PDA

View Full Version : Wax 2.0 - Rate it?

MisterS
12-25-2009, 09:08 AM
I've recently started using Wax at work and I've been impressed so far. I originally downloaded Jahashaka but it was crap/unstable.

Before I get too into Wax, I'm wondering if there are any better free compositing packages out there?

I found Wax is very intuitive and you can find your way around easily.

All this is for is to composite rendered frames and add a few cuts, image overlays etc. Basically to allow us to present flythroughs in a more professional manner.

On the downside - I'm am getting a problem that keeps arising after closing and reopenong my composite - Sometimes my animation fades out earlier than it's meant to. Solution - delete the fades and redo them, but it's annoying.

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong?

Overall - thumbs up from me, not as good as Combustion but my work are not likely to be paying for something like that at the moment and Wax ticks the right boxes.

beaker
12-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Never even heard of it before now. Looks like a very lite version of AE. I don't have a windows box in my currently location to try it but from watching the flash videos it looks so so. I guess it depends what kind of work your doing. Since this is more layer based it looks like it it would be better at motion graphics work then compositing. You might want to look at Blender's node based compositor. It seems more powerful then this tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG7VfXHyFzE

BTW, you should include the link so people know what your talking about.
http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

MisterS
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Cool, I'll have a look but maybe Blender looks a tad more complex than I think is required for the type of stuff we do.

Wax has the same layer blending modes as Combustion so think it will do the job. Hopefully when I get into work tommorow I should have a load of frames for an animation to composite, I rendered the separate elements and just assumed/hope that Wax'll let me do it! Otherwise it's a looong render wasted!

Also it's a bit of an issue at work that no one else can use the various software so I think something like Wax will be a bit more user friendly so others can get involved.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.