PDA

View Full Version : NPR texture models - links

KenM
08-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone browsing this forum has an interest in non-photoreal rendering?

An excellent set of links on the subject can be found at:
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/npr/

playmesumch00ns
08-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I've written a NPR plug-in for Maya, Patrick Jean is also lurking round here somewhere: he's the author of Tomcat Toonshade plug-in for Maya.

KenM
08-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Play, did you work particle distribution into your shader? Do you have samples online? I'd be interested in reading about your research-to-writing process, that is, what you feel free to share in a public forum. Cheers!

playmesumch00ns
08-26-2003, 09:10 AM
It was a renderer rather than a shader.

Basically I followed Barbara Meier's method and stuck particles all over the surface of a mesh. Then I took a leaf out of Interrante et. al's book and grew paint strokes along the estimated principal directions of curvature. Then I rendered these strokes in 2D.

All of my work had varying levels of success, the killer was time. Spent 9 months working on it, but still didn't have time to finish it properly. If only I had time to attack it again...

Research-to-writing process was something like

Read EVERY paper even vaguely related to NPR
Build up a list of cool features from these papers, and extensions I thought of myself
Try to figure out a way to render all these effects (pencil, paint, pastel, ink etc) in one unified framework
Just get down to it and start coding

Like I said, some bits worked really well, other bits not so well, but generally I was pretty pleased with the results.

Milho
08-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Talking of NPR

Check out this http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/
Got this url yesterday on #cgchar. Very cool stuff. I'm currently planning an exporter for maya. Can't wait for the linux version.

Don't miss the videos on their page their are :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.