PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Animation Reel

ajfrank
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Hello cg world! I'm happy and excited that I'm finally done with my animation demo reel and I'm now available for employment! I spent lots of time studying and practicing and I hope it shows in my reel. I also have more work on my site that I did not put on my reel so please feel free to check those out as well when you're done looking at my reel.

So here's my reel and enjoy! Let the job hunt begin!

http://www.ajfrank3d.com/Demo-Reel.php

Thanks for your time and please feel free to comment and critique.

*I fixed the video error that was happening

mistasam02
12-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Ah man! Your best stuff didn't start until half way through the reel. Definitely put the movie theater shot first, and move your car/tiny and transformer pieces to the front. The rest of it just doesn't seem to stand up in comparison. The ninja vs. mech sequence has cool choreography but the animation isn't up to par with the rest of your stuff. Good job overall though, and good luck!

ajfrank
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks Sam for your input.

Any other advice or input from anyone??? Good or bad I need to know.

Abazaba
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
ill agree with the re-shuffling of shots. and second the removal of the first shot. i dont particularly like how the mech moves, feels too poppy and stop motiony (if thats a word), like ed-209. it needs more weight, and the human should be smoother.

its great for a first reel, and allot better than most FS reels. good luck to you

ajfrank
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Abazaba. Someone gave me an awesome critique on my reel and gave me some good advice on what to do for that robot jitter. I doubt I'll remove my first piece. I'll just work on the animation some more on that piece since it shouldn't take too long to fix.

Thanks for your input

skealeye
12-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Wow u got a lot of stuff to show for your first reel...

my opinion would be to cut the first animation with the robot and the guy, as well as the car sequence. The rest of you animation looks pretty solid.
The order in which you present your work is also very important. Most people you send your reel too will give it about 15-20 seconds, before they start fast forwarding it.

I would personally start with the guys in the movie theather, cutting the shot where u see the back of there heads. Then continue on with the rest of your character pieces. my 2 cents.

Good luck with the job hunt!

David-J
12-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Great stuff. I agree with most of what people say. I just want to let you know that I really enjoyed your reel.

Cheers and good luck!

ajfrank
12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
@ skealeye, Thank you for your opinion. I kept that first 15-20 second rule in mind while I was creating my reel and the order of presentation. I have a few things in my reel to show that I can animate in various styles. I was once told to have variations in your reel that way you don't leave the recruiter guessing on your abilities.

@ David-J, Thank you for enjoying my reel

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.