PDA

View Full Version : Boujou + 3ds max

adam-b
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

it's been a while since i have done anything CG related. I had this occasion to do a small composit so thought i'd take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxueH6v1X9Q

Camera tracking was done in Boujou and was pretty tricky because the camera is quite shaky after all....worked out pretty well though, i hope?? :P

Compositing and rendering was entirely done in max since i had a much too tight deadline and huge problems with the video format as the footage was captured in final cut pro on a mac and was in a pretty shitty format to work with on windows...nightmares.....

anyways, it's not perfect but i'm kinda content.
What are your opinions?
Any questions?

Cheers!
AB

jtvergarav
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Looks very cool to me man, nice concept too... but not sure what it is.

The only thing is that the light isn't there that much. Also, there are like different "films" if you know what I mean. (the cg and the bg)

and also, believe me that's not a hard track. I'm not telling you this because I'm a super tracker, but because I work with a guy that has tracked impossible stuff. And stuff boujou can't handle, so he has done them by hand :P

and yes I've done stuff by hand too when boujou can't handle it, sucks ;(

and about the video, why was it so hard to work with? you used straight video all the time or converted it to an image sequence from first?

adam-b
12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi!
Thanx for your feedback, it's really helpful because this was my first track ever...
One of the main reasons why it looks so amateurish was "time" :)
the deadline was much too tight for finding out how to do most of the stuff along the way.

first: tracking
never used boujou before, and not really familiar with the whole tracking process.
shot at night, so automatic tracking didnt do much because of smeared picture.

lighting:
the light positions and the model structure didn't allow for the model to cast any real shadows on the ground (no excuse i know, sometimes you gotta fake ;) )
no real time to try out different scenarios..

rendering:
not much rendering time, not enough for motion blur which would have looked really cool.

problems in general:
import in premiere: as acquiring footage was done in final cut pro, the format was some crappy apple thing, that no program could really import on windows, so i had to google for hours to actually have the image sequence to work with, the worst thing was that i didnt know that stuff beforehand so i couldn't go back to the mac- workstation which was at university...
not that cool if you have like 2 days from start to finish...including render.

other little annoying crap: some boujou crashes without prior saving...3ds max crashes...

the problems are not meant as an excuse why the result is not optimal, but as a pointer on where my weaknesses are, so i can improve. and maybe some of you can learn stuff for themselves also ^^

anyways:
the model is some kind of pavillon that was designed by a friend of mine (arch student) which should be visualized. he decided that tracking + composit was best, why he "hired" me :)

thanx for reading :)

adam-b
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
oh forgot:
@ yeminius:

is there anything you can show me that was done by your tracker friend?

jtvergarav
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't get me wrong man, I really like it.

And I think its very cool for the first time using Boujou. I'm not an experienced guy either. I've been doing cg for like 2 and half years or something, so I'm just telling you some of my experiences in this short period.

Let me look for that shot this guy tracked. Anyway, he is not a tracker :P, the guy just knows how to do a lot of things and is very good at that.

jtvergarav
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
here is the video man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bpOmB1H3w

forget about the lighting and stuff. Check the swing shot, that's the one that was the hardest and had to be made by hand. I think I did all the other tracks, a lot by hand. In fact Boujou just helped to give some of the camera movements.

And as I was telling you, I've not been on this that long. In fact, we did that ad this year, and there I learned some Boujou, as you did this time. Is just it was very hardcore tracking after all, since it was the first time I did. Lots of patience :P

adam-b
01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
wow, instalacion gratis!! :)

yeah i see, it must have been really hard in some places!! cool!

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.