PDA

View Full Version : Using a texture to displace geometry

mushroomgod
12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi

Is there a way to use a b&w image to displace a simple plane in zbrush - I need to extrude (kinda) some text out (and in) of an object, and it needs to be quite high res too.

cheers!

DoctorMonkeyFist
12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I think the easiest way would be to create a plane in zbrush or if you need exact dimensions create it in another app the subdivide it to a high resolution(turn off smart div). load up your texture and mask by intensity. Then use the deformation pallette-inflate. probably just on the z axis. Then invert the mask and inflate negatively for the crevaces. But this technique will depend alot on the resolution of the mesh so it might not give you the resolution you want.
Hope that helps!

wwswimming
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi

Is there a way to use a b&w image to displace a simple plane in zbrush - I need to extrude (kinda) some text out (and in) of an object, and it needs to be quite high res too.

cheers!

yes. that's one of the things ZBrush excels at, painting with displacement maps.

it'll be as high res as you make it. within ZBrush you can make it so high res you won't see the pixelation.

oglu
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
there is a feature for in mud...
maps --> sculpt model using dispmap...

jfrancis
12-08-2009, 05:33 PM
In ZBrush can you make an 'alpha channel' out of the text and the drag it into a rectangle using the drag rectangle brush setting?

gozzer
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
i just realised that i just posted a question about this and i have found an answer this is a tuturial on doing this. It is for zbrush2 but it will work for 3
http://www.surlybird.com/tutorials/textogeometry/index.html

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.