PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Simulation

particlefx
12-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Hi guys,
I need to create crowd scene within maya...

Shot requirement

1.Crowd of people standing in the middle of the road.
2.Car comes in between from behind.
3.Crowd splits and runs away from the center in both direction towards the side of the road.
4.Then crowd stops at the side of the road.

suggest me a method to achieve the above simulation....

SePu
12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
there's different ways to approach this, you can start looking at Instancer in Maya ...

mandark1011
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
what you would need is some animations of a standing milling about crowd then a running set.
bake these out to a geometry piece per frame of your animation.

attach to your particles and write an expression for object index based on what behavior when.

you could achieve this with an event based system... hidden geometry that collides with the particle (resilience to -1) that triggers your behavioral change.

good luck

TheRispo
12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi.. you could also try driving the particles based on the distance to the car.. so when the car gets near them the particles will move away... I made a simple scene demostrating just that.. hope it helps (done with maya 2009).

Edit: sorry.. didn't read trough what you were aiming to.. my particles move away and then return to their original position when the car gets away
Also.. if your scene permits it (maybe if the camara is not to close to the crowd).. use sprites instead of instanced Geo, you'll get a lot less troubles and a lot more preformance...

Aikiman
12-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Following on from the above comments using the instancer, you could attach a radial field to the vehicle which could not only drive the particles away from the car but you could use the input force value to change the index cycle. You could also use the magnitude of velocity to determine the speed of the cycle so that everybodies cycle rate was slightly different depending on their speed. These are just ideas.

Bonedaddy
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
There's definitely going to be (a LOT of) limitations on how far you can push this using just Maya's instancer. To get it really looking good, you will have to sink some hours developing what is essentially an AI system to switch between different instancer cycles, and it may never end up looking that smooth.

For something like this, while it is certainly possible to use Maya (I'd try for a plugin like BrainBugz), a dedicated crowds solution like Massive or Softimage Behavior will make your life a lot easier, and look better in the end anyways.

particlefx
12-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Thank you guys for your reply..

I would try the suggested method and post the best result for your suggestion....

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2009, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.