PDA

View Full Version : patronus

kweso
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
hey...
how would you create a patronus effect (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/5/5f/Luna's_Patronus.gif) in maya? i tried a little bit with particles, but i never get such a softness. hrb with motionblur does not really help, because iŽd only blur acording to the camera-movement...
thx
kws

particlefx
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi kweso,
u can try it with ...

1.ncloth simulation with proper shader.
2.emitting high resolution detailed fluid from the cloth mesh .

JonK723
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with an ncloth simulation. Create a plane, convert it to an ncloth mesh. Apply a component constraint between the cloth and a moving object (ie a sphere or something for the cloth the follow). For shading the cloth you can use a simple ramp texture for both the opacity and the color. Bump up the incandescence of the texture to make a fake glow. You might need to create more than one ncloth object to get the randomness of the streaks.

Bonedaddy
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Stuff like that is generally done with tons and tons and tons of particles, birthed and moved around using different noise fields. Do a couple passes of that to achieve different parts of the effect (swirl, tail, etc), layer them together, should achieve the same effect. Only prob is that Maya's out-of-the-box particle rendering leaves a bit to be desired.

You could try doing something similar with nCloth or softbodies, and get something that looks kind of similar, but I think you'll have trouble art directing it the last 10-20 percent of the way there.

Also, consider that these effects probably took quite a bit of time and vision to put together, so don't fret if it doesn't come together overnight.

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.