PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush --> Maya Texture/Shader Issue

papalati
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Im trying to work on a process to model a hipoly model in Zbrush and then recreate the lowpoly model in Maya. Here are my steps so far...

(I used the new tutorial from Gnomon Workshop for Modeling Next Gen Characters...)

1. In Maya I created a very low poly model to start with in Zbrush.

2. Imported that model into Zbrush and used it to create a hipoly model.

3. I then imported the hipoly model back into Maya and created a lowpoly game model on top of it. I also layed out the UVs of the low poly model at this time.

4. I then took both models into xNormal to create the normal map. It worked perfectly. Normal map looks great, I can also go back into Maya and adjust the UVs of the lowpoly model if I need to and regen the normal map.

My problem now is two things...

1. I also polypainted the hipoly model in Zbrush but when I try to export it of course the UVs wont match up with the low poly model.

2. xNormal has the option to create a base texture but when I try to do it with the same process as the normal map it just makes the texture a solid red.

Im wondering if when Im exporting the hipoly from zbrush that it isnt exporting the texture information with it. So xNormal cant pull the texture info from the hipoly model.

Any help or advice, or a better workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

papalati
12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
After reviewing what i wrote I realize that I might have drawn it out a little more than needed. So the bottom line is this.

1. Create HighRez Model in ZBrush.

2. Want to transfer it to Maya to create LowRez object for gaming.

3. Want to export the diffuse, spec, and normal maps out of Zbrush to the LowRez in Maya.

So my question REALLY is:

How do I do the UVs of the hires in Zbrush to match the lowres in Maya?

Thanks in advance.

Dare-o
12-09-2009, 02:16 PM
have you tried uving the low res version in maya first before zbrushing it?

papalati
12-09-2009, 02:36 PM
have you tried uving the low res version in maya first before zbrushing it?

Do you mean laying out the UVs before importing it as a base mesh into Zbrush?

Lets say I model a character to a subdivision of 7 in Zbrush, but I started with an extremely basic form in Maya. Laying out the UVs in there wont help will it, especially if I modifying the mesh alot, will it?

Thanks for responding.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.