PDA

View Full Version : Maya TIPS! modeling

dRE86
12-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I was using 3dmax but now im on maya, and now i cant find a few options

1- in polygon modeling, can i move my vertex based on my edges without having to select the edge that I want to use, like 3d max ????

2- how can rotate my view in the viewport, based on the selected object ?

3- how can i change my pivot point when im selecting two objects, for the pivot be in between or to have one for each,, I mean, temporaly for scale for example,, like 3d max,, not actually pressing insert and moving it, so i can scale two faces for example and they will scale with two pivot points, one for each.

3- can i select a lot of objects and make all positions of the pivot points to a same place ?

4- sometimes i select some objects but when i move them they dont follow the same direction, how can i fix it ?

5- can i align a lot of vertex for X, Y or Z for exemple ??

Sammy
12-26-2009, 03:41 AM
Tricky bugger! You have 6 questions, not 5! hehe. Maybe I can help a bit.

1 ... in polygon modeling, can i move my vertex based on my edges without having to select the edge that I want to use, like 3d max ????

Do you mean you want to snap the vertex along an edge ? Yeah, you can do this. With the vertex selected press 'w' for translate, press and hold 'c' and then middle-mouse drag along the edge. The limitation is that once the vert hits another vert along that edge it stops (and doesn't merge, so be careful about stacking verts without merging/welding afterwards)

2 ...how can rotate my view in the viewport, based on the selected object ?

Select the object or any sub-object like a group of vertices and press 'f' to focus the viewport's focus to that selection. Then alt-left-mouse rotate ...

3 ...how can i change my pivot point when im selecting two objects, for the pivot be in between or to have one for each,, I mean, temporaly for scale for example,, like 3d max,, not actually pressing insert and moving it, so i can scale two faces for example and they will scale with two pivot points, one for each.

So you know how to permanently move a pivot point in maya by pressing the 'insert' key or the pro-uber-mega-ultra-cool shortcut of holding down the 'd' key and then middle-mouse clicking 'x' for a grid point, 'v' to snap the pivot to a vertex or 'c' for an edge/curve right ? Sorry, that was a terribly written sentance, but it makes sense if you read it slowly.

For a TEMPORARY pivot change just make sure you enter component mode F9 for vertex, F10 for edges, F11 for faces ... select the subcomponents you want to transform ... press the insert key. Once you're out of component mode the object pivot returns back to it's original setting. Yay. But notice that the transform gizmo in component mode has a peg with a yellow circle sticking out of it, that toggles the PIN feature - this saves the component pivot so you could, for example, rotate different selection around the same temporary pivot at different times ... handy to know.

Additionally you could also GROUP two object together, transform them using that groups pivot and once you're done UNGROUP them ... delete the now empty group in the hypergraph and your objects' pivots will remain unharmed ...

4 ...can i select a lot of objects and make all positions of the pivot points to a same place ?

GROUPS in Maya are your friend (in fact, groups seem to be involved in three of the six questions you have). Once a selection of objects are grouped a new pivot is created ... this approach is also the answer to your 5th question ... the object(s) in the group still retain their own pivots but the group will affect them all.

One step deeper (and yes, Maya can go very very very very very deep) Take a look at CLUSTERS ... essentially groups for components. They have seperate transforms.

5 ...sometimes i select some objects but when i move them they dont follow the same direction, how can i fix it ?

You are new to Maya so you may not understand object transforms yet.

In Max there's a stack of modifiers ... Maya uses a similar process where it stacks all your edits one on top of another. Move, translate and scale ... but also your vertex edits, and bevels or splits - practically EVERY single change you make to your model is saved.

After time this accumulates a 'history' which is good to have if you want to UNDO something, but it also creates problems when you want to start transforming the object in space.

You have two choices. Delete the history by going to Edit > Delete by Type > History or if for some reason you want to hang onto your history GROUP the object Ctrl-G (even if it's a single object) and this will create a FRESH transform node to work with.

6 ...can i align a lot of vertex for X, Y or Z for exemple ??

To can constrain to a particular coordinate by left-clicking on it on the gizmo, it will turn yellow. This also works in component mode so you can snap verts along the X axis for example. Make sure to check to see under Modify > Transform Controls > Move Tool OPTIONS(box) ... down near the bottom that RETAIN COMPONENT SPACING is off if you want an uneven row of verts to snap into a straight line ...

Tip: You can also snap to other components ... in component mode F9, select a group of verts, enter MOVE/'w' mode, constrain to say 'X' or 'Y' axis by clicking on the gizmo, then using middle-mouse button click on the vert you want them to snap to along that axis. Works for 'c' curves and 'x' grid.

Lots to digest there ... good luck!

wat2k
12-26-2009, 09:21 AM
4- sometimes i select some objects but when i move them they dont follow the same direction, how can i fix it ?

I think it because u use move in object space , just switch to world space.

If u don't know how to switch , press f1 or buy a book. There 're a lot info u need to learn from a book.

sorry for my English.

dRE86
12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks !

Sammy, i have a few questions..

1 ... in polygon modeling, can i move my vertex based on my edges without having to select the edge that I want to use, like 3d max ????

Do you mean you want to snap the vertex along an edge ? Yeah, you can do this. With the vertex selected press 'w' for translate, press and hold 'c' and then middle-mouse drag along the edge. The limitation is that once the vert hits another vert along that edge it stops (and doesn't merge, so be careful about stacking verts without merging/welding afterwards)

yes, but that "snap curve" is not working, it didnt work like you said,, i dont know why

6 - I think I wasnt clear, I know that i can constrain. What i need for example, imagine im modeling half of a car, and them i've select all me side vertexes (from the middle of the car) and align them to x, so i can duplicate the other half of my car and could be able to match all my side vertexes even, so that both halfs will be aligned for a quick merge. The align that im talking about will move automaticly the vertexes that i have selected to all have the same translate, in x or y or z

WAT2k
Thats it ! it works, thanks !!!

Sammy
12-26-2009, 07:08 PM
6 - I think I wasnt clear, I know that i can constrain. What i need for example, imagine im modeling half of a car, and them i've select all me side vertexes (from the middle of the car) and align them to x, so i can duplicate the other half of my car and could be able to match all my side vertexes even, so that both halfs will be aligned for a quick merge. The align that im talking about will move automaticly the vertexes that i have selected to all have the same translate, in x or y or z

WAT2k
Thats it ! it works, thanks !!!

ah, yeah that's easy. First prepare the one half of your model. Position it so that the border vertices you're eventually going to snap are pretty close to a grid line - the center grid line is best to start with.

Okay, before you select all your border vertices you are going to need to verify that a feature is turned off for the translate gizmo. Go to MODIFY > TRANSFORM TOOLS > Move Tool OPTIONS(box) and make sure KEEP SPACING is turned off.

When you eventually 'snap' your vertices this will make sure any small spacing differences along the X axis to which you are snapping are reset. You want a perfectly straight center seam.

Now select your border vertices. Go to your TOP viewport ... press 'w' to enable the move transform. Contrain along the 'x' axis by clicking the RED/X part of the move gizmo. Hold down 'x' because you are going to snap to GRID. Now hold down the middle-mouse button and drag toward the grid line you want to snap to.

tip: If nothing happens at first you may need to zoom your view out a bit and drag towards a different grid line and BACK to the one you want because your grid lines are too far apart to snap in smaller increments.

Last thing you need to do is make sure the objects PIVOT is also snapped to that same grid point or any vertice along that border edge. The object's pivot will effect any mirroring you decide to do.

Now you can decide if you want to create an INSTANCE which updates while you still model your car or create a MIRROR if you want a unified mesh object.

lemme know if that works out for you. happy to give you any help.

dRE86
12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
it works ! Thanks

3D max its way more simple, you dont need to align with the grid, you just press a buttom under the edit mesh options, it will align independed from the grid,, but anyway,

another question came up,
i did under animation, the motion path tool, to create multiple posts in a highway.

first, ive attached a locator to the motion path and parented to my post group, but i cant do a snapshot to create the rest of my posts. i have an error message:

Error: No motion trails or snapshots on selected objects

whats going on ???

and,

in my post group, i have a group for lights, in this light group I've created under extra attributes an intensity for the light, to be able to make copys of light an tweak it later.

but if i make a lot of copys of my post group i will need to go into every single post light group attributes to change the value,,, how can i duplicate my group of posts and be able to tweak all of the lights at same time ??
i didnt like this ideia of having to create an extra attibute for each value,, thats terrible, in 3dmax you just make an instance copy and change the first one.

dRE86
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
- 1 ... in polygon modeling, can i move my vertex based on my edges without having to select the edge that I want to use, like 3d max ????

- Do you mean you want to snap the vertex along an edge ? Yeah, you can do this. With the vertex selected press 'w' for translate, press and hold 'c' and then middle-mouse drag along the edge. The limitation is that once the vert hits another vert along that edge it stops (and doesn't merge, so be careful about stacking verts without merging/welding afterwards)

- yes, but that "snap curve" is not working, it didnt work like you said,, i dont know why

it is working for one vertex, but when i get multiples vertexes it dosent, how can i select multiple vertexes and move them snaped to a edge ?

Sammy
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
in 3dmax you just make an instance copy and change the first one.

uhm. I think you're getting a little lazy Dre :-) you can create INSTANCES in Maya and that's exactly how you'd solve your lamppost lighting problem.

EDIT > DUPLICATE SPECIAL OPTIONS(box) ... Instance ... yay.

first, ive attached a locator to the motion path and parented to my post group, but i cant do a snapshot to create the rest of my posts. i have an error message: Error: No motion trails or snapshots on selected objects

You've set it up wrong. It's a pretty easy tool to use so it's probably something in your hierarchy. You said that you set it up so that the LOCATOR follows the path ? Open your hypergraph ... I've attached an image of what it should look like.

it is working for one vertex, but when i get multiples vertexes it dosent, how can i select multiple vertexes and move them snaped to a edge ?

Easy. If you don't want all the multiple vertexes to KEEP THEIR SPACING when you snap along an edge, make sure under move tool options you have KEEP SPACING checked ON.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.