PDA

View Full Version : A bit different?

CheekyBeagle
12-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Hello all, hope that you've been good this year, and Santa looks after you.

http://cheekybeaglestudios.com/showreel.html

Thought I'd post something a bit different. This was a concept for a car ad that I came up with a little while ago. A hall of mirrors, where the car has this sort of love affair looking at itself. Anyway, there was lots of stuff that I wanted to get out of this, setting up no GI solutions, multi-pass composting for animation, VFX and SFX, lots of stuff, so it was a good learning experience.

I did everything except for building the car model. So I can only blame myself if something is wrong.

Although I'd love to refine it more and more, I ran out of time, and this was the final product. Take some time, have a look, make comments, otherwise, thanks for all your support throughout the year, have a safe holiday season, and see you all next year.

Cheers,

Pete

CheekyBeagle
12-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Any comments?

mehdianim
12-23-2009, 01:40 AM
That's pretty cool.
The composition and lighting on the opening shot could use another pass. Reflections in the puddles look almost exactly like the real castle. The fog seems only to exist over the ground which looks weird.
at 0:25 the car going up the ramp has a sudden jerk forward which makes it look animated. I'd recommend looking at more videos of cars going over speed bumps or up ramps...
When you fade in and out the car's animation starts and stops which is also off putting...
On the closeup of the rims spinning your frame rate looks low. Usually the appeal of cars is their sleekness so making sure everything is smooth helps drive the point home in these cases.
In the front shot of the hood with the reflections sliding accross at 1:01 you have an obvious pop, I am guessing that is where your loop cycles.

It may seem like a lot of criticism but overall the project is not bad, seems like you have many loose ends to cleanup to get to the next level.

here's a conceptual comment though. You say the car is infatuated with it's reflections in the hall of mirrors yet you don't have any shots with the car riding side by side with it's reflections. Especially in a hall of mirrors where the reflections repeat infinitely you had an opportunity for some awesome shots. Rendering time would inflate quite a bit but if you have the time.
Or you could use a trick. Just fake the reflections by duplicating your car as much as you need, including the environment and have the lighting fade out in the further ones. You have options I'm sure.

Hope this is useful to you. Can't wait to see more stuff, going to checkout your website in the meantime.

cheers

CheekyBeagle
12-23-2009, 02:50 AM
mehdianim (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=34200), Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really do appreciate you making some very relevant and constructive criticism.

I completely agree with all your comments. May animation skills are quite basic, I'm an Arch Viz artist, so 90% is stills, and the 10% which is animation is simple camera moves, pan here, zoom there. So I really have to work on those things, and this was one of the first non-arch viz animations I've done.

On you point about the actual concept, i completely agree, and it seems like a glaring omission on my part not to show more of the car loving itself in the mirrors, I've learnt a lot from this project, including to do a lot more pre-production, I think I jumped the gun and was doing final renders before I had even fully developed the concept, or done storyboards.

Everything else you've said is correct, I can tell you've got a keen eye. I would love to revisit this, however I probably wont, simply cus I feel I spent enough time on it, and want to move on now. But who knows.

Again, thankyou mehdianim (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=34200) for taking the time to comment, it's why I post things on these forums to recieve comments, that will ultimately make me a better artist all round.

mehdianim
12-23-2009, 07:26 AM
No need to revisit this project, you've learned what you could from it and now is time to move on to the next one !!
Years from now you can look at it again and see how far you've come.

It'll be awesome !

CheekyBeagle
12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi mehdianim, yeah it's always nice to look back in retrospect. I started in Arch Viz about 3 years ago, and the work i produced in my first years looks quite poor now, and I have a long way to go still, it's something I really enjoy working in this industry, always more to learn, always!!

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.