PDA

View Full Version : What format should I use for my demo reel?

SpAiK
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Hello, I'm currently preparing my demo reel and just realised that I don't know what is the best format I should render my projects (especially animations). I'm doing tests in PAL 16:9 but I don't know if I should render at square pixels and then reformat in post, use 4:3, widescreen or what...

beaker
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
What is your end destination for the file? Dvd(which country)? Web? Presentation? on your Laptop?

SpAiK
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
At first I'm going to burn it to DVD, in PAL. Maybe at the future I could post it also on the web in HD.

beaker
12-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I always work in square pixels in my editor and output a lossless compressed or high quality lossy like prores movie at the end of that pipe. That way I have a my HD version essentially done and I can mess with different quality settings without having to constantly render new versions out of my editor which is much slower. I only resize to the exact rectangular pixels for dvd resolution in my compression to mpeg2 application. Also you get better quality mpeg/h264 when you let the compression app downrez.

SpAiK
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm still in a mess. I'm not thinkning in rendering in HD res because it takes a lot of time and my computer is a bit old. My biggest concern is if I should do it in widescreen or not, because if I render in 4:3 then it would stretch in a LCD.

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.