PDA

View Full Version : System requrements

jono338
08-22-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi,

I noted the opengl 1.2 system requirements of messiah, and that they say ATI are to be avoided. I have an ATI Fire GL 8800, which is opengl accelerated, but I cant seem to find out if it's opengl 1.2 compatible. I know it's getting a bit old now, but hard to think a GeForce 2 which they say should be OK would be better than a Fire GL 8800?

Cheers,
Jono

Qslugs
08-22-2003, 05:06 AM
Believe it. I was fine using a 1st generation geforce ddr board on a dual pentium III 700 (with messiah) until I got a new computer last summer. I now use a quadro 2 ex board and it is working fine. ATI is infamous for lousy drivers, There have been several people that have gotten ATI boards to work though. There may actually be no issues with the current round of drivers, and I think you're using something a bit better than the standard raedon board.

The good thing is that if you did get messiah and it did have unresolvable issues, you could pick up a geforce or quadro based board for not that much money.

jono338
08-22-2003, 05:21 AM
Yeah, but it would be hard to pull out a card worth what I paid for it (though it's not worth that now, but heck , I did fork out the bucks) to put in a gaming card.

The other thing I don't get, opengl compliance is a driver issue, not a hardware issue, though hardware can be used to speed the functionality, and it's hard to work out how ATi would be slack about their opengl compliance, seeing as they have a seat on the OpenGL Standards board.

I guess there's more money in gaming and DirectX.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.