PDA

View Full Version : Render Speeds For Different Processors

maxmetalman
12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
For those guys out there that actually do alot of 3dsmax work on laptops it's not always easy to know how much power you need for what you do. Maybe you render on your laptop. Maybe it is used as a supplemental machine for rendering.

Very little information is out there on how low clock speed Core i7's compare to Core 2 Duos, Core2 Quads and higher clocked Core i7's for 3dsmax rendering.

The operating system and render engine some feel is relevant. I feel it makes little difference but will list my results which are not scientific, but definately give people an idea of what to expect, for dollar to rendertime for 3dsmax.

All results were done using the same frames of animation. 4 frames rendered and average time taken. All using VRay. 720x480. RAM usage for Max did not exceed 2GB.

Core2 Duo 2.0Ghz laptop XP-32 910 sec

Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz desktop XP-64 365 sec

Corei7 720QM 1.6Ghz laptop self over clock to 1.73Ghz 7-64 360 sec
(8 Threads)

Corei7 920 3.5Ghz desktop locked overclock speed Vista-64 180 sec
(8 Threads)

I just bought the Toshiba X500 and it is half as fast as my Corei7 3.5Ghz. Fabulous laptop, full keyboard with number pad, 2 physical harddrives, big screen. If you do alot of 3dsmax or graphics work look this one up. Pricey, but for render power I am quite happy. If you are thinking of getting a Core2 Quad laptop now you know roughly where it will be in terms of a Corei7 laptop. Just shows you how old Ghz numbers (Core2 era) and new Ghz numbers (Core i7 era) really make a difference for 3dsmax rendering.

DanHibiki
12-02-2009, 06:49 PM
would this help? :

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/3DS-Max-2009,Marque_fbrandx14,1380.html
smaller is better.

maxmetalman
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Like I said before. It doesn't show low clock speed Corei7's. Particularily laptops.

JavaJones
12-02-2009, 09:51 PM
This seems like a perfect use for a benchmarking site. Check out www.3dspeedmachine.com and add your results. The more people who participate, the better the info for everyone. Eventually, given enough results in the DB, these questions can hopefully be addressed just by visiting the site.

Full disclosure: this happens to be my benchmarking site, but don't let that dissuade you from its utility. ;)

- Oshyan

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2009, 09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.