PDA

View Full Version : New Never Center webpage is up.

crgowo
08-22-2003, 08:54 PM
The Makers of Silo have their new website up with FAQ about their software and a few other stuff.
http://www.nevercenter.com/
just thought i would let everyone know :)

TRick
08-22-2003, 10:21 PM
And again a new software that is tied to the MACHINE...

...Land Of The Free :thumbsdow

Goon
08-22-2003, 10:50 PM
And again a new software that is tied to the MACHINE...
?WTF?

crgowo
08-22-2003, 11:31 PM
the software is tied to the hardware address or machine id. so you cannot install on more then one machine like if you have pc and a labtop and you install on the pc and get your license, if you travel you will not beablet o install on your labtop so you can use while your on the road.

maya
Motionbuilder 4.03 ple
are examples of software that are tied to your hardware address.

the alternative is a dongle or hardware key like lightwave uses.

dont know if that made sense. :)

roger
08-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Well it actually say's "Home users can request codes for two different computers per copy of Silo purchased." right HERE. (http://www.nevercenter.com/index.php/Buy%20Online/169)

Goon
08-23-2003, 12:05 AM
oh that. THought you were making some massive anti-capitalist statement LOL.

I've emailed them about it. No reply yet. Personally I use about 3 different machines and wouldnt want to be limited to using just one for modeling.

Its a good solution, if a bit limiting. Unfortunately I havent seen a piece of software yet that hasnt been cracked.

TRick
08-23-2003, 12:28 AM
In my unexperienced days, I had to wait for 3 weeks for an authorization code with Lightscape (RIP !!), which almost cost me a client. So I rather pay more for a dongle (even on $100 software) than ever buying machine-dependant software again. Particularly for something like a modeller that is gonna be used on a daily basis (in contrast to Lightscape)...

I made an exception for XFrog (which I don't use anymore since TreeDesigner for LW creates more realistic trees) and Lumenumbra:Metanoise (who's developer promised to change his licensing scheme by tying it to the dongle a very long time ago and still has NOT done so...that was my last waisted money !!!)...

...still not THAT experienced

Peter Reynolds
08-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Hardware locked eh?

Round 1:

Wings wins with knockout punch on price, platform availability and no hardware lock.

Round 2:

This software will need to be really hot to beat the free apps and to attract users away from their main apps like LW, Max, Maya and XSI.

Going to be interesting...

richcz3
08-23-2003, 02:57 AM
Yeah the price seams nice, but the harware tie looks to nix the idea. A modeler with that kind of anchor isn't very appealing.

Peter pretty much nailed what its going to have to be able to do in order to get me to part with me cash.

richcz3

Hookflash
08-23-2003, 03:23 AM
Simple copy protection (ie, serial number, CD checks, etc.) is good because it prevents "accidental" copyright violation without being inconvenient. In fact, it's actually easier to purchase the app and insert your CD than it is to search for & download working cracks. This new "hardware lock" fiasco, on the other hand, actually makes it more inconvenient to be a legitimate user. I feel like I'm being punished for doing the right thing. Meanwhile, nothing has changed for the people who knowingly pirate software. :banghead: :annoyed:

AmbientLight
08-23-2003, 03:30 AM
You guys forget that Rhino has been on the market for years now and it's doing pretty well. If NURBs modeler can do pretty well, why Silo can't?

There are people in production environment who only need to model. Why would studio shell out thousands of dollars for XSI or Maya license? Wings3D is good but if you have a problem, you can't really dial 800 number and get tech support right away. When you face a deadline, I seriously doubt anybody would spend their valuable time browsing though official or unofficial forums in search of an answer to their problem.

Ibox
08-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Tied to the machine?

Nowhere did I read this... all I read was you get an activation code... so what, same same for many of the apps I have on my machine... Take Carrara for instance... recieved the boxed set via FedX, loaded it on the machine, keyed in the code and voila...

So what gives with all the scare stuff here? Business as usual... the only thing with these guys is the online purchasing... to which I recieved an email from these folks and they suggested that no sweat, some other purchace arrangement would/could be possible... so??? What gives folks? Are you just not wishing to spend some dough for a decent software package, or are you up to tricks which are intended to scare folks off...

Buy it and use it, or not, up to you...

bored alien
08-23-2003, 05:45 AM
no hardware locking :thumbsup:

jamchild
08-23-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi,
We did in fact have info on the website that we were going to use hardware keys for copy protection. As release nears, we've been leaning towards a more friendly approach. We thought we'd test it out on the website to see how unfriendly it would be perceived, and well, the people have spoken, so no hardware key :)

Tom

Ibox
08-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Hehe, must have come off the site before I responded here... sorry to the folks who had in fact saw said info...

Hey Tom, this is great news, right on, it is nice to see a company which cares so much... now then... demo, by the end of which week... this one I hope, because that means tommorow... :D

TRick
08-23-2003, 08:38 AM
This is unexpectedly.....GREAT !!!

If support for potential users is fast I imagine it will be too for future users...that says more then price...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BazC
08-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Thankyou for your prompt response and action!
Now for the demo, oh and a Mac version! :o)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.