PDA

View Full Version : There's a new "King" in the animation world

FloydBishop
08-23-2003, 03:03 AM
It's official, "Finding Nemo" passed "The Lion King" at the boxoffice to make it the highest grossing animated film ever. Congrats to everyone on the Nemo crew.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=638&e=1&u=/nm/20030822/en_nm/leisure_findingnemo_dc_3

Icarus
08-23-2003, 03:13 AM
Awsome!.. Glad to hear it..
Its an awsome film, well designed and everything came together nicely..

Congrats to all at Pixar and everyone assoc'd wiht the film :)

TyR-

jeremybirn
08-23-2003, 11:32 AM
It's funny how this "news event" has happened twice - you may recall all the press about Nemo swimming past Simba on June 30 as well. Lion King earned an extra $15 million in a 2003 re-release on IMAX format. Some people count that as another venue, listing it in a different category than Lion King's initial $312 million domestic box office run in 1994, so they said Nemo beat LK back when Nemo's domestic box office passed 312. Other people (yahoo at least) have added The Lion King's 2003 IMAX take to the 1994 domestic box office numbers, so they came up with a later date. (Of course, if you corrected initial domestic box office for inflation you could come up with a third comparison, and all three would be valid - like they say, 74.5% if all statistics are meaningless.)

-jeremy

TheGreenGiant
08-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Nemo starts in Australia next Thursday - expect that $$$ figure to rise and rise. Especially from the takings from Sydneysiders flocking to see it.. not once, not twice but thrice!!!

:D

I plan to see it at least twice.

leigh
08-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Incredible! I still haven't seen Finding Nemo (it hasn't played here yet :cry: ) but I can't wait to see it, and I am sure it's excellent!

I personally always thought the Lion King was overrated. Maybe it's because I live in Africa that I thought it was a tad cheesy :)
Great animation of course, but the storyline was... not great, actually it was really disappointing.

TheGreenGiant
08-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
I live in Africa

I thought that. So leigh, what is the cg industry like in Africa?

Redf
08-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Until Shrek 2 and the Incredibles get here???:cool:
Love that Nemo,along with everything else Pixar and pdi put out,face it.:beer:

leigh
08-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
I thought that. So leigh, what is the cg industry like in Africa?

It's okay, I guess :)
Still very much "in development" so there is a lot of bitchiness and backstabbing. And people take it a little too personally when you leave their studios :rolleyes:

But it's coming along, I guess. We have more and mroe fine institutions offering great CG courses, which means better quality artists entering this emerging field :)

Boone
08-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Perhaps maybe if they get their act together and release the film in the UK, I'd be able to judge for myself...

Until that happens - Snow white reigns supreme!:D

Dargon
08-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Most money ever grossed statistics bug the hell out of me.

I mean, what is the big deal, anyway? Especially if you consider the fact that movie prices are always rising. When The Lying King came out, ticket prices in Canada were at about $8, now they're around $14!!!

Not only that, but movie watching is becoming more and more of a regular pastime - more people can afford to spend some cash on a show, than in the industry's infancy.

So who's to say, that based on proportion of movie-goers number of ticket sales of Casablanca is way higher than Saving Captain Nemo?

The amount of gross a movie makes, is meaningless to it's worth, except to those who made it. Look at Titanic, it made a bundle, and it was crap.

Not that I'm saying Nemo is bad (or will be, I haven't seen it yet), in fact, I can hardly wait to see it. I just think that it's passing some milestone in dollars made is a useless figure.

Boone
08-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Re: Dargon.

Do you remember the Scottish chap in Titanic? The one who starts killing passengers and then shoots himself?

Jim Cameron had to pay out 5-million in damages to the family of that guy, because he couldn't get his facts right...

SO make sure you deduct 5-mil from the total cash Titanic made...:twisted:

FloydBishop
08-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Dargon
Most money ever grossed statistics bug the hell out of me.

I mean, what is the big deal, anyway?

The big deal from a business standpoint is that someone has to pay to make these films, and you're asking them to write you a pretty huge check. The fact that a film that is somewhat of a model for how an animated film should be made is now the proof that such a film will be accepted by audiences is a good thing. It proves that the art is important and is worth the money/effort that goes into the film. Maybe this will trickle down into other animation areas, such as television (one can hope, right?).

What bugs me are the opening weekend figures. You can't really go by that, because the audience hasn't had time to see for themselves yet. All you have to do is raise enough interest to make people wonder, especially in the summer.

jeremybirn
08-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Dargon
[B]consider the fact that movie prices are always rising. When The Lying King came out, ticket prices in Canada were at about $8, now they're around $14!!![B]

That's true, and speaking of ticket prices, animated films tend to be viewed with a lot of children's discount tickets and lower-priced matinee screenings, instead of the more expensive adult tickets and evening shows, so animated films would rank higher on the lists of the world's most popular films if you counted people instead of money.

Even investors who finance films see initial domestic box office as just a small part of the picture. They know only 40% of total box office comes from the USA, and more importantly that total box office is only about 1/3rd of a film's income, with the rest coming from DVD, VHS, cable, broadcast, airlines, merchandise, etc. How well a film opens in the first few weeks is almost like an initial exit poll to predict an outcome, rather than a final conclusion about anything, but it still shapes the market for what new films are ordered, and what jobs many of us on this list will end up getting.

-jeremy

JamesMK
08-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Congratulations to the crew! Must feel good to see those 5 years (?) of development finally paying off.

igorstshirts
08-25-2003, 07:12 AM
I have not seen Nemo yet either...:cry: I'm waiting to see it on IMAX!:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.