PDA

View Full Version : Composite paint on empty canvas!

Brinky
12-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm having trouble fixing a shot for a schoolproject. We shoot a kid in front of a empty canvas with trackpoint on the empty canvas. The tracking and all is going pretty well. The problem is fixing the paint itself.

It need to 'fall/slide' off the canvas. I already tested with a digital painting and smudge/liquify but that doesn't work. Also I filmed inkt/paint sliding down a piece of paper to use as a Material map with CC Glass but without the perfect solution.

My next idea was to film a real painting on a canvas and then let the paint slide of by letting water/terp tine drip on there. Then composite this back into the scene.

If anyone has any idea or tips to make this more realistic or to make me work faster and efficient, I would be happy to hear :)

This is the shot it's about:
http://www.studiowoods.nl/downloads/ckv.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Stephan

beaker
12-13-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't know what 3d package you are using but Maya has some really nice paint tools in paintfx which can be animated to drip and act like real watercolor, oils, smudging, dripping, etc... and other types of paint.

There used to be a paintfx plugin from Alias for afterfx but it was dumped many years ago. Too bad because it was a very powerful plugin.

RogerWickes
12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
If you textured a plane with the image of the painting, then you could just animate the plane to slide off and down the easel.

th3ta
12-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Well the real thing is always going to look the most believable. Not sure of the exact look you're going for, but I would explore the route of shooting some footage of real paint dripping down the way you want and comp that in.

You can play with diluting the paint with water, or linseed oil, or use different type of paints for different consistencies.

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2009, 04:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.