PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Reel

xZeroSignalx
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello, I've recently revised my demo reel and thought I post it and share with everybody. Everything from the modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, and lighting, to all the hair, fur, cloth, particles, and compositing were done all myself. The only thing I didn't do were the smoke and fire effects in the 'jump' animation, which I used from a Video Copilot DVD. Enjoy:

http://www.vimeo.com/7660250

nakimushi
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Its really good reel man /
but for me there is a small gap between your acting and physical animations
you much better in first ;)
they look more natural then lets say jump animation or dance
anyway its a nice reel !!!

xZeroSignalx
12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks man.. yeah, I've been wanting to go back and revise that jump animation, as well as the 'lifting the catfood' one. I'm working on something else right now, so I'll get to it some day. I'm a little on the fence with the dance too; probably need to smooth that out a bit.

nakimushi
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
or you could concentrate on acting and be really good in that ;)
its not like every animator have to be strong in every type of animation
good luck anyway

xZeroSignalx
12-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Right on. Yeah, I've always felt I was much better at the acting and dialogue/facial side of animation. I do try focusing more on that, but like would like to be more rounded... always trying to better myself. :wip: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) You're welcome to cite any specific critiques if you like.

jurffy
12-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Enjoyed the reel, are you just coming out of school? If so, which school?

xZeroSignalx
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks! I actually graduated about six years ago from Full Sail in Winter Park, FL. Unfortunately I still have no industry experience and am currently applying around to for a character animator job. I was only 20 when I graduated so, I wasn't in any rush to hop into the real world. So I've spent the years learning and practicing, and finding my style.. time flew way too fast. :surprised

CGOutcast
12-14-2009, 02:07 AM
I like the rigging you did, the animation is pretty good but it almost feels a lil mo-capped to me for some reason, your facial work and hand movements are what stood out to me. That jump is a lil to small to get an employers attention though, make it a big gap so you build a suspense, and if you're going for strictly a character animation job leave those sketches at the end out, theyre great but its not what your applying for ya know. Keep it up and GOOD LUCK!

xZeroSignalx
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey, thanks for the input. I've had a few people tell me that jump was should be more exciting. When I was working on it I was going for something more natural looking (and added a little goofy-ness). But after watching it so many times, and hearing other people's suggestions, it's definitely on my to-do list. And I'm not married to having my sketches on my reel. I hear a bunch of different "do's and don't's" for reels and some say people employers like to see a traditional art background. So I figured 'what the hell'. But next time I tweak my reel I suppose I'll take them out. I was somewhat 'iffy' about them anyways.
:beer: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.