PDA

View Full Version : The Dark: Animated Short

JHN
12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
http://public.subd.nl/cgtalk/theDark_img1.jpg

Hi all,

We'd like to post the online release of our in-house produced animated short: The Dark.
It was created over the course of 3 months, besides our normal paying jobs/projects, we had great fun making it. For animation we used 3dsMax and CAT and a small team of us, 3d people, working on and off on the job. It was a satisfying project and a great opportunity to try to leverage our productions, we learned a lot!

So hope you’ll like watching it!

The Dark (HD)
http://www.nmtrix.com/portfolio/the-dark-an-animated-short-2.html
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVMSZSvado

Cheers,
The NMTrix team,
-Johan

Dann-O
12-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Quality stuff nice movement and good humor.

donShole
12-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I really enjoyed that. Thanks.

Jeremydjutras
12-19-2009, 05:13 PM
took a little long to tell the story, but the technical aspects were done well, liked the animation approach.

simyevil2010
12-20-2009, 07:25 AM
hehehe very funny & nice animation good work go head

good luck 4 ever :applause:

JHN
12-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback, appreciate it!

@Jeremy: Good story/timing is maybe the most difficult thing to do, but we're learning ;)

Thanks!

-Johan

pixi-ugur
12-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats to all crew. I love the animation, character style and render. Pls say hi to Gurkan ;)

DDelapena
12-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Haha, I enjoyed this. Thanks.
Everything looked good, you can get away with a lot of things because it is stylized. I liked the style.
Yea it may have taken awhile to get to the story, but that's the build up that I like in animated short films....The afraid 'emotional state' that the kid was at..kept me interested to watch it till the end. Good job team!
-Dan

JHN
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
@pixi-ugur: Gurkan was said hi too ;)

@Dan: Since it was our first animated short we wanted to focus on certain things and leave other things out, so the focus was on story and animation, and surely things can be said on both, but it proved to be a good choice for us, and we're really excited so many people enjoy it!

Thanks!!
-Johan

CinematicFusion
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
great job guys. How was it working with CAT? I've worked with it some. Would you use it again or look to creating your own rig?

Lighting was great, did you use Mental Ray or Vray to render your shots?

Nice work!

msecure
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
really good, i like it.

Sjegeje
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
That was really, really entertaining... Well done!!!

AlexandroCastro
12-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Man, it scared me! Great!

JHN
12-23-2009, 12:40 PM
We are getting lots of great response, thank you all, it's a nice way to end the year ;)

@CinematicFusion : CAT worked okay for most parts, it has some problems with solving the IK and twists. But our animator used it before and there's some nice concepts in CAT, like storing animations and poses and some other stuff too. Admittedly CAT could use some real TLC, but we are using it in other productions as well. With some fixes for the flaws.

Cheers,
-Johan

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2009, 12:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.