PDA

View Full Version : Next challenge discussion thread.

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Please use this thread to discuss our next challenge

NUKE.

-R

grantmoore3d
12-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Not a nuke, but a really cool explosion I saw on Digg today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJppJSKG9Y&

MartinRomero
12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I am definetely in on this one!

Martin

j83
12-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Lots of potential with this theme. :D

aminos
12-22-2009, 09:00 PM
It would be funny to redo the Indiana Jones 'nuke the fridge' shot, only with a dead body in the fridge.

Maybe a Star War nuke.... with stars blow off and black hole forming(?)

Maybe nuke in a very alien environment:
dark underground world (caves) with huge slimy bugs and nests
underwater city blow off (the rendering probably will kill computers)

feldy
12-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm in on this also. Any news on when this is going to start or how long it will be?

RobertoOrtiz
12-22-2009, 09:40 PM
It will be In January of 2010. And BTW we all need to talk about the future of the forum.
I think some changes are in order after all these years.

JonathanFreisler
12-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Couldn't agree more Roberto. In regards to changes I'm not sure I can offer too many suggestions. After being involved in in FX wars over the past few years I have noticed the large drop off of involved participants, as the project goes on. And topic is also really hard. There are so many choices, and there are so many cool ones. You have tried to do challenges where we are given the option of integrating into supplied plates or footage, and recently challenges where we get the option of using stuff from the HCM. Don't forget that FX generally gets less interest than say, the HCM. its just the way it goes.

Other than saying all of that, I'm not sure I have suggestions for change. It looks like one month isn't enough for people? But I would say, that 1 month would be enough for nuke for me. That being said I do have time off and people work ect. Perhaps have two weeks of recourse and thought gathering before the challenge starts?

I'm in for the Nuke Btw. Ive just gotta finish my current project.

And DAMN aminos for steeling my idea (indianna jones)! ha ha. Your not supposed to reveal stuff like that until your done :P

MartinRomero
12-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Hello Everyone, Great stuff going on there JonathanFreisler!

I agree with JonathanFreisler, a month for the Nuke could work just fine even with my crazy schedule at work.

Hey Jonathan that makes two of us!
"DAMN aminos for steeling my idea as well, (indianna jones)! ha ha. As soon as I saw nuke I thought about that one, ohh well, let's see what we can do about that" lol, that's definetely a great idea aminos.

I also agree that there seem to be very few people participating in the FX challenge, I know for sure we have a pretty big large number of fx artist going on on CGTALK, Maya dynamics has a lot of people going there, the fume and after burn threads also have a pretty big spread. The fx challenge should be packed with a lot of talent. I am not sure if it is because of the type of challenge or missing resources but even I find myself skipping certain challenges. Anyways, in all true this challenge has a good potential and I am in for the nuke challenge.

Regards,

Martin

Mirco83
12-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I think FX Contests should be focused more on FX purity. It seems paradossal but I've noticed that in the last contests there are too many tasks involved such as animation,direction,montage,lighting and more...
I think it should be more concentrated on the pure quality of effects...A banal example: I think that a single water drop that crashes on a plane or a broken glass offer a variety of difficulties to reproduce them perfectly :-)
My 2 cents :-)

Bye,
Mirco

JonathanFreisler
12-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Couldnt agree more with micro.

Its great of offer, complete projects (invasion, QOTRM) But you have to think of the attention span. A lot more people are going to go through with a 'smaller' single FX shot, than string together 2, or 5, or 10. Ive said it before, but fireworks, and cannon fire, and tornado are in theory single shot FX shots that get people excited and result in a lot of strong entry's.

nonamevfx
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uBU409Uxw

richardrosenman
12-28-2009, 02:02 AM
It would be funny to redo the Indiana Jones 'nuke the fridge' shot, only with a dead body in the fridge.

Wanted to refresh my memory... It's cool. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGuXXGgVq0

-Rich

RobertoOrtiz
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Couldnt agree more with micro.

Its great of offer, complete projects (invasion, QOTRM) But you have to think of the attention span. A lot more people are going to go through with a 'smaller' single FX shot, than string together 2, or 5, or 10. Ive said it before, but fireworks, and cannon fire, and tornado are in theory single shot FX shots that get people excited and result in a lot of strong entry's.
I have been thinking about that A LOT.
We will be doing some smaller challenges for the time being, but I still want to do bigger
events
Maybe I could create a challenge with a shared universe idea.
Done in a way that all the entries could be pieced together like a movie trailer or a short...

ParamountCell
12-28-2009, 10:57 PM
so there will be no giant robots?

RobertoOrtiz
12-29-2009, 04:20 AM
so there will be no giant robots?

Yes, but that will be one of the "complicated ones"

JonathanFreisler
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Maybe I could create a challenge with a shared universe idea.
Done in a way that all the entries could be pieced together like a movie trailer or a short...

Similar to a multi vendor approach that films use. Multiple vendors (fx houses) working on one larger picture. Ive always found that interesting how different houses can get similar looks and the same quality. Would take a lot to orchestrate that, sounds cool.

RobertoOrtiz
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
For ideas, you guys might want to look at this:
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o)

Rafa-el
12-29-2009, 09:16 PM
maybe we could have a challenge where theres place for complex animated scenes, 1 shot animations and...stills? maybe on the nuke challenge someone could just do a previz of the nuke and this would fall into a "pre-viz" category of that challenge. anyway thats just my 2cents.

BusterHymen
12-30-2009, 02:35 AM
What happened to the nuke?

RobertoOrtiz
12-30-2009, 03:31 AM
relax, it will be the next one. We are just hinking about the future.

BusterHymen
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Cool, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

spurcell
12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
When is the next challenge set to start?

RobertoOrtiz
12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
First I have to count the votes for the current one.(I am goingto NY tonight)

I want to lauch it mid Jan.

spurcell
12-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't freeze your tushkas off. Darn cold out there.

nickmarshallvfx
12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I havent entered an fxwars challenge yet, but the ones that have tempted me the most and that i am most interested in are these specific idea one shot challenges like Nuke and Tornado. I am an environments person myself, so im waiting to see if something pops up that will be a heavy environment challenge, but i always check in here to see the work. inspiring and interesting!
Nick

MartinRomero
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Roberto,

Are you going to let us know when the voting phase is going to take place? I just want to make sure I don't miss any future details.

Martin

RobertoOrtiz
01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
No problem...

I will get all in shape in the next two weeks.
Keep an eye on THIS THREAD for details.

gster123
01-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Going to be in on the next one, it will be my first, should be good fun!

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

Steve

SoLiTuDe
01-10-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned more than once in the past (like a few years ago), but why not a sub-forum for mini fx challenges and then the main forum for bigger 'story' based challenges. There's FX shots and then there's VFX Productions -- two very different things. I personally think it'd be cool and very beneficial to have shorter, maybe 2 weeks to a month long fx challenges focusing on say a nuke or a building collapse or a tornado, or a waterfall, etc... basically some good RnD (rendered over black is fine). Maybe then, those can lead up to say the two or three month long project with a few shots that maybe is based around some of those fx from the mini challenge. So over two months say we do a nuke and a building collapse setup. Then in the main forum after those two are done, we have a "Steampunk Nuclear Detonation" VFX Challenge with all the bells and whistles... likely more of a team effort... simple storyline, some assets (planes and buildings), and so it becomes a few shots where the RnD that was done in the smaller challenge, is going to be put to use in some real shots... And while the bigger challenge is getting started there is some other small one going on that will be useful in the next bigger challenge... and the old ones can be ongoing. The Lighting challenges I think are a really good model to look at -- each challenge in one thread at a time. I think that'd be perfect for the fx-shot, not the big challenge. It's nice because it's all about feedback, right there.. wouldn't have to wade through 30 wip threads, you can kind of follow everybody's stuff in one thread. Anyway... I'm done rambling on... it's just some ideas...

RobertoOrtiz
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok those are good ideas,
I am talk with the people running the admin of the forum to see what can be done.

Any more ideas?
-R

JohnPGiancarlo
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm in for this one, sounds really interesting. :)

THE NUKE".

RobertoOrtiz
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
That is the next one...

:)

-R

viki164
01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
wt " Nuke" ??
Well this would be my first Fxwar challenge,I think I am in at right time!
any further detail about the challenge/ man-power / refernces/duration etc etc
Best
Vik

RobertoOrtiz
01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok we will be live in about two weeks.
The duration of the minichallenge will be about 1 month and a 1/2.

More details soon.

viki164
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
why is it mini?
can`t we have it on a big scale..Nuke is an big massive effect.
can we give more importance to it?
thnxs
Vik

RobertoOrtiz
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
We call them mini challenge becuase we are not the BIG CGSociety Challenges.

:)
When you do your entry you can take your VFX as far as you want.

JohnPGiancarlo
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
----- viki164 ---- I saw your stuff in youtube, amazing man, I hope I can learn something from you, I'm not very good with fluids, so if you have any tips for us the dummies would be very much appreciated...

Cheers.

viki164
01-14-2010, 06:33 AM
@ JohnPGiancarlo :
Sure Man, I m here to learn too. & wuld love to share my knowledge with u all especailly on this " Nuke ". So I can advance myself with u all to create more realistic explosion.
Happy Blasting!
Vik

spurcell
01-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Im looking forward to this one. I've yet to see a truly convincing 'Nuke' created solely with fluids.

RobertoOrtiz
01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Guys we will do a soft launch of this challenge.
In plain english this means that I will lauch this next week WITHOUT an announcement.

The reason is simple, we are about to launch an official CGSOCIETY challenge soon.
THe official plug for NUKE will be posted in about two weeks, but you should be able to work on it starting next week.

RobertoOrtiz
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
We are live..
CgTalk:FXWars! Nuke: Challenge:28 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=847637)

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.