PDA

View Full Version : hand rig tutorials?? focus on thumb

tymznd
08-23-2003, 07:43 PM
I am having issues with the thumb on my rig... it seems like positioning of the base joint and rotation orders are pretty critical. I have been toying around with these but am having trouble getting realistic poses. The rotation order keeps getting out of wack. Any links, examples, or thoughts would be appreciated.

dmcgrath
08-23-2003, 08:34 PM
I think

http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/maya/index.htm

or Gnomonon had something that I have been doing for getting the rotation orders straight.

Esentially what you need to do is this:
A) select the thumb
B) Go t ocomponent mode and turn on the ? at the end of the components shelf
C) Click on the rotationl axis of the thumb joint, now you can rotate it freely to where you might need it to be.
D)Pay attention to your own thumb and try to align them all down one axis. Like X for example.
E)Then you can rotate in the Z axis and make them all curl inward.
F)One important thing to observe is that the last two bones on your thumb really only rotate on one plane. Whereas that first bone coming from your wrist has a lot of freedom.

tymznd
08-24-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the reply... I think I might have worked it out today:
1 - yzx ended up working for the base of the thumb.
2- also I changed the bind pose for the thumb to be pointing at a 45 degree angle from the wrist, instead of 90 degrees out.

kiaran
05-30-2004, 10:14 PM
I have a button on my rigging shelf to Display Local Rotation Axis. It's invaluable if you are going to be setting driven keys directly on the joint rotations.

M.E.L.
06-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by rhythmone
I am having issues with the thumb on my rig... it seems like positioning of the base joint and rotation orders are pretty critical. I have been toying around with these but am having trouble getting realistic poses. The rotation order keeps getting out of wack. Any links, examples, or thoughts would be appreciated.

make sure that all your rotation axi's are pointing down the same direction (I prefer to use Z pointing towards each joint down the chain and a Y-up axis). Preferably I like to use Jason Schleifer's orientJoint script, I added a few little things I like to have in my menu to it and I swear by the tool.

http://jonhandhisdog.com/myIBPortal/

check out his site and head on over to his download section. The script will save you a ton of headaches and assures that you're joints are all oriented properly (remember to unbind the skin or you're gonna have some 'interesting' effects). :thumbsup:

Any issues with that, just post back! :buttrock:

-shawn

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.