PDA

View Full Version : can saslite do decent long hair?

sinbad
08-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Has anyone managed to create decent long hair with saslite? I've used varying guide chain setups but always end up with clumps or bad scalp coverage. Do I need the full version of sasquatch as I know saslite is very limited. Any advice appreciated.

Paul

CB_3D
08-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Yes, You do!

SplineGod
08-23-2003, 09:02 AM
You can get nice long hair with saslite.
Its best to texture the scalp in such a way to blend the hair in better. Make the hair guides a bit longer then you think they shoud be. Initially turn the frizz and clumping way down. Start cranking things up as you go. Keep the segments under 40 or so for the guides. Layer them like you would real hair.

KenM
08-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi Sinbad,

I did this test a while ago, and found that lighting is really critical.
It looks good from this angle, but not from the front indicating a need to tweak it further. I'd likely bloom out the hair highlights in compositing. There is a fur layer applied to the scalp to cover and blend the rest.

This model uses guide chains, jittered, then cloned in three layers. Each layer has slightly different Saslite settings.

http://www3.telus.net/kenmayfield/sasliteHair.jpg

SplineGod
08-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Nice job Ken!
You can have up to 7 or 8 instances of saslite on various things too. Another trick Ive used is to create a UV map of a hair object.
Ill unwrap the uvs, create a template from that and then create hair guides to match the template. Ill then render this in layout and reapply it as a UV map. This can give very good results especially when used under a layer hair guides as filler. :)

ngrava
08-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Uhg!! Sasquatch! I just finished animating a CG Polar bear for Klondike that was covered in White fur! 3 different spots! EERK!It's great that Worley made this plug in but hell, it's literally painful to work with. ;)

Originally posted by SplineGod
Nice job Ken!
You can have up to 7 or 8 instances of saslite on various things too. Another trick Ive used is to create a UV map of a hair object.
Ill unwrap the uvs, create a template from that and then create hair guides to match the template. Ill then render this in layout and reapply it as a UV map. This can give very good results especially when used under a layer hair guides as filler. :)

SplineGod, Thanks for this tip... I have no idea what you are saying but it sounds so cool! ;-) Seriously though, When you say, "create a UV map of a hair object" what does that mean? Do you just mean the object that's going to receive the hair? Also, "create hair guides to match the template"... Uh... what do you mean by that exactly? I'm sorry, this sounds really useful but it looks like you just didn't have time to really explain what the process is. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks so much!

-=GB=-

SplineGod
08-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Lets say you are going to texture map the hair. You would designate an area on your model that would be getting the hair texture.
You could create a template that you would use to create the texture from (typically in a paint program). The template can be done by doing a screen capture or doing a UV unwrap or whatever.
Next I reload that image back into modeler as a backdrop.
I then use splines to trace the edges of the background image
I either can use splines to do a multirailextrude of some single point polys or rail clone some hair guides. The idea is to quickly create hair guides that match the shape and flow of polys on the template.
After that I take the hair guides into layout and render then after applying Saslite. This render is then applied back onto the hair surface as a UV map.

sinbad
09-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the tips splinegod & KenM, much appreciated!

paul

leigh
09-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Wow, I never knew that Saslite could do long hair :surprised

Well I guess you learn something new every day :D

JVitale
09-02-2003, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ngrava
[B]Uhg!! Sasquatch! I just finished animating a CG Polar bear for Klondike that was covered in White fur! 3 different spots! EERK!It's great that Worley made this plug in but hell, it's literally painful to work with. ;)

You are not kidding!...I'm working on a Teddy Bear and I had to have three spotlights. One in the front of his face, one on top and the another on the side...It took sooo much trial and error to get what I want....and I am STILL making tweaks....grrr...I hate Sas...we need something easier...

SplineGod
09-02-2003, 03:56 AM
Saslite will do quite a bit more then people realize. It just takes a little tweaking and creative use of LW :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.