PDA

View Full Version : MAYA Create mesh from a grey scale

m4nu
12-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi all,

I used maya years ago and i remmeber using such an effect i just can t remember how to.
What i want is to create geometry from a grayscale image, the image is just some basic gray squares. (i remember using it to generate random height bulding for a cityscape).
I do not want to use displacement or bump as i need actual mesh, that i can work with.
If anyone could show me a way to do so, it d be greatly appreciated.

m4nu
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
i forgot to mention that i know the displacement map Then convert to polygons technique, i would like a more straight foward technique (a little bit like the cinema 4d primitve > relief one)
Hope someone has a solution

Thanks

MrJuzah
12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Have you attempted creating a poly plane and using the greyscale image as a height-map?
would only work for a Symetrical object ofcourse.

Cant test it out right now as im on my girlfriends laptop but, it works for me in other programs where its possible to use greyscale images to create a mesh. (i.e. g2h maps in DAZ Bryce)

Hope i helped, if not, im sorry lol

Jay

InfernalDarkness
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
There are many, many ways to do this. Displacement mapping is the quickest, but another option is to open Visor and pull the fluid-image-displacement example up, and play with that one.

Window -> General Editors -> Visor -> Fluid Examples -> Techniques, if you have trouble locating this example. There's two there: Heightfield and Terrain.

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.