PDA

View Full Version : Question About Programming

Maxima3d
08-24-2003, 04:24 AM
Hey All..!
I Want To Start How To Learn Game Development
So...
I Want To Start With Programming
I Want To Know What Is The Best Language Which Was The Best In This Field..?:wavey:

Gooberius
08-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Asking which is the "best" language is as provocative a question as asking "is D3D better than OpenGL?" ;)

It's mostly down to personal choice, but the most prevalent language in the games industry currently is C++, basically because you get low level access where you need it (i.e. unsafe operations like casting, pointers, etc), but you also get solid higher level constructs, including object orientation.

At some point you might also want to learn assembly language for the platform you're interested in, but it's not essential these days (although it is fun, in a sick sort of way :))

Having said all that, if you're only programming for fun, or you have problems with C++ (its syntax can be confusing to new programmers) then you could try Dark Basic. I've never used it, but I've seen some good things written about it. Check http://www.darkbasic.com for more info on that.

aurora
08-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Well I would first take alook at a few of the other threads here they pretty much answer your question, such as
Industry Standard Coding Languages (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83577)
Then I would check out a few of the game programming websites. Check a few of the other threads they list great ones. Then I would go buy or for me I love the library, and get a couple of books. This thread lists the must have list.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80097
One thing you need to decide on is OpenGL or DirectX. I will NOT get in a discussion on that one I am very biased and refuse to start a flame war over this hot topic. Just choose which is more suited for you to start with and theres plenty of info on either one. I might add that sooner or later if you stay in the graphics oriented programming arena long enough you'll end up playing with both of them sooner or later anyways.
Lastly when you do get started and when you do get stuck do searches on websties for answers first and then when you still can't figure it do not feel shy about asking for help. I can almost guarantee many others ran into that same problem and is more then willing to help you out.
Good luck!

Maxima3d
08-26-2003, 03:23 AM
and i would take by ur advice:drool:

Derlaine
08-28-2003, 08:04 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

Maxima3d
08-28-2003, 02:00 PM
but i want to know what if the most helpful language in programming and also in writing viruses

aurora
08-28-2003, 03:54 PM
I found the best code for writting viruses to be AGTC!:wavey:

Derlaine, is right though, although I could argue about the Java/gui part unless you are coming from an MFC background in which case hes so right its not even funny. My 2 cents worth would be to go for c\c++. Why it over other languages which could work just as well? Documentation! Theres so much info on c\c++ programming available thats its mind boggeling. When you start looking at websites/books devoted to game programming the vast majority of them are all c\c++. Word of note though, do not waste time with visual c (VC) books that concentrate on MFC you really do not want to use that crap in your games. Without MFC though you need to learn to write your own gui, which is where Java makes life alot easier. However I use Qt in my c++ app's and love it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.