PDA

View Full Version : Weird face selection

Softlion
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with my Maya 2009. When I select a face on my polygon, it sometimes (instead of the front face) selects the back-face from where I'm clicking. I hope this is some weird Maya preference, but it's really annoying and I can't seem to find out where I can reset the preference to normal.

I've made a little video of my problem, so U can see what I'm talking about.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M31fEzVXmo">Video of my problem</a>

Please help me, I need to use this program for school and I cannot make my homework with this problem.

hkspowers
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
That is a strange problem I have had problems with it selecting the front and back face but never just the back. You might want to try and post your question in the modeling section, there's probably a better chance of someone over there having experienced your same problem. :)

stooch
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
go to display options and show polygon normals:

display > polygons > face normals.

make sure all normals are facing out.
if not, go to polygons and reverse normals on the offending face.

are your render options for that cube set to double sided by any chance?

Wick3dParticle
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't think its the normals, because even with reversed normals I never had selection problems. It almost looks like you have you face selection based off of face center, but I don't think that's the case here. Does this happen with every object you create? Sometimes a good solution to these odd results are just dumping your prefs folder, and starting up maya with fresh preferences.

~Ilan

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.