PDA

View Full Version : Quadro fx2000 speeds with M:A?

Andy741
08-23-2003, 02:55 AM
Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many polygons M:A could show at 30 frames per second with a quadro fx2000 card? 24 fps?

Thanks,
Andy

Qslugs
08-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Many, many more than my quadro 2ex. I am sure you will have little problems with that boaed however why spend that much on a board when Messiah dosen't really require all that horsepower?

Andy741
08-27-2003, 01:19 AM
I'd want it to tackle anything I can throw at it.

Qslugs
08-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Is there even a faster card you can get? I guess there might be but thats cards a whole bunch o dollars. Don't know if I would be willing to fork over that kind of cash for a video board. Might be better to stick with the quadro 980 (thats the model right) caue it's probabaly a ton cheaper. Plus messiah isn't using any pixel shaders at this time so you'd get no benefit from that aspect of the card.

Andy741
08-28-2003, 12:56 AM
How many polys can the quadro 2ex put out at 30 fps?

Qslugs
08-28-2003, 03:59 AM
Well before I comment, this is only a 32 meg board and the lowest end quadro 2. Also the technology is about 2 years older or more which puts it in it's twilight years as far as computer hardware is concerned. My main idea when I bought the computer that the board came, I would upgrade the board in a year or so. While I will be doing that soon, I don't quite have the cash now to upgrade. It's on the list though.

As far as how it handles models... I can get more milage out of the board if I use wireframe mode, shaded mode does not respond as well espically when the subdivision mode is on. The framerate tanks to about 3 fps when I am moving around 500k polys in wire mode. Solid shaded models the frame rate is under 1 fps.

However... I never need to go that high of a poly count. Thoes numbers I just gave, thoes were from me loading a subdivided cube into messiah, cloning it 4 times and setting the sub-d level to 3 for each. Most of the time I am at a 12/24 fps range in shaded mode working way under 100k polys.

Andy741
08-28-2003, 05:06 AM
Thanks qslugs :)

Do you know how many polygons would be in a detailed character for a cinematic cut scene like Warcraft 3? I'm trying to imagine what a high poly character would look like. Maybe something like Shrek.

Qslugs
08-28-2003, 05:58 AM
No idea. You should post this same question over on the yahoogroups. See what kind of responses you get. I bet you will seek the answers you are looking for.

Also, cinematic level characters are probabaly being driven by a lores mesh (or un-subdivided mesh), there is no way anyone would be moving around a couple hundred k polys in realtime.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.