PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? Saslite + Cel shading

Shade01
08-23-2003, 09:17 AM
I've been experimenting with trying to incorporate saslite to do some hair in a different style. What do you think, does it fit in with the cel shading?

http://www.ecreativityworks.com/stuff/sascompweb.jpg

Facial Deluxe
08-23-2003, 09:40 AM
That is something I've think for a long time, but yet never tried : using Sas for cel hair.
Seems it works ;)
perhaps hair need a little spec, they are very uniform right now...
I would also try with more grouped (combing ? clumping ?) hair, la DBZ, just to test....

Para
08-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Looks okay, although I'm more interested on what that looks like in motion.

leigh
08-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Looks good, Shade01 :) I definitely think the Saslite suits the celshading.

Mattoo
08-23-2003, 11:30 AM
I think it looks cool! One suggestion, maybe the hair is too detailed - how about increasing the coarseness and/or upping the matting and clump value to simplify it some...?

Fasty
08-23-2003, 11:36 AM
I think there's potential, but it looks a tad messy and 3D to my eyes at the moment.

Shade01
08-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I'd like to get the hair more even so it isn't so lumpy but this seems to be the best that saslite can do in this way. In order to get it that thick I've got the clumping, coarseness and density up pretty much as high as it can go, anything less makes it look to stringy. I'd also like to get rid of those annoying star shaped strands at the edges but I don't think that's going to happen unless someone knows a better way.

nostromo_va
08-24-2003, 03:24 PM
What settings did you use to "flatten" or cell-shade the hair with SASlite? I was under the impression that SASlite & cellshaders didn't play nice together.

I like the look - BTW.

Mechis
08-24-2003, 05:18 PM
It looks good, but the one thing that bothers me is the fuzziness at the top of the head. It looks weird to me to see hair going up like that. The rest of it looks great though!

Shade01
08-24-2003, 08:07 PM
@Nostromo, I just turned off all the glossiness and lowered the diffuse.

@Mechis, yeah those little star shaped strands of hair I can't get rid of, it's part of the coarseness setting, and anything less makes it look like more real which I don't want. Also, I have to keep the hair kind of flat black like that because any large amounts of specularity or gloss or color deviation looks too weird matched up with the cel shading.

Want to see it in motion? Download this quicktime clip, about 931k in size.

Quicktime clip (http://www.ecreativityworks.com/stuff/sastestsmall.mov)

Mechis
08-25-2003, 01:49 AM
Well, I looked at the turn around vid that you posted and it actually doesn't look too bad. The fuzzies kind of blended and they weren't as noticeable. Will you be getting closer to the character than that though? They may be more distracting on close up shots...

What you posted looks good though!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.