PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 2 Cinematic Trailer

RobertoOrtiz
12-13-2009, 04:39 AM
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14235019/mass-effect-2/videos/masseffect2_trl_121209.html

-R

BColbourn
12-13-2009, 04:56 AM
seems like we'll have to wait til the 22nd to see the full trailer. does anyone know if blur did this work?

Shletten
12-13-2009, 05:28 AM
I liked the destruction simulations.

belail
12-13-2009, 07:06 AM
seems like we'll have to wait til the 22nd to see the full trailer. does anyone know if blur did this work?

Yes, Bioware's been saying that Blur worked on this trailer.

I have to say, as cool as this is and as much as I'm looking forward to the game...Releasing part of an ad for a bigger ad is just a big pet peeve of mine. I'm sure in a marketing/hype generating point of view it makes a lot of sense but it just bugs me.

Zerflag
12-13-2009, 08:31 AM
yep, we did that.

FreespaceFilms
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Holy Krogans, this looks awesome. It's exactly in the tone and feel of the Mass Effect universe. Can't wait to see the full trailer.

I loved Mass Effect 1. Will Mass Effect 2 have several more Blur cinematics, or just a trailer?

hakanpersson
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, visuals were insane! Seems like EA is paying good cash for making those, Mass Effect and Dragon Age trailers have had by far best quality from Blur so far=) I didnt entirely like the editing, but I guess that's because it wasnt the full version.

It's kind of a shame that trailers dont't seem to make it into the games anymore, it's just marketing material, at most it ends up in the Attract. Love well told stories in full cinematic:drool:

Great work Blur!

talos72
12-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Sounds like Martin Sheen doing the voice-over. cool trailer.

BookMansBlues
12-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Sounds like Martin Sheen doing the voice-over. cool trailer.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/59529/PC/Mass-Effect-2/Trailer/Celebrity-Cast (http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/59529/PC/Mass-Effect-2/Trailer/Celebrity-Cast)

ME2 cast

Shademaster
12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Woawowow that was great! I am definitely affected by Marketing if it is made by Blur :cool: .

MikkoK
12-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Will Mass Effect 2 have several more Blur cinematics, or just a trailer?

Mass Effect 2 cinematics are mostly done in-house. There's a lot of in-game stuff required simply because everyone can customize their own Shepard. However, we've made a lot of improvements over ME1 and the game has a much more cinematic feel to it.

SciFibrow
12-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Stunning.

So many amazing games coming out this generation, I think we're a bit spoiled!

richcz3
12-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Already ordered my Special Edition.
Mass Effect is the Only game I've ever played three times through. Really can't wait for this release.

JoshBowman
12-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Mass Effect 2 cinematics are mostly done in-house. There's a lot of in-game stuff required simply because everyone can customize their own Shepard. However, we've made a lot of improvements over ME1 and the game has a much more cinematic feel to it.

Love everything coming out of Bioware (except the MMO Kotor, i want single player =_= but that's not related to this)

Mass Effect 2 is on my top 5 'games-to-buy' list!

evolucian
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
nice looking forward to it. too bad no PS3 version yet (of the 1st one)

switchblade327
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks and feels beautiful guys (both Blur and Bioware). Loved ME (and all the other Bioware games) and am sure I'll love ME2.

My only gripe about the marketing machine is the slapping of Shepherd's bald space marine mug all over everything to do with this game when I distinctly remember my Shepherd being a pretty lady. I know there's been a lot of focus on supporting characters in the promo material which is great but seeing so much of this not-Shepherd Shepherd makes it feel so much less like the game I played and loved.

Not like you guys are going to lose a sale over it or anything but it bugs me.

FreespaceFilms
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Looks and feels beautiful guys (both Blur and Bioware). Loved ME (and all the other Bioware games) and am sure I'll love ME2.

My only gripe about the marketing machine is the slapping of Shepherd's bald space marine mug all over everything to do with this game when I distinctly remember my Shepherd being a pretty lady. I know there's been a lot of focus on supporting characters in the promo material which is great but seeing so much of this not-Shepherd Shepherd makes it feel so much less like the game I played and loved.

Not like you guys are going to lose a sale over it or anything but it bugs me.

I know what you mean, switchblade, but if they made Shepard a pretty lady in the marketing content, the other half of the player database would feel weird. :)

I'm going to be playing Mass Effect 2 at least twice.

First time, I'll be taking my female Shepard from Mass Effect 1 into it. But the second time, I'll use the default Shepard, just so that I feel like I'm the one in all the marketing posters/trailers. :beer:

hibb
12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
mass effect 1 was so cool. story, gfx and gameplaywise...definitely one of my very favorites. this trailer looks awesome and i cant wait any longer :D

switchblade327
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I know what you mean, switchblade, but if they made Shepard a pretty lady in the marketing content, the other half of the player database would feel weird. :)

That wasn't my wish. Shepherd, male or female was highly customizable. It's not the gender thing that bugs me; it's that Shepherd's face is being slapped all over the marketing like his image is a marque character like a Master Chief or Marcus Fenix. Shepherd is a marque character in the story but shouldn't be made into such an icon.

What I think they should've done is simple; don't show Shepherd so damn much in these trailers. Talk about Shepherd, show Shepherd's companions and Shepherd's world. Just don't try to convince me that Shepherd looks like the guy from "Prison Break."

Let me put it another way: the face on the front of the damn ME2 game box will be nowhere to be found in my game.

Lunatique
12-15-2009, 05:02 AM
What I think they should've done is simple; don't show Shepherd so damn much in these trailers. Talk about Shepherd, show Shepherd's companions and Shepherd's world. Just don't try to convince me that Shepherd looks like the guy from "Prison Break."

My Shepard was a stone cold foxy blond with steely blue eyes and a determined face, so I feel weird looking at all the ME promo stuff too. I almost NEVER use default characters if I have the option to customize. I can't remember how past games with customizable characters dealt with marketing--anyone remember?

FreespaceFilms
12-16-2009, 12:32 AM
My Shepard was a stone cold foxy blond with steely blue eyes and a determined face, so I feel weird looking at all the ME promo stuff too. I almost NEVER use default characters if I have the option to customize. I can't remember how past games with customizable characters dealt with marketing--anyone remember?

Most such games are RPGs, and those either show the villains and allies in the marketing stuff ( ex: Oblivion, KOTOR ), or possible versions of heroes that you might create ( ex: WoW ).

They also cleverly avoid showing the player character in cinematics. :)

Dragon Age from Bioware also did this in a great manner: seamless in-game cinematics blended with pre-recorded cinematics ( all the epic army fights ).

MikeNash
12-16-2009, 07:19 AM
looks really good, but all their eye lid winks are in like a slow-mo state, ruins facial animations.

FreespaceFilms
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
It's the 22nd. Where's the full trailer? :applause:

Zerflag
12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
i'm told it's only available on xbox live.

FreespaceFilms
12-23-2009, 12:26 AM
i'm told it's only available on xbox live.

Well I'd understand they get exclusivity for today, but we will all get to see it eventually, right?

Zerflag
12-23-2009, 12:30 AM
maybe? dunno.

evolucian
12-23-2009, 12:35 AM
its out now, check the cg news section

Zerflag
12-23-2009, 12:53 AM
oh, would you look at that? hooray.

switchblade327
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Lunatique, I totally agree (my Shepard was a redhead though :)). I never use the default and have had a hard time getting into the otherwise great RPGs that force a character on me (Planescape Torment and The Witcher, most notably).

Most such games are RPGs, and those either show the villains and allies in the marketing stuff ( ex: Oblivion, KOTOR ), or possible versions of heroes that you might create ( ex: WoW ). ( all the epic army fights ).

Dragon Age print ads show some dude with face tattoos sometimes but they never say who it is. Otherwise, what you said; they play up the key NPCs, the villains, the world, the atmosphere etc. The trailer/intro for Neverwinter Nights 2 was a cool cinematic of two badass guys fighting and at some point in the game you meet both of them.

Looking at other old game trailers, KOTOR shows gameplay with some guy but never says "this is YOU!" or gives him any kind of identity. Oblivion's trailer is the same. Both heavily emphasize the setting. ME2 has been promoting the NPCs as well, which is awesome. They do such a great job of talking up a faceless, genderless "Shepard" in game. I think they could play that up in the trailers.

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.