PDA

View Full Version : Softening shadows

MissOptimist
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
This is my environment so far:
http://i48.tinypic.com/mcpyso.jpg

For the sunlight, I'm using directional light. I think the edges of the light look too hard, how can I soften these sunlight edges?

Fumetsu
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
If you are using ray traced shadows, you can increase the light radius (keep in mind, you will need to increase the shadow rays as well to avoid the grainy look).

For a depth map shadow, increase the filter size.

MissOptimist
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
If you are using ray traced shadows, you can increase the light radius (keep in mind, you will need to increase the shadow rays as well to avoid the grainy look).

For a depth map shadow, increase the filter size.

ok thanks. that fixed the problem. :bowdown: Do you use maya? how can I get rid of the hot spots as you can see at the corners of my wall? I used filter and set it to 5, that didn't work. I then used Merge distance with the setting of 0.2, unsuccessful. I made sure that there is no hole between the ceiling and the wall, the whole house is a whole cube, so I don't know why that hot spot is there. Beveling the sides of the wall didn't get rid of the bright hot spot either. Have any of you came across this problem and how did you fix this?

weerawan
12-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Try to give some thickness to your room by "extrude" them.Hope it help.

cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2009, 05:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.