PDA

View Full Version : Toon Outlines on Smooth Mesh Preview

martypapapapa
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi, I want to create a toon effect on my character model and I'm rendering with mental ray.
I would like to use the maya toon pfx outlines, so i know i have to convert them to polygon before I render.

The problem is, that when I apply the outline on my model with smooth mesh preview on, it is applying the effect to the low poly model, and hence, creating a jagged unappealing outline.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that my outlines are being applied to the smooth mesh, I'm not keen on changing from my smooth mesh preview style of animating as I find it very easy to rig and modify.

Thank you in advance.

Marty

InfernalDarkness
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
If you're rendering with mental ray, is there any reason you can't just use contour shaders?

Are you trying to have the outlines visible in the viewport, or only in your final render?

martypapapapa
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
If you're rendering with mental ray, is there any reason you can't just use contour shaders?

Are you trying to have the outlines visible in the viewport, or only in your final render?
I only really need the outlines in the render, so I don't mind whether they are in the viewport or not. I have tried mental ray contours in the past on several occasions, but I just can't get them to match the maya toon pfx outlines. If there is no way to do what I'm asking I guess I'll just have to go back to the mental ray contour shaders.

Thank you for responding.

djx
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Marty, I've done this in the past using a smooth proxy (aka subdiv proxy).

Toon lines depend on the underlying surface so you can get better results using a subdiv proxy with high subdivions. You can then hide the smooth mesh (it is only needed for the toon lines) and render with your low res mesh using the smooth-preview method (or better still a subdivision approximation).

Updates to the toon lines will be slower while you animate, so you probably want to hide them until render time.

-- David

martypapapapa
12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you David, I will definitely take this on board. Thank you for your help.

Marty

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.