PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Thomas-Gustave : 2010 Creature TD Reel

malcolmTG
12-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Figured I'd start the new year with a new reel. So here' some stuff from the last couple years of my life. Well last 4 or so actually. Stuff from Blur Studios, Sony Imageworks, Jim Henson Creatureshop, and Weta Digital.

I would like to take a moment to say that at each job I was blessed to work with a crew of incredibly talented and motivated individuals that made my work look a million times better than if I was working alone. I value all that I received from working with them.

Finally this newest reel was edited together by Luis Suarez ( suarezlr@gmail.com ).

Demoreel Page with Multiple Viewing Options:
http://ikfk.com/demoreel.html

Reel Breakdown:
http://malcolmthomasgustave.com/reel/reel2010/mtg_2010_demoreelBreakdown.rtf

Cheers,
Malcolm.

csmallfield
12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey man, great reel! Not sure if you remember but I worked with you a while back at method, on that caress spot with the flowers. Your work was good then, it's only gotten better! It would be cool to maybe see a tech reel that shows off some of the rigs and rig UI's you made, otherwise, great reel!

-Chris "Space"

simyevil2010
12-19-2009, 08:16 AM
really he is amazing i like it but same work is dark hes need more light ok , go head

good luck 4 ever :thumbsup:

EricDLegare
12-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Very nice reel filled with epicness.

The only thing I really dislike is the title intro, the way text appeared on screen makes the intro not on par with the epicness level of the reel.

But I am beeing picky because your reel deserves it :applause:

malcolmTG
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
hey chris, i totally remember working with you guys. it was a lot of fun. and i agree about showing some tech demo type pieces. it's just been hard to show a lot of the work from different places, so im doing some stuff in my spare time that i can really delve into showing.

simyevil - i agree, there are some parts that need to brighten a bit, but it's hard to know exactly cause even with my two monitors it looks fine on one and darker on the other.

EricDLegare - i should get the text fighting each other as the intro. haha. more could have been done for the intro, but i just wanted to keep it simple cause the rest of the reel is pretty over the top.

i appreciate the kind words from everyone.

cheers,
malcolm.

NolanSW
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Looking Awesome as always. Come a long way. I remember when you were a noob posting little demos over on creaturetd. Now you have the problem of figuring out what to cut from your reel so it's not feature length. Bravo sir!

-Sean

VideoCreative
12-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Well as for a titles they can be better but what comes after the titles nullifies every will for criticism of the titles :). And its not a uncommon that character animators have difficulties in choosing of fonts for their show-reel :P .

Overall 10/10 for a show-reel content

Best
George

malcolmTG
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
thanks sean. i totally remember those days all too well. fun times, but bein the noob sucks. hahaha.

VideoCreativ - i really appreciate the kind words. it's always good to see that people like the stuff that i've had the opportunity to work on.

malcolm.

Abazaba
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
once again you hit us with a face full of awesomeness!! i love the excitement of it all. imma say you dont need to show off the rigs cause the caliber of projects youve been on says it all. did the blizzard deal work out?

RobertoOrtiz
01-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Great reel!
Plugged

-R

shadermonkey
01-04-2010, 02:00 AM
congrats! i remember seeing your student reel when i first signed up for animation courses in Miami. You are still an inspiration. hope 2010 continues to bring you much success and happiness.

Daemonecles
01-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Breathtaking reel. Really highlights some top shelf work. Thanks for posting it!

CelticArtist
01-04-2010, 03:09 AM
wow...I log into cgtalk and one of my models is on the front page :D Malcolm you sly dog you, thanks for the unintended plug! I hope this reel goes miles for you man, it's great, and you introduced me to vimeo as a streaming upload site, i'd been afraid i'd have to use youtube.

(I modeled Dad, Grandma, and Baby Zeke for Sid the Science Kid) Malcolm did an amazing job rigging on the show with the constraints we had. It's such a shame I can't post any of the stress tests you put the characters through though, great stuff!

Good luck man, and congrats on the front page plug!

-Justin

JBSDesigns
01-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Hey Malcolm

Great stuff. I remember seeing your reel a while ago back before I finally broke into char fx. Very impressive and inspired me to keep working hard. I see you worked on Sid. Wasn't Henson an amazing studio to work at. Thanks for sharing your reel. I always enjoy how its put together with music and such. Best of luck.

Silverwing
01-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow jost amazing wat you are presenting us here in your reel. Stunning stuff! Really top notch!

Keep it up!

Cheers Silverwing

DontBlinkx182x
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Malcolm, Marissa told me your reel was up and I had to look at it. Man this is some great work you have here. I am really impressed with the reel. I wish you all the best in finding a new job and I know youll land something great!

Keep in touch

-Nick

bishopss4
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey Malcolm, I was one of your interns at FS. The reels fantastic! I hope one day I have a reel like that. I am still working hard on my portfolio. Thanks for the inspiring works!

arkangel-fx
01-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Great reel! 5 stars stuff!

Kithlak
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
great job malcolm, Looks awesome :-D

brentelliott
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey Malcolm! As much as I like your reel, I much prefer the "stress tests" that Justin talked about below. That's the funniest stuff I've ever seen. Take care!

Larry_g1s
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Nice work bud.

fleety
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Ahhhhh, show us a stress test please! Good work mate.

mushtools
01-05-2010, 01:43 AM
amazing reel, awesome works

Boucha
01-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Really cool reel ... top notch :thumbsup: ... I would have loved to see what's going on under the hood ... hehe :D

e-moo
01-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Great reel! :)
Can you please share what software was used in the "Transformers" cinematic for rigging?
What's your preferred software for rigging?

Sparty
01-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Hey Malcolm,
That's one bad ass real! Loved the editing and the work speaks for itself. Bravo. Glad to see your back at Fullsail. Not to knock my professors, they were great, but I would have loved to have had a professor with your background when I went there.
Best wishes,
Eric

waijman
01-05-2010, 02:48 AM
i already saw it a couple of weeks back, but congrats on the front page man

hope your vacation was splendiforous

ekin79
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow jost amazing wat you are presenting us here in your reel. Stunning stuff! Really top notch!

Keep it up!

Cheers Silverwing

wamo
01-05-2010, 08:59 PM
It's a fantastic reel, top works, the only parts that I really would like to see in Tech artists reels are technical works and see tools, new tech ideas, etc ... Maybe this reel need a little focus on the showing the tech parts or maybe another separate reel for those it.

Best regards,
Ehsan.

DDelapena
01-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Awesome stuff there Malcolm. I saw this in DRC last month at Full Sail University right before I graduated. I had the pleasure of having you as one of my instructors. Keep up the good work!

-Dan

BoostAbuse
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Nice seeing your work again Malcom, like Sean said it's been a long time since the CreatureTD days with the motion tests. Keep this up and I'll have to pass off the Captain Frontpage title to you dude ;)

gauta
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
sweet reel malcolm. :)

dotcommie
01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Still so modest huh? ;)

I believe you were a couple months ahead or behind me at FS and your stuff then was top notch. Yes the models looked good but that made your rigging even more impressive. Loved it then, and after all this time I'm glad to see you're still creating amazing stuff.

2010 is finally the year I do more than just fart around in 3d after my non-related fulltime job so who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other some day in the field. It would be an honor to work with you but I am far from it at this point...I feel like a complete noob again since software has evolved so much :curious:

FrizzleFry0
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Great stuff, Malcolm. Can't wait to see more of your personal projects come into light too. Chocolossus for the win. :beer:

malcolmTG
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to this, just been incredibly busy this last month. But I wanted to take a moment to think everyone for the kind words. I'm still planning on doing another reel of personal work so that I can show more tech things, but I figured this should be good enough to get work with. Been teaching, but I dig doing freelance stuff so that was more the goal here.

I wish I still had any of those stress tests from henson. They were fun to do. Just gave me new ways each day of testing out the work. And Justin I'm glad you got to see some of your work on the front page as well.

@e-moo : the transformers cinematics were all rigged in XSI. that was towards the end of my time at blur, where we were using XSI and 3dsMax. personally i prefer maya for rigging, because that's where i'm the most comfortable. But XSI has some really amazing tools as well. Max has a couple things I like, but overall I found it a bit more cumbersome as a rigger, great for everything else though.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Cheers,
Malcolm.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.