PDA

View Full Version : My new site...

t0v3
08-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi guys, heres a site i've recently finished, would like some feedback :) http://www.t0v3.com thanks very much

elektroharmonix
08-22-2003, 09:22 AM
whoa thats krazy dude....im feelin it for sure....how did u get the quality of ur pics so good? im startin up a site myself and just wanted to know...
elektro

kariefury
08-25-2003, 02:34 AM
It's awfully small on my screen (21in 1240 res) the text is hard to read. Also I had too look closly to find all the of link's. does it load when you are in projects and click next? I couldn't get it to got to the next project.

Very intresting to look at though. It was constatly moving and keeping my intrest.

Voursez
08-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Really nice design, but i think all that Flash, keeps visitors interests, away from your 3d-work...

nimba
09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
err.. why do so many web designers rip off 2advanced stuff all the time....

well sure.. i mean... you "could" dive into a creative river of thought and spit out something radical and new for the community... but who needs that - we have cookie cutter designs to rip off!

Bradf0rd010
09-05-2003, 05:19 AM
I don't think it's a 2adv rip off at all.
nimba, no offence, but your comments regarding flash seem to revolve around kissing 2adv ass. They don't have domain over all flash content that adheres to a certain design ethic.

t0v3, as mentioned, people are going to have usability headaches at higher resolutions, but in my opinion (1280*1024) it looks sharp and is tightly put together.
Well done :thumbsup:

Ian Jones
09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Nice. My crits: The slightly unreadable font and the buttons like 'wallpaper', 'projects' and 'contacts on the left took me longer to find than they should have. I think some contrast is needed there.

One other thing. In the gallery with the scrolling image thumbnails, I found it responding in an awkward manner. Kind of confusing... yes a novelty but a bit disorienting at the same time. Also why can't I click on an image to view the larger version? having to click on the 'view' button as the only way to access the larger images is a bit annoying. Especially considering that the mouseover cursor change was telling my mind otherwise.

'but quite comfatable using swift3d' - comfortable

'an I like walking' - and? I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Despite the spelling errors I like the casual style of your about section.

Doh. Found another spelling mistake. In the links section one of the buttons is spelt 'freinds'.

Hey, sorry.. I don't want to come across as a spelling natzy... :)

Overall I like it. Pity there isn't some more content to look at! get to it!

Aelius
09-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Note: My crit is for the Flash site only.

At first, I didn't think it looked like 2 advanced. (Apart from the blatant "Perspectives" in your intro!!!) So many flash newbies use that excuse to complain about anything vaguely futuristic looking! It's that annoying 'blinky, zippy' animated style that does it - but it suits your content, I guess. On second look though, the shapes and transitions you use are almost identical to the previous 2Adv site (the old blue one).

But that aside, I think it's way too busy and distracts the viewer from your work, which is a shame. When I first opened it, I could figure out what I was supposed to be looking at first.

A handy communication design tip: When you animate all your windows opening and content appearing, do them in some sort of order. A good flash designer will introduce the viewer to each portion of the website one at a time, guiding their eye around the screen and making sense of all the information there. The last thing to appear should be the first thing you want them to look at. Yours is almost there, but there's too much going on at once to understand it, and you slip in the most important part of the site (the menu) without so much as a murmur. I didn't know it was there at first! Especially having it spread out in different places and blending in so much with the backdrop.

I know a lot of designers like to leave the viewer in a state of disorientation, and let them figure the navigation out themselves, but when you're pitching your work in an already over-crowded marketplace, you can't afford to lose your audience's attention by frustrating them. They'll just go somewhere else!

I didn't really look at much of the content, as it all looked the same and still I don't know a lot about you. But I can guess that you're probably straight out of highschool and haven't had the opportunity yet to work on a variety of jobs and styles.

I'm trying to be as helpful as possible here, so I'll end with some constructive thoughts:
The quality of the graphics themselves are top-notch, very polished if not particularly innovative
The animations are slick and tight, but again, nothing new
The layout is fine, but you really should draw more attention to your menu
The animated opening of all the windows are great, but you should do them one at a time and end on the menu for maximum effect and useability
I agree with Ian Jones about the projects menu, let the viewer click on the image to open it, or disable the hand cursor using "myButton_btn.useHandCursor = false;" so as not to make the viewer think it's a button
Run your text through a spell checker
Maybe think about devoting more screen space to your content - a lot of the screen is taken up with backdrop which isn't the thing you're selling

Just remember that there are hundreds of Flash newbies out there who can do all these quick, zippy animations and transitions, but what makes a site sexy is it's ability to make the audience feel comfortable in their surroundings.

When you go to someone's house, they'll take you round the room and introduce you to their friends one at a time, then sit you down and ask you if you'd like something to drink.

A website should work the same way. Unless you're an artist. But that's another story...:)

t0v3
09-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Thought I had email notifacation on which is why I hadn;t checked up on this thread thinking no one replied. Anyways...

I've took in everything you've all said, and appreciate it your efforts for trying to help and improve on it. Apart from the guy who said its a 2A rip off. That really annoys me as i spent alot of work on it, and did not copy 2A. I could so easily have gone for the same layout as there old one as many many people do. But went against it. An i'm glad I did.

So i'm currenly working on improving the menu so its easier to spot. An also working on improving the various content. Also thanks for correcting some spelling mistakes, i'll fix that also. If you would like to see a few images i've come up with since you can view them with the links below. Once again thanks for the great reviews, much better than a usual "yeah looks cool" ect.

http://images.t0rsiontk.co.uk/t0v4.jpg

http://images.t0rsiontk.co.uk/superbike.jpg

http://images.t0rsiontk.co.uk/lemans.jpg

(Sorry about the swear word in them, thought it seemed like a cool caption)

Ian Jones
09-08-2003, 02:20 AM
nice new images! swearing is no problem at all...

Ignore the fool who said 2ADV.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.