PDA

View Full Version : which AMD-760 MPX mobo should i get?

septi
05-19-2002, 04:00 AM
hello, im ready to build my new pc and im having trouble deciding which amd- 760 mpx mobo i should get, i was thinking the Gigabyte Ga-7dpxdw, has anybody used this board and is it any good, if not which board should i get, i want the most stable board not the fastest. :wavey:

thanks
septi

3DMadness
05-19-2002, 05:47 PM
I've never heard about problems with ASUS A7M266-D, so I always recommend it! ;)
BTW, it's a really nice board...
Cheers!

3D Madness

hrydek
05-19-2002, 10:34 PM
I use Asus A7M266-D and it works perfectly fine. One problem is with integrated music card - it's sucks- I've got troubles with driver (cmaudio.sys) and Win2K crashes, but I thing installing new sound card could solve the problem.

Cheers!!

ZrO-1
05-19-2002, 11:43 PM
The Asus A7M266-D is a nice board. I'd say it's more of a general purpose board than a hard-core workstation board, plus as the very first mobo to come out with the MPX chipset it's getting a little long in the tooth. If you really want the most bleeding-edge, stable, and option equiped AMD board for workstation use there is only one that I'd recomend.
And that would be the Tyan Thunder K7X S2468. This board kicks-a$$. I am currently on the orriginal K7 and love it, so this new board should really rock. It looks to have all the right stuff.
Here's a snippet from the site:
Attention Thunder K7 fans! The long-awaited successor to the Thunder K7 is expected for release this quarter. The upcoming Thunder K7X is designed around the AMD-760 MPX chipset, and features a 66MHz 64-bit PCI bus. Plus, it still includes many of the features found on its predecessor including, dual LAN ports, Adaptec SCSI, angled DDR DIMM sockets and more!

Tellerve
05-21-2002, 10:31 PM
woohoo something I can weigh in on. First off check out www.2cpu.com's forum on motherboards and read about each one. The asus can have problems if your not careful. I personnally have the Gigabyte 7dpxdw board and with the newest bios it is doing pretty well for me. If I were to do it over again, however, I would get the newest MSI board as it has the fixed southbridge and from all I've read is a better overclocking board. That might not be a factor for you, however, so here are my further suggestions.

1. Get a good brand name and powerful psu. Antec, Power and Cooling, Enermax. I have a 431watt enermax psu.

2. Registered Ram if you want to end up having a lot of ram, some boards can take unregistered but only in the first two banks.

3. Read up on your components and just see what others have done. You probably might want to go MPs if you have the money. I went XP processors and haven't had any trouble but if you get some of the highest clocked XPs, 2000+ and 2100+ I've heard/seen they have a bridge cut so you'd have to do some work to get them to operate in SMP mode. Mine, retail 1800+'s, from newegg.com work and register as MPs fine.

PM me if you have any other questions

Tellerve

septi
05-22-2002, 03:42 AM
thanks everyone, still trying to make a decision, ill let you guys know what i choose to get and tell you how it is, still leaning on the gigabyte because of the onboard ide raid and lan, saving two needed slots.

thanks
septi

Tellerve
05-24-2002, 02:08 AM
*nods* Cool, let me know if you have any questions about the board you want answered.

Tellerve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.