PDA

View Full Version : Facial and body animation

leviathan
08-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi everybody!

This is a question to all who do character rig / animation:

Do you prefer to have all the facial controls with the body controls?

That is, the facial and body rigs on the same file.

I know that there are studios who do it in separate rigs, one rig for the face, and one for the body (for example Blue Sky). In this way, 2 animators can be working on the same shot and character at the same time (body movement and lip-sinc, for ex.).

What you prefer, and why? I'm developing a face rig, and I appreciate some feedback about the way to go.

Thanks!

goosh
08-22-2003, 07:38 PM
I like to have it all in one file.

But be able to hide all the facial stuff so I can concentrate on the body movements first and then once that is finished, then move into the facial

Having two different files and having two people work on it seems weird to me.

Facial animation is very important and it goes together with your mody movement, so if someone is animating the body one way and the facials are showing something else, I don't think it would look too hot

just my 2c

Goosh

eek
08-30-2003, 11:11 PM
The ability to have it all in one file is great!. I have a set up whereby i can turn the face on and off when i need it . At Framestore the setup was nice whereby we had two setups, firstly you animate the rig with no facial stuff this forced you to put in all the manurisms, nuances into the character. Then we'd work on the rig with facial stuff adding all the lipping just to top off the performance!

eek

nottoshabi
08-30-2003, 11:20 PM
Yes same here all on one character. It becomes a nice preview, plus I like to se my character come to life. Some times if I really like the audio clip I will animate both facial and body, to really express the posse and the emotion.

Just my two cents:wavey:

leviathan
09-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your answers!

As my facial and body rig gets completed, the hi-res model becomes really slow! Splitting into 2 rigs makes the model faster. I suppose it depends on the complexity of the model.

I'll try to put it all together!

Thanks! :)

nottoshabi
09-16-2003, 10:03 PM
You can hyde the Hy rez in a layer and animate only with the Low rez and when you like the animation do a play blast with the Hy rez on.;)

Thats what I do.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.