front of him then go kind of up toward his head, get a nice shot there, then go around him and then come up near his left hand and then back to the first position...?

Could that work?

matty2x4
08-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Just a small note:
I think for such an extream pose and with the face he is pulling, I think his hands look too relaxed/floppy. The pose is pretty cool (I think), but if I was in that pose myself it would have been an extreme stuation to have gotten me into that pose and I dont think his hands are portraying the strees and emotions of his body and face.
Hope that helps
Matty2x4

ejackson1138
08-27-2003, 06:05 PM
The pose is interesting but unbalanced. You can retain the dynamic quality of the extreme bend but create a more stable, "satisfying" looking pose if you moved the feet more under the character's center of gravity. Right now it looks like it is falling over becauseif it was a real sculpture, it would.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.