PDA

View Full Version : Kidrow's Sketchbook

kidrow
12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi all! I've always loved drawing & painting, & pursued it diligently as a kid & in my teens. However, somewhere along the way, I just stopped practicing. Now, after about 6-7 years, having discovered the digital medium, I want to start anew.

I'm overawed by the work on display & am actually hesitant to post my work. However, I figure that I stand to lose greatly by not having my work up for critique.

I really don't know any technical stuff. I never went to art classes [except the sessions we had in school]. So I'm hoping to learn the nuances & finer aspects [with your help, of course] as I go along.

Lastly, though this is a sketchbook thread, I won't really be posting anything in the way of sketches cos they are not good enough. I still have a long way to go when it comes to speed [apparent from my posts in the daily sketch forum]. So most of my posts will be stuff I've spent some time on.

I've been inspired by the progress people have made in the many "journey" threads around. So there's hope for me as well.

Please help me improve & grow. Critique, no matter how harsh, is always welcome.

Thanks!

kidrow
12-06-2009, 09:50 AM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3148/bluefacez.jpg

One of the very first attempts at digital painting. Done in photoshop & took about 3-4 hours. This is the only size/resolution I have as I didn't have a clue about these aspects. I wanted to create something bigger, but ended up with this tiny image.

kidrow
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6579/rockguitaristforweb.jpg

Done from a bunch of photo references, in photoshop. It took me the best part of a Sunday, & whatever time I could manage in the following week, to complete.

The guitarist was the only focus of attention. The background was an afterthought, once he was rendered.

soundwaves
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Is that Dave Mustaine? sweet!

kidrow
12-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I did use Mustaine's photos as ref. I wasn't really aiming for a likeness, however. I suspect the blonde hair, & the wristbands have given you a clue more than anything else. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2009, 04:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.