PDA

View Full Version : LESSONS LEARNED (Queen of the Rocketmen): Lets TalK!

RobertoOrtiz
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
LESSONS LEARNED (NEO-RACE): Lets TalK!
First I would like to congratulate all who were able to finish
their entries for the current challenge. I am very happy with the quality of the entries that were submitted.

So Tell us

How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?
How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?
How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this)
What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?
What were the biggest roadblocks?
Was the challenge complex enough?
Looking forward to your comments

-Roberto

TomBombRiot
12-17-2009, 02:21 AM
The first time I've ever took on a challenge, it was great fun, but right now I am exhausted (my own fault :) )

I definetly think that the toughest part of the whole challange was to get the story straight. I concentrated way to much on the individual shots, so much that the connection between them got lost. I really should have made a simple pre-viz from the start to easy the pain :) But I know myself, I probably just would have made the pre-viz almost just as complex as the final.

I think that the added deadline was relly good for the final result. It's a bit boring because it feels somehow like it was cheating, but since soo many needed it i guess it was the correct thing to do.

StevieMac
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
This was the first time I've ever done a challenge on the net, it was fun but it did have it's ups & downs. I think next time I might team up with a few buddy's & see how we do to ease the pain of it all. =0)

How did you guys felt about the dateline? How did you guys felt about the extra time?
The deadline seemed fine in the beginning which made me think what I should take on & what I shouldn't. So I knew from the beginning I wanted something that looked good but wasn't a film in itself that I wouldn't be able to finish by the end of the time given.
The extra time I didn't need really but it did allow me to go back through what I'd done & fix a few things I wasn't too pleased with also it allowed me think more about the whole finished result. Without the extra time I would have been hard pressed but I think I could have done it just in time.

The supplied materials were good the models were great what I used, ok they needed tweaking here & there but I'm sure those guys had deadlines too.
The concept art I saw was pretty inspiring even if I didn't use it, it was nice to see other people imaginations on the screen.
Storyboards I hoped there would be a lot more of since I'm not too good at that part. So I lost a few days/week of modeling animation setting up doing this.

How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this)
I don't think filmed material would have helped much for me I just went back through my DVD collection & watched a few films I thought were relevant to the subject.

The biggest challenge for me was the lighting & only having one PC to simulate & render on (as with everyone else I'd imagine) for the explosions etc things take soo long to work then re work over & over again you get to a point where you just have to say, that's it move on.

hmmm I think I was very lucky as I don't remember being stuck. If there was a roadblock I got away from the PC for a bit & thought about it & found a way around the problem.

YES but inspiring enough to keep pushing to the finish line.

Thanks again guys.

Steve

feldy
12-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Well I could have used another month or so to be honest. I was not able to complete all my shots. This seemed like a big project a little bigger then normal. Maybe with a team I could have done way more.

The models were great. Just not set up for animation.

How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material? ( I always have to ask this) Maybe but it seems like if you did that everyones might look the same.

Telling my self to move on. I got stuck redoing and redoing the missile exp I stopped thinking of the big picture.

Keeping Final render stable.

It was more of a overall challenge then just fx. Fx wasent the focus the Rocket man was. It seemed more like a mini trailer challenge. I found my self doing a lot more then a normal fx animator would be. I was texturing, lighting, scene setup, animating cameras and planes just way more involved then just doing a fx challenge based on explosions or a water sim. It was still very fun though.

ParamountCell
12-19-2009, 01:29 PM
The extra time was much appreciated, I just wish I used the time more wisely.

The quality of the supplied materials is outstanding, I really liked Japetus air machine. However I decided to use my own models and materials so that I am able to gain a greater understanding of the whole CG workflow.

For the above reason it is unlikely that I would have used any film material as part of the finished product. I may have used it for reference though.

Self doubt is a big one. Overconfidence in my new machine is another big one. I had an great ambitons when I started this challenge, and at times that can get in the way of the whole planning process. My storyboards and animatics should have been more detailed, so I had an idea of how the finished trailer would come out. I think the overall result lacked alot of polish due to poor planning.

Poor planning, Maya 2008 kept crashing when I was working with fluids, so major scenes had to be edited from the final trailer.

Yes, but I have learnt so much.

Thank you Rob. :D

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2009, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.